Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
STS 3.3.0 RELEASE : can't navigate through classes/methods using CTRL+click Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 3.3.0 RELEASE : can't navigate through classes/methods using CTRL+click

Just upgraded to 3.3.0 RELEASE and I can't navigate between classes and methods in JDT anymore
    Well I can jump to a class but only if it's a declaration like:
    Code:
    MimeMessage msg = new MimeMessage(session);
    So if I do CTRL + click on the "new MimeMessage" part it won't appear as a link and won't go to the class. Same with all the methods.

I upgraded from 3.3.0 m2 and the workspace was just fine this morning.
    I tried to reset the perspective.

But nothing cured the problem. And it's a massive one in my book.
    I will try to download a clean package and see what's happening...

+1. Got the same problem after installing from eclipse market.

Comment

Hey!

This is a bad regression in the 3.3.0 release. Thanks for reporting this. We will fix this immediately and push out a 3.3.1 release very soon.

In the meantime you can go to:
      Preferences -> General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Hyperlinking and deactivate the "Autowire Hyperlink Detector". This should bring back the usual Java hyperlink navigation.

Sorry for this regression and hope this helps!
      -Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin the workaround works.
        Hope the fix is not too hairy!

Comment

Hey!

The fix is not a big deal, but re-spinning the distribution builds takes time... I also decided to re-spin the 3.3.0 release build in order to get a clean and fixed build out there instead of pushing for 3.3.1.

So stay tuned for the 3.3.0 release announcement... :-)

Cheers and thanks for reporting!
          -Martin

Comment

cheers, martin.
            Btw, although version number remains the same, the timestamp tail will be different so simple eclipse update will still take it as newer release instead of having to do un-install/re-install, right?

Comment

Hey!

Yes, that is correct. Meanwhile I uploaded the new release build and users you grabbed the 3.3.0 release very early are able to update that. No need to uninstall or reinstall. However, if you wanna start with a fresh installation, the new release build is now available from the download pages and will be announced shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
              -Martin

Comment

I received an updated this morning and installed it (now the build is Version: 3.3.0.RELEASE Build Id: 201307091644), but I still have this problem.
                The workaround Martin mentioned works, but what are its implications?

Comment

Hey!

That is strange. I am using the new update as well and I don't see the problem anymore. Can you open the Error Log view and post the exception with its stack trace here? That would be great.

Thanks,
                  Martin

Comment

Hey!

In addition to that: could you check the version of the plugin "org.springframework.ide.eclipse.quickfix" in your installation? Just to make sure that the update did the right thing...

Thanks!
                    -Martin

Comment

Hey!

Forget about my questions, I can reproduce that with the latest release build. The problem seems to happen for method arguments only (not for the types, just for the argument name). I filed a bug for that:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-3462

I am sorry that we didn't fix it completely. I will put this on the list for the next release.

HTH,
                      Martin

Comment

Thanks for your response.
                        It happens for methods and variables for me, not only the arguments.
                        The quickfix plugin is 3.3.0.2013070915-16-RELEASE, so it looks good.
                        The stack trace looks slightly different (line numbers) than the one you posted on the bug report:

Code:
                        java.lang.NullPointerException    at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.quickfix.hyperlinks.AutowireHyperlinkDetector.addHyperlinksHelper(AutowireHyperlinkDetector.java:151)
                            at org.springframework.ide.eclipse.quickfix.hyperlinks.AutowireHyperlinkDetector.addHyperlinks(AutowireHyperlinkDetector.java:88)
                            at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.JavaElementHyperlinkDetector.detectHyperlinks(JavaElementHyperlinkDetector.java:114)
                            at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.HyperlinkDetectorRegistry$HyperlinkDetectorDelegate.detectHyperlinks(HyperlinkDetectorRegistry.java:80)
                            at org.eclipse.jface.text.hyperlink.HyperlinkManager.findHyperlinks(HyperlinkManager.java:289)
                            at org.eclipse.jface.text.hyperlink.HyperlinkManager.findHyperlinks(HyperlinkManager.java:261)
                            at org.eclipse.jface.text.hyperlink.HyperlinkManager.mouseMove(HyperlinkManager.java:469)
                            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:212)
                            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
                            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1057)
                            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4170)
                            at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3759)
                            at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1113)
                            at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
                            at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:997)
                            at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:138)
                            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:610)
                            at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
                            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:567)
                            at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
                            at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
                            at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
                            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
                            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
                            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
                            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
                            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
                            at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
                            at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
                            at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
                            at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1426)

Comment

Hey Ale,

yes, the version of the quickfix plugin looks good, so at least the update worked... ;-)
                          I haven't seen this for methods yet, but that doesn't mean its not there... I added your stack trace to the bug report.

Thanks for the additional details. I hate those kinds of regressions and we try hard to avoid those things, but it looks like it happened for this release. However, since there is a good and easy workaround available, I hope its fine to fix this for 3.4.0.M1 entirely.

Thanks again,
                          Martin

Comment

Hum, strange.
                            Just updated and looks like it's working fine for me. I can navigate classes, methods, arguments with the "Autowire Hyperlink Detector" option checked...

Comment

Hey!

If it is a Spring project, the hyperlink navigation should work just fine. Looks like it is causing trouble when you are working in a standard Java project. Maybe that is the reason why it works "sometimes" for you...?

Anyway, I hope this doesn't cause too much of a hassle for you. Glad that we have an easy workaround for this... :-)

Cheers,
                              -Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X