Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
STS 3.1 : Mac OS X - Simple Plugin-Project not working, just hangs... Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 3.1 : Mac OS X - Simple Plugin-Project not working, just hangs...

Hi,

I recently updated STS 3.0 to 3.1, the update was successful, but when I tried to create a simple HelloWorld Plugin-Project and try to execute (Run As -> Eclipse Application), it just hangs - never gets to complete. I have to restart Mac.

STS install details:
    Version: 3.1.0.RELEASE
    Build Id: 201210061306

Mac OS X 10.8.2 version
    Attached the Thread dump using jps / jstack.

If I need to un-install STS 3.1 from Mac, please let me know what are the folders to be deleted for a clean install ?

Thanks,
    Mohan

Hey!

Do you have a sample project that reproduces this problem? I would like to take a more detailed look at what is going wrong here. The thread dump doesn't reveal a deadlock or something like that, but also looks a bit suspicious.

If you want to uninstall STS, you can just delete the STS installation directory, that should do it. I would also recommend to try a freshly released STS 3.2.0 release distribution (based on Eclipse 3.8) to try.

Cheers,
    Martin

Comment

Sample plugin project attached

Hi Martin,

Attached the sample project (it's a simple hello world plugin project), the error happens every time I try to execute it.

I will try to uninstall STS 3.1 and install STS 3.2 (based on eclipse 3.8) and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
      Mohan

Comment

Hey Mohan!

I imported your project into an empty workspace using STS 3.2.0 on Eclipse 3.8, triggered a clean build of the project (just to be sure everything got imported correctly), and launched an Eclipse instance via the "Launch an Eclipse application" shortcut on the editor of the MANIFEST.MF file (this is the easiest way that I know to run an instance of Eclipse together with your plugin).

Everything seems to work correctly. I can see your sample menu, can click on the entry, and get the "Hello World" message.

Aside of that your project is a plain Eclipse PDE project, so nothing specific to STS. In case your problem persists, I would recommend to download a plain Eclipse installation and try that, just to figure out whether its a problem within the PDE tooling of Eclipse or a problem that happens only in the STS context. That would be very helpful to find out.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

STS 3.2 based on eclipse 3.8 - OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Hi Martin,

Based on your suggestion, I tried the following;

Install freshly released STS 3.2 based on eclipse 3.8, and tried the same hello world plugin project.

Trial 1: (STS.ini - default memory settings)
          Run the project, using "Launch an Eclipse application" shortcut in MANIFEST.MF file. This time the new instance of STS pops-up and I can see the "sample menu", but it throws an - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space.

Trial 2: (STS.ini - updated memory settings)
          Run the project same way as Trial 1, but got the same lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space.

Attached the STS.ini.txt and the console error log (STS-3.2_PermGenError.txt.zip) for Trail 2

Also, I tried to execute the same project in plain eclipse installation, it works fine with no errors.
          So for me, the issue happens only in STS Context.

I am planning for demo session for plugin development using STS, and would like this error resolved and actually start working on STS Workspace configuration plugin development.

Please let me know what you think could be wrong with my setup that is causing the error.

Thanks,
          Mohan

Comment

Hey!

I am not sure which STS.ini settings you changed, maybe the one that you use to run STS itself with?

Can you take a look at the launch configuration that gets created when you hit the "Launch an Eclipse application" and set the VM options there, especially those for general memory settings and those for the PermGen size. I think that should do it.

HTH,
            Martin

Comment

Martin,

Setting the VM options at launch configurations of "Launch an Eclipse application" resolved the memory issue.
              Thanks for your analysis and all your help.

Now, moving onto the actual work of automating the STS workspace / tcsever configuration.

Thanks,
              Mohan

Comment

Hey Mohan!

Glad to hear its working now and thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
                -Martin

Comment

Working...
                X