Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS error in first use

Hi,

I'm beginner in Spirng. I have problem with environment. I've instaled STS v. 3.2.0.M2 on machine with Windows 7 64-bit. Next I've created "New Spring Template Projekt" and I see errors: Attachment . In pom.xml are a lot of errors: Attachment . Error Log: Attachment . what is going on? What about HOME variable? What path should HOME point ?

Sorry about mistakes.
    Attached Files

Hey!

Are you using the STS 3.2.0.M2 for Win 64bit distribution downloads and starting from there or did you install the latest milestone version into an existing Eclipse?

It looks like the Maven dependencies couldn't be downloaded correctly (there is also no Maven Dependencies item in your project showing up). Most of the template projects are Maven-based projects, so that the development environment integration takes care of downloading the necessary dependencies for you. But that doesn't seem to work in your case.

Are you behind a proxy? In that case, you would need to configure that proxy in your Maven settings:
    http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html

And can you try to do an "update projects" from the Maven context menu on the project?
    The third think that sometimes causes those Maven projects to fail is a corrupt local Maven repo. The best way to solve that is to delete the ~/.m2/repository directory and let Maven download artifacts again (when doing an "update project").

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Thanks for response. Yes, I'm instaled the lastest version (for Win 64bit distribution). I'm not behind a proxy. I tried "update projects" a lot of times, it doesn't work. I also deleted "~/.m2/repository" directory, but this problem still exsists. When I updated project, I got something like this: Attachment .
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

The error looks like a problem with the local Maven repo, therefore I thought deleting that might help. But you said the problem still exists even if you delete the local Maven repo and then do a "project update", correct? Does it show the same error message in that case? Do you maybe have a virus scanner in place that could maybe conflict with Maven downloading dependencies?

You could also try to run Maven from the command line on that project, just to see if that works...

-Martin

Comment

Same problem.
          I downloaded "spring-tool-suite-3.1.0.RELEASE-e3.8-win32.zip" ,then I extracted it. I created a simple MVC project and got errors. It seems Maven cannot download something from the internet (I'm not behind a proxy).
          In my ~/.m2/repository , I got some files like that:
          NOTE: This is an internal implementation file, its format can be changed without prior notice.
          #Mon Feb 18 22:19:08 ICT 2013
          default-http\://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/.lastUpdated=1361200748514
          http\://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/.error=Could not transfer artifact org.apache.maven.plugins\:maven-antrun-plugin\om\:1.3 from/to central (http\://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)\: connection timed out to http\://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/1.3/maven-antrun-plugin-1.3.pom
          I tried to delete my repository and updated the projected again, but it didn't work.

Comment

Hey!

Do you have a settings.xml file in your .m2 directory? Maybe there is a misconfigured proxy setting in there?
            Did you try to run Maven from the command line (just to see if the network problems are a general problem or just when used from inside Eclipse/STS)?

-Martin

Comment

I have a settings.xml file in .m2 directory. I uninstalled virus scanner and Maven still doesn't downloading dependencies. I don't known how can I run Maven from the command line in STS environment. How can I do this?

Comment

Hey!

How does the settings.xml file look like? What is configured there?

-Martin

Comment

I don't known what should I configure in settings.xml. Could you help me with this configuration?

Code:
                  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!--
                   | This is the configuration file for Maven. It can be specified at two levels:
                   |
                   |  1. User Level. This settings.xml file provides configuration for a single user, 
                   |                 and is normally provided in ${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml.
                   |
                   |                 NOTE: This location can be overridden with the CLI option:
                   |
                   |                 -s /path/to/user/settings.xml
                   |
                   |  2. Global Level. This settings.xml file provides configuration for all Maven
                   |                 users on a machine (assuming they're all using the same Maven
                   |                 installation). It's normally provided in 
                   |                 ${maven.home}/conf/settings.xml.
                   |
                   |                 NOTE: This location can be overridden with the CLI option:
                   |
                   |                 -gs /path/to/global/settings.xml
                   |
                   | The sections in this sample file are intended to give you a running start at
                   | getting the most out of your Maven installation. Where appropriate, the default
                   | values (values used when the setting is not specified) are provided.
                   |
                   |-->
                  <settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0" 
                            xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
                            xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd">
                    <!-- localRepository
                     | The path to the local repository maven will use to store artifacts.
                     |
                     | Default: ~/.m2/repository
                    <localRepository>/path/to/local/repo</localRepository>
                    -->

<!-- interactiveMode
                     | This will determine whether maven prompts you when it needs input. If set to false,
                     | maven will use a sensible default value, perhaps based on some other setting, for
                     | the parameter in question.
                     |
                     | Default: true
                    <interactiveMode>true</interactiveMode>
                    -->

<!-- offline
                     | Determines whether maven should attempt to connect to the network when executing a build.
                     | This will have an effect on artifact downloads, artifact deployment, and others.
                     |
                     | Default: false
                    <offline>false</offline>
                    -->

<!-- pluginGroups
                     | This is a list of additional group identifiers that will be searched when resolving plugins by their prefix, i.e.
                     | when invoking a command line like "mvn prefix:goal". Maven will automatically add the group identifiers
                     | "org.apache.maven.plugins" and "org.codehaus.mojo" if these are not already contained in the list.
                     |-->
                    <pluginGroups>
                      <!-- pluginGroup
                       | Specifies a further group identifier to use for plugin lookup.
                      <pluginGroup>com.your.plugins</pluginGroup>
                      -->
                    </pluginGroups>

