Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS & GGTS 3.3.0 released

Dear Spring Community,

we are happy to announce the next major release of our Eclipse-based tooling today: The Spring Tool Suite (STS) 3.3.0 and the Groovy/Grails Tool Suite (GGTS) 3.3.0.

Highlights from this release include:
    • Eclipse Kepler Release updates (including Mylyn, EGit, m2e, m2e-wtp)
    • updated bundled tc Server to 2.9.2 and bundled Spring Roo to 1.2.4
    • ready for Spring 4
    • support for JavaConfig-driven Spring projects (including navigation support for @Autowired)
    • new and unified "New Spring Project" wizard
    • additional performance improvements for working with Spring projects
    • brand new instant and lightning fast quick search for your workspace
    • GGTS now includes grails 2.2.3

We continue to ship distributions on top of the latest Eclipse release (Eclipse Kelper 4.3) as well as Eclipse Juno 3.8. While the 3.8-based version ships with all the components from Eclipse Juno, only the 4.3-based version ships on top of the just released Eclipse Kepler 4.3 version and is therefore the only distribution that comes with all the latest fixes and improvements from Eclipse Kepler.

To download the distributions, please go visit:
    Detailed new and noteworthy notes can be found here: STS/GGTS 3.3.0 New & Noteworthy

Updates from STS/GGTS 3.x are available through the automatic "Check for Updates". Users of STS 2.9.x (or older) should start with a fresh installation of STS/GGTS 3.3.0.

The next version 3.4.0 is scheduled to arrive in October 2013, shortly after the Eclipse Kepler SR1 (4.3.1) release. Also watch out for milestone builds of 3.4.0 if you want to stay up-to-date with the latest developments. And meet the team at this years SpringOne2GX conference.

Enjoy!!!
    The SpringSource tooling team

EGit and STS 3.3

Just wondering why EGit was not updated to 3.0 ?

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
    Dear Spring Community,

we are happy to announce the next major release of our Eclipse-based tooling today: The Spring Tool Suite (STS) 3.3.0 and the Groovy/Grails Tool Suite (GGTS) 3.3.0.

Highlights from this release include:
    • Eclipse Kepler Release updates (including Mylyn, EGit, m2e, m2e-wtp)
    • updated bundled tc Server to 2.9.2 and bundled Spring Roo to 1.2.4
    • ready for Spring 4
    • support for JavaConfig-driven Spring projects (including navigation support for @Autowired)
    • new and unified "New Spring Project" wizard
    • additional performance improvements for working with Spring projects
    • brand new instant and lightning fast quick search for your workspace
    • GGTS now includes grails 2.2.3

We continue to ship distributions on top of the latest Eclipse release (Eclipse Kelper 4.3) as well as Eclipse Juno 3.8. While the 3.8-based version ships with all the components from Eclipse Juno, only the 4.3-based version ships on top of the just released Eclipse Kepler 4.3 version and is therefore the only distribution that comes with all the latest fixes and improvements from Eclipse Kepler.

To download the distributions, please go visit:
    Detailed new and noteworthy notes can be found here: STS/GGTS 3.3.0 New & Noteworthy

Updates from STS/GGTS 3.x are available through the automatic "Check for Updates". Users of STS 2.9.x (or older) should start with a fresh installation of STS/GGTS 3.3.0.

The next version 3.4.0 is scheduled to arrive in October 2013, shortly after the Eclipse Kepler SR1 (4.3.1) release. Also watch out for milestone builds of 3.4.0 if you want to stay up-to-date with the latest developments. And meet the team at this years SpringOne2GX conference.

Enjoy!!!
    The SpringSource tooling team

Comment

Hey!

EGit 3.0 is included in the STS/GGTS 3.3.0 distributions, both for the Juno and the Kepler-based versions. Do you see something different in the distributions?

-Martin

Comment

I just upgraded to 3.3.0 and I see EGit plugins are still at 2.2.0. But maybe that is just for the EGit plugins. What is the correct way to determine the "core" EGit version in Eclipse?

Hey!

EGit 3.0 is included in the STS/GGTS 3.3.0 distributions, both for the Juno and the Kepler-based versions. Do you see something different in the distributions?

-Martin

Comment

Hey!

That could be, we don't ship updates of all the components of the distribution as copy from our update repository. Therefore upgrading an existing STS installation will pick up changes from the main Eclipse update site for the underlying distribution (Juno, for example) and our own STS components.

The reason is that the STS version for a certain Eclipse version ships with the components from that Eclipse train. So if you have an STS version based on Eclipse Juno, you will get updates for all those components from the Juno train. If Juno SR1 comes out and that contains a new version of EGit, you would get that, I think.

But if you have a Juno-based version of STS installed and update to a newer version of STS, you are still on Eclipse Juno. Therefore you will still get updates for those Eclipse components only if they are updated on the Eclipse Juno repository, which is only the case for SR1 and SR2 releases.

That is at least what I am guessing happens for you. The main Eclipse version is not updated automatically from Juno to Kepler.

