Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 3.1 and Ubuntu 12.10 issue

Hello,

I just installed STS 3.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 and it seems to freeze a lot, it gets blocked for few seconds when opening java files and also XML files.

Is there something that I could disable to have it working normally? It has become so annoying.

I am using java version: java-6-oracle ( "1.6.0_38" )

I would appreciate any help.

Kr,
    Ben

Hey Ben!

I am not a Linux expert (Kris might know more about this, I will ask him to take a look here as well), but I wonder what version of STS you are using. In case it is the STS 3.1.0.RELEASE for Eclipse 4.2, I would recommend to try the STS 3.1.0.RELEASE for Eclipse 3.8 instead. The 4.2-based version has some performance and UI issues due to the changed UI implementation of the underlying Eclipse platform and maybe your problems are related to that. You can you try the Eclipse-3.8-based version of STS?

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your reply. I have also done some small research on the internet about this issue to see if people have also encountered similar problems.
      It appears that people have all sorts of issues with version 4.2 on Linux.

I came across a solution which made my issue go away:

"... select the checkbox "Use virtual memory mapping", you can see the option on, Preference-->Team-->Git-->Window Cache"

(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...70794#13470794)

But if the problem doesn't completely go away, I will switch to version 3.8 as you suggested.

Best regards,
      Ben
      P.S I am using STS 3.1.0.RELEASE for Eclipse 4.2

Comment

Hey!

Please let us know whether the other solutions work for you or what your experiences with going back to 3.8 are, ok? That would be great!

Thanks,
        Martin

Comment

Hello Martin,

Just reporting that I have given up 4.2; didn't like to have to change settings when using creating new project. I think Eclipse 4.2 is not production ready on Ubuntu.

I am now happy using STS 3.1.0.RELEASE based on Eclipse 3.8.

I will try again Eclipse 4.2 perhaps in it's next iteration.

Kr,
          Bineyam

Comment

Hey Bineyam,

good to hear that using the Eclipse-3.8-based version of STS works for you. Thanks for letting us know!!!

Cheers,
            -Martin

Comment

Working...
            X