X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans XML Editor in 1.2.5

I can't get the code completion for classes to work in Eclipse with the BeansXMLEditor. Eclipse says: "Content Assist not available at the current location".

The ouline view is also very different. I get the normal XML outline view. I read about a "Context menu item for switching outline view's visualization...", but where is it? Context menu on what?

Seems as there are no Spring specific functionallity when I'm using the XML editor. What could be wrong?

I run: Eclipse 3.1.1, WTP 1.0 (with prerequisites) and SpringIDE 1.2.5.

Declare the config file

Hello,

Did you think about declaring your Spring config file as such?

You can do this by going into the project properties > Spring Beans and add it in the config files tab.

If you don't do this, your file won't be associated with the editor and the validation of the config file will never be done.

Cheers.

Pierre-Antoine.

Comment

Originally posted by dipp0
      The ouline view is also very different. I get the normal XML outline view. I read about a "Context menu item for switching outline view's visualization...", but where is it? Context menu on what?
      It's the context menu of the XML editor's outline view (the button with the small triangle). In Spring IDE's extended version of the XML editor you can find a new menu item named "Spring-Style Outline" here.

Originally posted by dipp0
      Seems as there are no Spring specific functionallity when I'm using the XML editor. What could be wrong?
      As Pierre-Antoine wrote, maybe you didn't add your config files to a Spring project. Please follow the instructions given in the Spring IDE Guide on how to create a Spring project and add your config files. Make sure that your Spring beans config files are listed in the Spring Beans View.

Torsten

Comment

Originally posted by Torsten Juergeleit
        It's the context menu of the XML editor's outline view (the button with the small triangle). In Spring IDE's extended version of the XML editor you can find a new menu item named "Spring-Style Outline" here.
        Yes that helped. The outline view looks much better. Thanks.

Originally posted by Torsten Juergeleit
        As Pierre-Antoine wrote, maybe you didn't add your config files to a Spring project. Please follow the instructions given in the Spring IDE Guide on how to create a Spring project and add your config files. Make sure that your Spring beans config files are listed in the Spring Beans View.
        They are added, but code completion on classes doesn't play. Some code completion works though, like on ref and parent, but not class. Any ideas?

Comment

Here are my 2 Cents ;-)

To use the Beans Xml Editor's content assist it is not required to add the Beans definition Xml file to Spring IDE's Configs or ConfigSets. The editor is just working and enabled on the content type (file extension + <beans> root element).

If you do not define the Config to be part of a ConfigSet the content assist features are only proposing artifacts from the current Config (e.g. no references to external defined Beans)

Due to performance reasons the class content assist requires at least one letter to be written. Have you tried that?

Cheers

Christian

Comment

Sure, I've tried starting with letters. Still no completion on classes.

Altough, the editor warns if the class (entered manually) doesn't exist, hovering the class name gives me a description of the class, and ctrl-clicking the class takes me to it. So most things seems to be working, but no class code completion.

Comment

Same for me.
              Any solution found?

Comment

Hi guys,

is there any chance that you are able to reduce your code to a test scenario that you can attach to this thread or to a ticket over at http://springide.org.

That would be great!

Cheers
                Christian

Comment

I think i know where the root of the problem is. If i open the xml file, XMLBuddy is opened. That's the wrong editor, i think.

But if i chosse "open with" and "XML editor" then i get an "unsupported content type in editor" message in ecilpse.
                  Any idea why?

Cheers

Ingo

Comment

Was an answer to this ever determined? I'm getting the same thing now.

Comment

WTP XML editor vs. XML Buddy

This appears to be a conflict between the Web Tools Project's XML editor and XML Buddy. I was getting the same error when trying to edit a Spring config file. After removing com.objfac.xmleditor_2.0.22 from my Eclipse plugins directory and restarting Eclipse, I no longer get this error.

Comment

Working...
                      X