X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 3.2.0.M2 hung if ...

Hi, I just want to share my experiences with STS ...

Last year, since the juno release, I have been struggling with STS/eclipse. My setup is that I have ~50 projects open in my ide, whoms sources are managed by both of svn och git, (subversive/eGit). I have experienced performance problems, lock-ups and simply put, a multitude of different problems. I�ve tried virtually every release, (milestones/e3.7/e3.8/sts based on juno/e3.8), that has come out, tweaking gc, changing mem settings, with more or less workable results...

The other day I installed STS 3.2.0 M2 and was hoping for a rocket-fast user experience. To my big disappointment my problems was worse than ever. 7 out 10 times I wasn�t even able to start STS. And if it started it hung within, like 5 minutes.

After looking at some thread dumps it seemed obvious to me that at least subversive was to blame for some of the lockups.

So, what I did was to separate my git projects from my svn projects, using separate workspaces. And after that I have been experiencing a flawless, rocket-fast STS!!!

Since separating the projects, (last 2 days), I have only been working on my git workspace, but that works very very well. I haven�t yet tried working on my svn managed project, but I�m hoping on the same results for those.

To me it seems obvious that there�s something very dark and dangerous going on deep inside of STS using a mix of svn and git projects. Of course I understand that this really is a concern for the mentioned plugin teams. But as a user of the sts/eclipse ecosystem I don�t really care who to blame or who will fix it. Just want to share my findings for now.

Hope you find this as valuable input to why your product don�t behave satisfactory under certain circumstances. It should be quite a common use case having +1 scm.

Cheers
    /Jens

Running STS 3.2.0.M2 on mac with, (to mention some), subversive, eGit, m2e and some jboss plugins.

Are you sure that the problem is coming from svn+git, or maybe it is just coming from git.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Bump up your heap size. Maybe svn is thrashing your memory. . In your STS.app/Contents/MacOS/STS.ini add the line -Xmx1024m (or even higher)
    2. Try importing your svn projects without svn support (ie- use svn on the command line only (this could be a pain, but it might work).
    3. Make sure you are using subversive not subclipse (two competing svn plugins. the former is one that I have had better experience)
    3. Raise an issue in bugzilla for the svn subversive support. http://bugs.eclipse.org

The STS team is not involved with the subversive project and I have little understanding of its internals. If none of this sheds any light on things, feel free to post a stack trace here.

Comment

>>Are you sure that the problem is coming from svn+git, or maybe it is just coming from git.

Well, as I wrote it works flawless since I tried working ONLY with the set of ~35 git managed projects...

>>Here are some suggestions:
      >>
      >>1. Bump up your heap size. Maybe svn is thrashing your memory. . In your STS.app/Contents/MacOS/STS.ini >>add the line -Xmx1024m (or even higher)

Already at 2G

>>2. Try importing your svn projects without svn support (ie- use svn on the command line only (this could be a >>pain, but it might work).

Eeh, dont seems like a good idea to me. Since I suspect that it will work just fine having ONLY svn managed projects. Will confirm that soon.

>>3. Make sure you are using subversive not subclipse (two competing svn plugins. the former is one that I have >>had better experience)

Check.

>>3. Raise an issue in bugzilla for the svn subversive support. http://bugs.eclipse.org

Mmm, hard to know whom to blaim, since they (probably) works just fine on their own.

>>The STS team is not involved with the subversive project and I have little understanding of its internals. If none >>of this sheds any light on things, feel free to post a stack trace here.

Sure. But as I said. Im not having any problems at the moment. And Im not planning on mixing svn/git projects in the near future. I just want to share my findings since the solution isnt that obvious...

Comment

2Gb of memory seems high. I have about 170 projects in my workspace opened at once and I only use 1Gb of memory. These are all git, with a handful of svn projects mixed in. Slowly all of our projects have moved to git, but back in the day, I had no problems mixing git, svn, and cvs.

It's likely something about your setup that is causing the problems. Are your projects particularly big? What happens if you import your svn projects into the workspace and then keep them clsoed until you need them?

Well, if things are working for you now, then best not to touch it, but these are some things totry out later if you need it.

Comment

2Gb of memory seems high. I have about 170 projects in my workspace opened at once and I only use 1Gb of memory. These are all git, with a handful of svn projects mixed in. Slowly all of our projects have moved to git, but back in the day, I had no problems mixing git, svn, and cvs.

It's likely something about your setup that is causing the problems. Are your projects particularly big? What happens if you import your svn projects into the workspace and then keep them clsoed until you need them?

Well, if things are working for you now, then best not to touch it, but these are some things totry out later if you need it.

Comment

Ok, so youre mixing projects. Must be something more to it then...

And yes, I have a couple of big projects. I will test some more later on... right now I have one year of working with crippled tooling to catch up

Comment

Working...
            X