Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 3.2 - Kepler - Missing Wizard Options

hey guys,

i just installed a fresh Kepler and some Plugins i used before. After all in want to try out Spring and added the STS over marcetplace (sts 3.2)
    After all it seems to me , that some wizard options are missing (see images below).

STS Standalone:
    http://www0.xup.in/exec/ximg.php?fid=72610651
    http://www0.xup.in/exec/ximg.php?fid=74996468

and in Eclipse:
    http://www0.xup.in/exec/ximg.php?fid=56345845
    http://www0.xup.in/exec/ximg.php?fid=13884695

So any ideas how to fix it?

BTW: Im not so very into Eclipse :-/ , thanks a lot.
    And of course it may would go if i try to install everything again,.. but maybe there is a solution without re installing eclipse.... its anoying to reinstall any plugin and so on...

The difference is that when you install STS through the marketplace there are some optional extensions that are not included. The Sping Roo and Spring Web Flow extensions are not installed by default. If you want to install them as well, you need to explicitly add them, which you can through this update site: http://dist.springsource.com/release....RELEASE/e4.3/

Go to Help -> Install new software and add the URL above to the "Work with" box (it may already be there). Then go to the "Extensions / Spring IDE" section. Install all the other pieces that you want.

Comment

Hey!

In addition to that you might run into a dependency issue. In case you have installed the latest m2e release (1.4.0), it is pretty likely that you are facing an issue with their usage of some javax packages. This is causing a package use conflict and therefore disables a few of our bundles.

If you want to verify this, you could open a console view, switch to the OSGi Host Console, and type "ss" for "short status" in the console. As a result you will see the list of all installed bundles. If there is any bundle in the status "INSTALLED" instead of RESOLVED, STARTING or ACTIVE, there is a dependency issue going on under the hood. In that case you could run "diag <number-of-that-bundle>" to see that exactly the problem is. If you like, please feel free to try that and post the result of the diag command here, so that we can analyze that here.

Especially in case of those dependency issues, we recommend to start with a fresh STS distribution and go from there. If you are looking for a full Kepler based STS release, that is going to be published next week... :-)

HTH,
      Martin

Comment

I too was very disappointed to see the missing Roo and WebForms options and wizards in Kepler, after installing STS. I have m2e 1,4 installed (actually it comes bundled with the Eclipse JEE Package by default). Here are the results for the INSTALL status from the Spring OSGI bundles:
        osgi> diag 908
        reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.config.ui_3.2.0.20 1303060654-RELEASE.jar [908]
        Direct constraints which are unresolved:
        Missing required bundle org.springframework.ide.eclipse.wizard_0.0.0.
        Leaf constraints in the dependency chain which are unresolved:
        reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.maven_3.2.0.201303 060654-RELEASE.jar [913]
        Missing optionally required bundle org.datanucleus.ide.eclipse_0.0.0.
        osgi> diag 913
        reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.maven_3.2.0.201303 060654-RELEASE.jar [913]
        osgi> diag 922
        reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.roo.ui_3.2.0.20130 3060654-RELEASE.jar [922]
        Missing required bundle org.springframework.ide.eclipse.maven_0.0.0.
        Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse_0.12.1.
        Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt_0.12.1.
        Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.maven_embedder_0.12.1.
        Missing optionally imported package org.springframework.ide.eclipse.maven_0.0.0.
        Leaf constraints in the dependency chain which are unresolved:

Looks like this is an issue with org.datanucleus.ide.eclipse. Perhaps related to this resolved bug in the Dali tools (which I also have installed) https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=379473. Looks like m2e itself is OK.

It would seem like it should either resolve these bundles at install time, or give you some sort of warning, instead of simply failing silently.