But you can update the EGit version yourself by adding the EGit update repository to the "install new software" dialog, select the new 3.0 components and install them. The dialog will figure out that this is an update to those components instead of a new installation.

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

Okay, that makes sense. So what I really need to do is download the whole STS install, which is based on the latest Eclipse rather than just do an update within my existing version, which could be Juno, etc.

Hey!

That could be, we don't ship updates of all the components of the distribution as copy from our update repository. Therefore upgrading an existing STS installation will pick up changes from the main Eclipse update site for the underlying distribution (Juno, for example) and our own STS components.

The reason is that the STS version for a certain Eclipse version ships with the components from that Eclipse train. So if you have an STS version based on Eclipse Juno, you will get updates for all those components from the Juno train. If Juno SR1 comes out and that contains a new version of EGit, you would get that, I think.

But if you have a Juno-based version of STS installed and update to a newer version of STS, you are still on Eclipse Juno. Therefore you will still get updates for those Eclipse components only if they are updated on the Eclipse Juno repository, which is only the case for SR1 and SR2 releases.

That is at least what I am guessing happens for you. The main Eclipse version is not updated automatically from Juno to Kepler.

But you can update the EGit version yourself by adding the EGit update repository to the "install new software" dialog, select the new 3.0 components and install them. The dialog will figure out that this is an update to those components instead of a new installation.

HTH,
            Martin

Comment

Hey!

I would recommend that, yes. It is sometimes a good choice to start with a fresh installation.
              In case you have additional plugins installed and find that work of installing all of them again after a fresh installation, there is a script that might help you with that work. You can configure that script to install a bunch of plugins from various update sites at once and run it from the command line:

https://gist.github.com/martinlippert/5155155

I wrote this to work on a Mac, so you might need to adjust this a bit if you are on Windows.
              But this saves me a lot of time when starting again from a fresh install.

HTH,
              Martin

Comment

I was running gsts 3.0.0. I updated to the latest ... 3.3.0 and now anything related to grails is gone. My project lost the grails icon. I am not given the option to create a grails project and so on. I can see the grails components installed.
                Any ideas what do I have to do to get my grails support back in gsts ?

Comment

Hey!

It looks like something went wrong with the update and now maybe caused a dependency conflict under the hood. The easiest way to resolve this is to start with a fresh GGTS 3.3.0 installation from the distribution downloads.

In case you have many additional plugins installed, I would recommend to take a look at this script:
                  https://gist.github.com/martinlippert/5155155

If you adapt it to your needs, you could use it to automatically install a bunch of additional features into an existing installation (like a fresh STS or GGTS one) without going through the "install new software" UI in Eclipse/STS/GGTS.

If you would like to dive deeper into the dependency conflict, you can open a console view, switch it to the "Host OSGi console" and type "ss" (for short status) after the prompt. The result is a list of all installed OSGi bundles. Look for anything that is in the state "INSTALLED" (instead of ACTIVE, STARTING, RESOLVED, etc). If there is anything just "INSTALLED", then you can type in "diag" followed by the number of that bundle to get diagnosis information why that bundle could not resolve. But it might be very tricky to resolve this, therefore I would recommend the easy way, starting with a fresh installation.

HTH,
                  Martin

Comment

Thanks for the response Martin.
                    Yes that is what I did yesterday after I posted and could not find a way to recover and had to get going with my project.
                    You are correct that the main issue of fresh install is setting up the set of plugins so I will look into the script.

Thanks

Comment

Hi. Any help is appreciated. Been trying to download the latest zip archive (both kepler and june versions) from http://www.springsource.org/downloads/sts-ggts but the download always seems to hang and then get killed. Anyone else having similar issues?

Comment

Hey!

I updated the download page to contain the "download.springsource.com" versions of the URLs again. Please try again.
                        If you are still not able to download the distribution, please check firewall and virus scanner options, sometimes they can cause hiccups.

HTH,
                        Martin

Comment

Hello,

I have a problem with the "Run" shortcut Shift+Alt+X.

If I press the Shift+Alt+X I get the popup on the bottom right of my screen, and I can navigate with the arrows (up/down) and then press enter. This works.

But if I press the Shift+Alt+X and then press J for example (which normally launches JUnit) then this does no longer work.

I downloaded a fresh copy, so its not a side effect of an upgrade.

Is anyone experiencing this as well? I did the install on 2 different machines and both installations ended up with the problem.

Kind regards,

Luc

Comment

Hey Luc!

This is a known bug (and regression) in Eclipse Juno and Kepler:
                            https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=369860

It looks like it will be fixed for Eclipse 4.4.M1 and Eclipse 4.3.1 (therefore the fix will arrive in STS 3.4.0, scheduled for early October).

HTH,
                            Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin,

according to your posted link, I have to perform my shortcut quicker so the popup in between does not show.
                              I'll use that as a workaround, since that works.

I had the nasty habit to wait for the popup to make sure the first shortcut was captured before pressing the second key.

Thanks,

Luc

Comment

Working...
                              X