Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error when starting STS after upgrade

Hello!

Today I received notification to update STS and I clicked OK!
    But when time came to restart STS I did not do that instead I just continued working.

Unfortunately now when I start STS it does not start and exception in log file is :
    Code:
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2013-07-11 15:57:41.578
    !MESSAGE Unable to create class 'org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.CommandServiceAddon' from bundle '256'
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.ClassCastException: Cannot cast org.eclipse.core.commands.CommandManager to org.eclipse.core.commands.CommandManager
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:63)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:861)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:113)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:321)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:255)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:185)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: Cannot cast org.eclipse.core.commands.CommandManager to org.eclipse.core.commands.CommandManager
    	at java.lang.Class.cast(Class.java:3014)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.contexts.EclipseContext.get(EclipseContext.java:561)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.CommandServiceAddon.init(CommandServiceAddon.java:30)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
    	... 26 more

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2013-07-11 15:57:41.640
    !MESSAGE Unable to create class 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.addons.CommandProcessingAddon' from bundle '269'
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: Unable to process "CommandProcessingAddon.commandService": no actual value was found for the argument "ECommandService".
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.reportUnresolvedArgument(InjectorImpl.java:396)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.resolveRequestorArgs(InjectorImpl.java:387)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:102)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:321)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:185)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:105)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:71)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:49)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createE4Workbench(E4Application.java:258)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:557)
    	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
    	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
    	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
    	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench 4 0 2013-07-11 15:57:41.656
    !MESSAGE Unable to create class 'org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.util.BindingProcessingAddon' from bundle '272'
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: Unable to process "BindingProcessingAddon.commandService": no actual value was found for the argument "ECommandService".
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.reportUnresolvedArgument(InjectorImpl.java:396)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.resolveRequestorArgs(InjectorImpl.java:387)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:102)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:105)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:71)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:49)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createE4Workbench(E4Application.java:258)
    	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
    	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2013-07-11 15:57:43.671
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.processHierarchy(E4Workbench.java:172)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.init(E4Workbench.java:118)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.<init>(E4Workbench.java:69)
    	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application.createE4Workbench(E4Application.java:306)
    Does anybody know what to do here!

Thanks!

Hey!

It looks like the Eclipse platform state got corrupted in this process. You can try to start Eclipse/STS with the "-clean" option. If that doesn't help, I would recommend starting with a fresh STS 3.3.0 installation.

In case you have many additional plugins installed, I would recommend to take a look at this script:
    https://gist.github.com/martinlippert/5155155

It allows you to bulk-install plugins into an existing Eclipse/STS installation, so that you can run this installation from the command line once and you are done (instead of going through the UI several times).

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Thanks for reply!

I downloaded latest sts yesterday and already tried new feature 'Quick Text Search'. This is just what I wanted for a long time. Before I had to type word in java class, select it and then search.

I used the same workspace and everything is in place. All my key bindings, preferences, even opened tabs, all is the same.

Hovewer I frequently experience problems with sts performance. I have 2GB of RAM, Celeron 1.80 GHz.
      In STS.config I have :
      Code:
      --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
      256M
      -vmargs
      -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
      -Xms40m
      -Xmx768m
      -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
      STS is starting really slowly and sometimes it suspends for seconds while opening new files.

Can you suggest smth to increase overall performance of STS?

Thank you!

Comment

Hey!

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback around the new Quick Search feature. Much appreciated. And glad to hear you like it!

With regards to performance, your general machine configuration (2GB RAM) sounds a bit weak, especially when STS gets up to 768m of heap space, I expect the overall memory usage on your machine is very high and a lot of memory is swapping to your hard drive. You can try to verify this by looking at the overall memory usage in your task manager on Windows (guessing you are using Windows here).

If that is the case, I would recommend to reduce the memory settings in Eclipse/STS to maybe 512m of max heap (the -Xmx setting) to reduce memory pressure. This doesn't work for larger workspaces in Eclipse/STS (it will run out of heap quickly). So to solve this problem, I would recommend to get a machine with more memory (4GB at least, better 8GB).

I would also recommend an SSD hard drive, that speed things up quite dramatically.

Aside of that we could try to find out what exactly is running slow within STS (using thread dumps and profiling data), but while running with 2GB of total memory, I don't expect much valuable data from it.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X