Comment

I found http://www.datanucleus.org/products/...s/eclipse.html and installed datanucleus (from 2004, which installs JDO - I'm surprised STS requires something so old). That enabled WebFlow, but not Roo. The new diag results:
          osgi> diag 908
          reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.config.ui_3.2.0.20 1303060654-RELEASE.jar [908]
          Missing required bundle org.springframework.ide.eclipse.wizard_0.0.0.
          osgi> diag 913
          Package uses conflict: Require-Bundle: org.springframework.beans; bundle-version="[3.0.5.RELEASE,3.2.0)"
          osgi> diag 922
          reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.roo.ui_3.2.0.20130 3060654-RELEASE.jar [922]
          Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse_0.12.1.
          Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.jdt_0.12.1.
          Missing optionally required bundle org.maven.ide.eclipse.maven_embedder_0.12.1.
          Missing optionally imported package org.springframework.ide.eclipse.maven_0.0.0.
          osgi> diag 931
          reference:file: plugins/org.springframework.ide.eclipse.wizard_3.2.0.20130 3060654-RELEASE.jar [931]

So now there is a package conflict in org.springframework.beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
            The difference is that when you install STS through the marketplace there are some optional extensions that are not included. The Sping Roo and Spring Web Flow extensions are not installed by default. If you want to install them as well, you need to explicitly add them, which you can through this update site: http://dist.springsource.com/release....RELEASE/e4.3/

Go to Help -> Install new software and add the URL above to the "Work with" box (it may already be there). Then go to the "Extensions / Spring IDE" section. Install all the other pieces that you want.

I had this exact problem. I just installed STS through the marketplace in Kepler and have never had an installation of Spring or STS before. I added everything in the e4.3 link as described (see pic below).

Attachment

The only additions I see in the SpringSource Dashboard that are new are "Groovy Project" and "Grails Project". No new Spring projects were added, and I still do not see "Spring Template Project" (or anything other than what the original poster showed). Adding a "Spring Project" doesn't add any Spring libraries--it's just a Java project.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

The problem is this piece:

osgi> diag 913
              Package uses conflict: Require-Bundle: org.springframework.beans; bundle-version="[3.0.5.RELEASE,3.2.0)"
              This problem is being introduced by the new version of m2e (1.4.0) that is part of the Kepler release. It causes a package use conflict over the javax.inject package, which is being exported by the maven runtime bundle and can be imported from different resources now.

The solutions to this are:

- download the full STS 3.3.0.M2 for Eclipse Kepler distribution. That includes the full Kepler JEE distributon as well as m2e and the Spring IDE.

- wait for the 3.3.0 release being published this Tuesday. After that the installation would work again due to a workaround that we added.

HTH,
              Martin

P.S.: I agree that the install software dialog should mention this problem directly before the installation. Unfortunately those package use conflicts are not recognized by the Eclipse install new software tooling... :-(

Comment

P.P.S.: I changed the update site for the Marketplace entry to install "something new" that includes the workaround...

Comment

I installed the 3.3.0 STS updates today and everything looks like it works fine, the missing items are back again. Thanks for the information about the Tuesday release.

Comment

Hey!

Glad to hear its all working again and thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
                    -Martin

Comment

is this feature broken again? i have STS 3.4.0 running under eclipse kepler and there is no New Spring Template Project.
                      i am trying to use the Spring MVC wizard, but it appears it's not installed and a url is provided to download a zip file (http://dist.springsource.com/release....mvc-3.2.2.zip) .
                      the download works but i have no idea what to do with the file to get the wizard working in eclipse.
                      my wizard looks like the one in this article: http://eclipse.dzone.com/news/spring...spring-eclipse
                      Last edited by snailgem; Mar 6th, 2014, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Hey!

STS 3.4.0 doesn't have a "New Spring Template Project" wizard anymore, it got integrated into the "New Spring Project" wizard. But I guess you found that already and opened that. And it sounds a bit like you can see the "Spring Web MVC" project template in the list of possible templates and selected it. What happens if you type in a name for the project and press "next"? You don't need to download anything yourself, STS should take care of that. Or does the "next" button not work?

-Martin

Comment

hey martin - yes that worked fine and created a nice starter project (pity it doesn't work with embedded jetty out of the box, but i pointed it to my tomcat and works fine there).
                          many thanks for the quick reply and the support you provide on this forum.

Comment

Hey!

Glad to hear you got it working. Always happy to help!
                            Thanks for the nice feedback!

Cheers,
                            -Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X