X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS & GGTS in the Cloud?

Cloud IDEs abound; many of which use CloudFoundry and GitHub. Can we expect to see STS and GGTS become cloud ide's like Codenvy, Cluou9, etc.?

Originally posted by billfly View Post
    Cloud IDEs abound; many of which use CloudFoundry and GitHub. Can we expect to see STS and GGTS become cloud ide's like Codenvy, Cluou9, etc.?
    Good question.

I don't think you would just see STS/GGTS becoming cloud ides in their current form - just moving them to the server and offering a view layer wouldn't really give an optimal development experience. But we are actively exploring the web/cloud IDE space. If you consider STS to be a base eclipse with our plugins and Eclipse Orion to be the web version of eclipse (i.e. an extensible tools platform, although still rather lacking on features right now) then maybe Orion plus reworked versions of our plugins could be the future. Orion has the OSGi backend where we could host some already existing eclipse components like the Eclipse Compiler for Java.

Currently we have the 'Scripted' editor project where we are investigating web based development - learning how features like fast content assist and navigation have to be implemented in a client/server based environment.

I'm not declaring any new products here or suggesting any end to sts/ggts development - we still have so much to do, I'm just saying that we are spending a bit of time thinking about "what's next".

cheers,
    Andy

Comment

Working...
    X