Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server Wizard

Good afternoon,

In the process of Defining a New Server, the Server name is not populating for me to be able to click 'Next'. Previous to this, I selected Tomcat v7.0 Server, while desiring to get the most recent Tomcat server. This may have inadvertently been deleted rather than deselected in the process of learning what an error related to a conf ~ catalina error to Tomcat being accepted.

What is a remedy that makes sense - for being able to then get apache-tomcat-7.0.xx (most recent) to be recognized? (I am installing this on Linux.)

Note: When I click on Tomcat v6.0 Server, the Server name field populates with 'Tomcat v6.0 Server at localhost'.

David
    Last edited by David D; Apr 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM.

Hey!

So you would like to connect your Tomcat 7 to STS/Eclipse and when selecting the Tomcat 7 adapter in the Apache section of that "new servers" wizard, you don't get a name for the server automatically filled in? Is that correct? If so, what happens if you type something in? Can you press next then?

On the next page, you should be able to define the Tomcat runtime (the directory where you installed Apache Tomcat 7 itself).

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Martin Hi.

I attempted to type entry yesterday, but does not work. It seems it has nothing close to it to find, not even default. I would like to understand how I can re-establish what I originally had. Although I will still need to overcome the error message that I encountered which may have led to me inadvertently deleting a pointing mechanism to what was Tomcat 7.

I found a few closely related posts in stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...pe-in-tomcat-7

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...ected-typ?lq=1

David

Comment

Hey David!

In case the mentioned stackoverflow answers didn't help, I would suggest to start with a fresh STS distribution (which you can get from here: http://www.springsource.org/sts), with a fresh workspace (a completely new directory) and a fresh installation of Apache Tomcat. Can you try that?

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

starting over

Martin,

I am starting from scratch on this. I have the Spring STS downloaded. What is a recommended environment set-up for doing all this within Linux?

For example, I tried to run the STS executable from the following location /home/david/tools/springsource/sts-3.2.0.RELEASE however, it would not open. It did not do anything. I have java in the following directory /usr/local/java

Does Spring need to be in the /usr/local/ directory as well? If you know the best place to unpack and store all this stuff, it would be of great help.

David

Comment

Hi David,

I'm on Linux myself.

> /home/david/tools/springsource/sts-3.2.0.RELEASE however, it would not open.

Is there an error message?

Typically if the executable doesn't open it is because of some trouble starting the JVM. I don't know exactly what your trouble might be so I can only give some general advice.

1) Make sure that you download the right distribution for your platform. I.e. there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Choose the one depending on your OS and JVM.

2) I recommend you use Sun JDK not Open JDK. I wouldn't expect failure to startup with open JDK but you'll probably have less issues down the road.

3) STS requires a JDK, a JRE is not sufficient.

4) I don't think it matters terribly what location your JVM is installed in, as long as the installer finds it, or your point it to it. But I'll tell you about my setup which works for me.

kdvolder@bun2:~$ java -version
            java version "1.6.0_26"
            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
            Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

My STS.ini file has this in the first few lines:
            -vm
            /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/bin/java

Double check that this points to an actual JVM installation.

Comment

Kris,

You identified the issue in #1. I have two machines that I use, and I thought I had the correct version. I needed the 32 bit version. I thought the other one was correct.

Thank you for the reply, Kris. I really appreciate it.

David

Comment

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

Kris

Comment

Working...
                X