Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refocusing on STS after completion of tcServer start/restart

Hello,

I have a bunch of Java projects in my STS (version 2.9.1.RELEASE) workspace. My machine is kinda slow. Hence, when I start the tcServer or when it restarts upon me saving changes to .java files, it takes some time to come up.

At this point, if I switch to some other program, STS does not show any indication when tcServer completes the start up process and becomes ready.

Is there any way to refocus on STS as soon as tcServer becomes ready?

Regards!

Hey!

The only indicator that I am aware of is looking at the console output to see when the startup phase is done and nothing happens anymore. This is what I usually do and there is no special "feature" to refocus on STS when tc Server is done. Maybe something like a notification message would also be less obtrusive, but there are no plans to implement such a feature at the moment. However, I can see the value. You can add that feature request in our JIRA as an enhancement ticket:

https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS

An additional side note: In case you are using the default instance of tc Server that came with STS 2.9.1, I would guess it is a Spring Insight enabled instance. This Spring Insight feature is not for free, so if you don't need or use it, I would recommend to create another instance of tc Server without Spring Insight (for example just choosing the "base" template). That starts up a lot faster. Just an idea to improve turn-around times. When working with such a simple and fast tc Server instance, maybe you don't have time anymore to switch to another application... :-)

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Sorry for the late reply Martin.

How can I create the enhancement ticket? I looked at the JIRA page but must be missing something obvious.

BTW, I have disabled the Spring Insight on that tc Server. It's just my machine

Comment

Hey!

You need to login (and create an account if you haven't done before) in order to create issues. Once you are logged in, there is a "create issue" link showing up.

I am not sure whether disabling Spring Insight on the default tc Server instance already speeds up the startup time. I would at least try to create a new tc Server instance ("New Server..." from the context menu in the Servers view, then select tc Server, walk through the wizard, and select "create new instance" instead of "use existing instance", then you can select just "base" as a template for that instance, for example).

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin.

I've created the issue.

Regards!

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for creating the issue. For the reference, it is here:
            https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-3272

Thanks!
            -Martin