Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
New -> Spring Template is missing in Eclipse Juno + STS 3.2.0 + m2e Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New -> Spring Template is missing in Eclipse Juno + STS 3.2.0 + m2e

My apologies if this question has come up before. I did check the FAQ and did not find the error I am encountering referenced there.

The error in eclipse Juno is "Unable to find Action Set: com.springsource.sts.roo.ui.actionSet". There is no exception stack trace.
    What I observe in eclipse is as follows:
    Step 1: unzip Juno (eclipse-jee-juno-SR1-win32(1).zip). Launch eclipse.exe
    Step 2: Click on Help->"Install New Software" and load STS (springsource-tool-suite-3.2.0.RELEASE-JUNO-e4.2.2-updatesite.zip) from local archive. Install STS. Eclipse Restarts.
    Step 3: Check New-> Spring Template Project. Option is available. Templates are available Try a Sprint MVC Template. It states that m2e is required. That the Template can be downloaded, but that build errors will occur.
    Step 4: Go to Eclipse Marketplace. Search for m2eclipse (http://download.eclipse.org/technology/m2e/releases). Install it. Restart eclipse. I have previously downloaded and installed apache maven 3.0.5. Eclipse Juno has been setup to point to 3.0.5.
    Step 5: Check New-> Spring Template Project. Option is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Error Logs show the error, "Unable to find Action Set: com.springsource.sts.roo.ui.actionSet".
    This error is reported as "Spring Tool Suite/STS-3329" and is marked as resolved. But, I don't think I understand the resolution/workaround provided.

Questions:
    1) Is the error indicated above related to the cause of the missing menu item (Spring Template Project)?
    2) If so, please indicate what I can do in my eclipse Juno installation to fix this.

Thanks
    ZM

Re: I have confirmed that by uninstalling m2eclipse from JUNO, the menu item appears

I have confirmed that by uninstalling m2eclipse from JUNO, the menu item, New-> "Spring Template Project" does reappear. The error I indicated in the original post - "Unable to find Action Set: com.springsource.sts.roo.ui.actionSet" is also gone.
    Looks like m2eclipse does NOT play well with STS (for Juno) and JUNO.

Comment

Hey!

This sounds indeed like a compatibility issue. I will try to reproduce this to analyze this in more depth.

Aside of that I would recommend to download a full STS distribution from http://www.springsource.org/sts. It is a ready-to-use Eclipse installation with all the necessary components pre-installed - and therefore much easier to handle.

HTH,
      Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
        Thanks for your prompt response.

When you talk about "all the necessary components pre-installed" - are you referring to the eclipse side of things (eclipse juno + sts + a working m2e at least) or are you saying that the download ALSO includes ALL the necessary spring core, etc. jars? I suspect you mean the former, but please do confirm.

I can certainly give that a try when I get a chance.
        Thanks again.
        ZM

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
        Hey!

This sounds indeed like a compatibility issue. I will try to reproduce this to analyze this in more depth.

Aside of that I would recommend to download a full STS distribution from http://www.springsource.org/sts. It is a ready-to-use Eclipse installation with all the necessary components pre-installed - and therefore much easier to handle.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Hey!

I mean the Eclipse IDE components. The STS distribution comes with the Eclipse JEE distribution + STS components + EGit + m2e + m2e-wtp + Atlassian Jira connector + AJDT... The Spring libraries are used internally and therefore also ship with the distribution, but that is not meant to be used as libs for your projects. Since projects usually define their lib dependencies through some dependency management system like Maven, Ivy, Gradle or whatever, those dependency management systems take care of downloading the right artifacts for your project.

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

Hey!

I also analyzed the problem with the install sequence that you mentioned and can reproduce the issue. Under the hood a dependency problem appears between a Spring and a m2e bundle that causes the Spring IDE maven support to be disabled. Therefore you don't see any New Spring Template project wizards anymore. Looks like something changed in the new m2e version that is causing this.

The good news is: We worked around that problem in the upcoming STS 3.3.0 release (to be released next week).

But I would always recommend to use the STS distribution package. It contains most of the extensions to Eclipse that you need already. And the STS 3.2.0 distribution comes with an older m2e version that doesn't seem to cause that problem.

HTH,
            Martin

Comment

Great news. Thanks for that quick turnaround.

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
              Hey!

I also analyzed the problem with the install sequence that you mentioned and can reproduce the issue. Under the hood a dependency problem appears between a Spring and a m2e bundle that causes the Spring IDE maven support to be disabled. Therefore you don't see any New Spring Template project wizards anymore. Looks like something changed in the new m2e version that is causing this.

The good news is: We worked around that problem in the upcoming STS 3.3.0 release (to be released next week).

But I would always recommend to use the STS distribution package. It contains most of the extensions to Eclipse that you need already. And the STS 3.2.0 distribution comes with an older m2e version that doesn't seem to cause that problem.

HTH,
              Martin

Comment

Working...
              X