Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUT of memory in STS 2.9.2 and 3.0.1

Hi All,
    i am consistently getting the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space consistently for my applications.
    But at the same time , my other team members are not facing any such issues. i tries taking their STS.ini file as well but that is of no help.
    my current STS.ini looks like
    -startup
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
    --launcher.library
    plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1. 1.200.v20120522-1813
    -product
    org.springsource.sts.ide
    --launcher.defaultAction
    openFile
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256M
    -vmargs
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
    -Xms128m
    -Xmx768m
    -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
    -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods

an early help will be much appriciated
    Thanks,
    Ini

Hey!

I am not sure whether I understood you correctly: you are getting "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" errors for your running STS or for own applications that you start from within STS?

In the first case, did you try to change the -XX:MaxPermSize setting in your STS.ini?

Cheers,
    -Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hey!

I am not sure whether I understood you correctly: you are getting "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space" errors for your running STS or for own applications that you start from within STS?

In the first case, did you try to change the -XX:MaxPermSize setting in your STS.ini?

Cheers,
      -Martin
      Thanks Martin,
      yes i tried changing -XX:MaxPermSize setting in STS.ini? but of no help. And yes the problem is when i am running my application in STS i get out of memory for application, STS works fine

Comment

Hey!

Okay, that explains why changing the STS.ini file doesn't help. The apps that you are starting from within STS are being launched into a separate JVM - what gets its own configuration. Depending on how you launch your app, you should configure the PermGen space size in the VM arguments section of your launch configuration.

If you are running your apps in the tc Server default instance, you should go to your launch configs and create a duplicate of the existing tc Server launch config. Then change the settings in that duplicated launch config and run your server from there.

Otherwise you don't need to duplicate your launch configuration, just change it and run your app again.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
          Hey!

Okay, that explains why changing the STS.ini file doesn't help. The apps that you are starting from within STS are being launched into a separate JVM - what gets its own configuration. Depending on how you launch your app, you should configure the PermGen space size in the VM arguments section of your launch configuration.

If you are running your apps in the tc Server default instance, you should go to your launch configs and create a duplicate of the existing tc Server launch config. Then change the settings in that duplicated launch config and run your server from there.

Otherwise you don't need to duplicate your launch configuration, just change it and run your app again.

HTH,
          Martin

Thanks a lot Martin, configuring the PermGen space size in the VM arguments section worked for me .
          Thanks a lot once again

Comment

Glad to hear I could help!
            And thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
            -Martin

Comment

Working...
            X