<!-- proxies
                     | This is a list of proxies which can be used on this machine to connect to the network.
                     | Unless otherwise specified (by system property or command-line switch), the first proxy
                     | specification in this list marked as active will be used.
                     |-->
                    <proxies>
                      <!-- proxy
                       | Specification for one proxy, to be used in connecting to the network.
                       |
                      <proxy>
                        <id>optional</id>
                        <active>true</active>
                        <protocol>http</protocol>
                        <username>proxyuser</username>
                        <password>proxypass</password>
                        <host>proxy.host.net</host>
                        <port>80</port>
                        <nonProxyHosts>local.net|some.host.com</nonProxyHosts>
                      </proxy>
                      -->
                    </proxies>

<!-- servers
                     | This is a list of authentication profiles, keyed by the server-id used within the system.
                     | Authentication profiles can be used whenever maven must make a connection to a remote server.
                     |-->
                    <servers>
                      <!-- server
                       | Specifies the authentication information to use when connecting to a particular server, identified by
                       | a unique name within the system (referred to by the 'id' attribute below).
                       | 
                       | NOTE: You should either specify username/password OR privateKey/passphrase, since these pairings are 
                       |       used together.
                       |
                      <server>
                        <id>deploymentRepo</id>
                        <username>repouser</username>
                        <password>repopwd</password>
                      </server>
                      -->

<!-- Another sample, using keys to authenticate.
                      <server>
                        <id>siteServer</id>
                        <privateKey>/path/to/private/key</privateKey>
                        <passphrase>optional; leave empty if not used.</passphrase>
                      </server>
                      -->
                    </servers>

<!-- mirrors
                     | This is a list of mirrors to be used in downloading artifacts from remote repositories.
                     | 
                     | It works like this: a POM may declare a repository to use in resolving certain artifacts.
                     | However, this repository may have problems with heavy traffic at times, so people have mirrored
                     | it to several places.
                     |
                     | That repository definition will have a unique id, so we can create a mirror reference for that
                     | repository, to be used as an alternate download site. The mirror site will be the preferred 
                     | server for that repository.
                     |-->
                    <mirrors>
                      <!-- mirror
                       | Specifies a repository mirror site to use instead of a given repository. The repository that
                       | this mirror serves has an ID that matches the mirrorOf element of this mirror. IDs are used
                       | for inheritance and direct lookup purposes, and must be unique across the set of mirrors.
                       |
                      <mirror>
                        <id>mirrorId</id>
                        <mirrorOf>repositoryId</mirrorOf>
                        <name>Human Readable Name for this Mirror.</name>
                        <url>http://my.repository.com/repo/path</url>
                      </mirror>
                       -->
                    </mirrors>

<profiles>
                      <!-- profile
                       | Specifies a set of introductions to the build process, to be activated using one or more of the
                       | mechanisms described above. For inheritance purposes, and to activate profiles via <activatedProfiles/>
                       | or the command line, profiles have to have an ID that is unique.
                       |
                       | An encouraged best practice for profile identification is to use a consistent naming convention
                       | for profiles, such as 'env-dev', 'env-test', 'env-production', 'user-jdcasey', 'user-brett', etc.
                       | This will make it more intuitive to understand what the set of introduced profiles is attempting
                       | to accomplish, particularly when you only have a list of profile id's for debug.
                       |
                       | This profile example uses the JDK version to trigger activation, and provides a JDK-specific repo.
                      <profile>
                        <id>jdk-1.4</id>

<activation>
                          <jdk>1.4</jdk>
                        </activation>

<repositories>
                          <repository>
                            <id>jdk14</id>
                            <name>Repository for JDK 1.4 builds</name>
                            <url>http://www.myhost.com/maven/jdk14</url>
                            <layout>default</layout>
                            <snapshotPolicy>always</snapshotPolicy>
                          </repository>
                        </repositories>
                      </profile>
                      -->

<!--
                       |
                       |
                       | <plugin>
                       |   <groupId>org.myco.myplugins</groupId>
                       |   <artifactId>myplugin</artifactId>
                       |   
                       |   <configuration>
                       |     <tomcatLocation>${tomcatPath}</tomcatLocation>
                       |   </configuration>
                       | </plugin>
                       |
                       | NOTE: If you just wanted to inject this configuration whenever someone set 'target-env' to
                       |       anything, you could just leave off the <value/> inside the activation-property.
                       |
                      <profile>
                        <id>env-dev</id>

<activation>
                          <property>
                            <name>target-env</name>
                            <value>dev</value>
                          </property>
                        </activation>

<properties>
                          <tomcatPath>/path/to/tomcat/instance</tomcatPath>
                        </properties>
                      </profile>
                      -->
                    </profiles>

<!-- activeProfiles
                     | List of profiles that are active for all builds.
                     |
                    <activeProfiles>
                      <activeProfile>alwaysActiveProfile</activeProfile>
                      <activeProfile>anotherAlwaysActiveProfile</activeProfile>
                    </activeProfiles>
                    -->
                  </settings>

Comment

I fixed this problem. Friend installed this environment and copied repository for me. He only clicked next in wizard and hello world worked. I pased it and updated projekt. "Hello World" works. But still in error log are error and warnings: Attachment .
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

Glad to hear that you fixed the problem somehow. What exactly fixed the problem?

The messages in the screenshot are ok, no need to worry about them. The error message points to the grails project facet that you don't have installed since you don't have the Groovy/Grails tooling, right? But as long as you don't wanna to anything with Grails projects, that is fine... :-)

Cheers,
                      -Martin

Comment

Now I don't have the Groovy/Grails tooling, I uninstalled it. "What exactly fixed the problem?" - I only pasted all repositories, which came from my friend's computer. Next I clicked "Maven --> Update Project " and it wroks.

Thanks for help

Comment

Very welcome!!! And thanks for the details!!!

Cheers,
                          -Martin

Comment

Of course. I sent it on your email. I hope that it solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X