X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No maven dependencies found in "Select Dependency" dialog

In STS 3.1.0.Release I can't search and find any dependencies via the maven "Select Dependency" dialog in 2 simple maven projects, one imported and one made fresh in STS 3.1.0. I'm watching outgoing calls and when I write a string in the dialog there is no connection made. The connection history for STS remains empty.

I added also these repositories:
    http://maven.springframework.org/release
    http://maven.springframework.org/milestone
    https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/c...ories/releases

and still nothing connects or show up in the results. Firewall turned off.

If I add a full dependency by hand, However, there are connections made to all of the above and of course repo1.maven.apache.org and the package is downloaded to my local maven repository.

This search process used to work quite well, but I must say this now seems very broken for some reason.

What could the cause be beside a bug?
    Last edited by MiB; Dec 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM.

It's not a "bug" as it works fine for me.
    Are you using a Maven proxy as Nexus ?
    Did you update your Maven indexes ?

Comment

Bugs can be local and only active under certain circumstances, as I'm sure you are aware.

No proxy. Did you mean update inside STS? Good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

Comment

OK, I checked first in STS 2.9.2 in which only 2 folders was visible in the local maven repository. There I was able to search and find dependencies also with a minimum index and a non updated index both locally as well as globally.

Returning to 3.1.0 I still tried your advice and did rebuild the local index as well as enabled the use of the full index of repo.maven.apache.org and also updated it. This helped!

Thank you Nico! Always welcome with a reminder on Eclipse's peculiarities, of which there may be fewer and fewer though some will remain.

Whether this is a bug or not depends on what you may consider reasonable defaults. From my point of view, starting a maven project would mean I find it natural the local and global index to be updated as a default or at least that the developer be informed that this optional step is available as well as necessary for full operation. I assume this functionality is all Eclipse though.

It's also notable that STS 2.9.2 was able to find a dependency also with basically the same set up which didn't work in 3.1.0.
        Last edited by MiB; Dec 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

You're welcome.
          I agree on the bug thing
          But yeah, I think there is an option somewhere to rebuild the indexes automatically. I guess the default value is set to false because of the poor performances it would induce (I may be wrong).
          I think this is a m2e behavior which is a JBoss project.

Comment

The behavioral differences on 2.9.2 and 3.1.0 could be related to different m2e versions or embedded maven versions. What versions are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
              The behavioral differences on 2.9.2 and 3.1.0 could be related to different m2e versions or embedded maven versions. What versions are you using?
              I'm not sure on how to actually check what version is used in the project. How do I do that? I peeked in the hidden project files but found no explicit version.
              One of the simple maven projects was made in STS 2.9.2 and then imported and the other was made right in STS 3.1.0. Both projects display the same behavior in 3.1.0, except one created in 2.9.2 which is still accessible in the STS 2.9.2 workspace from STS 2.9.2, as described.

In STS 3.1.0 I use the embedded maven 3.0.4 and in STS 2.9.2 I use the embedded maven 3.0.2.
              Last edited by MiB; Dec 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

OK...just to be sure. You are now saying that there is a project that fails both in 3.1.0 and 2.9.2? Earlier you had implied that the projects only failed to resolve on 3.1.0.

The m2e and maven versions are fixed in the Eclipse install. You can check the m2e version by going to Help -> About STS -> and click on the m2e icon. Honestly, I'm not sure there is much that we can do. It is likely due to a corruption in your indexes as you have found out.

Comment

I'm sorry Andrew. I expressed myself a bit obscurely. It did work fine in 2.9.2 without rebuilding. I clarified my previous message regarding that.

Is there a document describing the available resources and the author groups for the project parts that make up Eclipse/STS? Sometimes it's a bit hard to deduct if it's the one part or the interconnections that are acting up. There ought to be some way to report correctly to the respective group without detailed knowledge of the whole Eclipse parts. An introductory document that could be referred to when a developer needs to report bugs could perhaps improve the quality of bug reports and functionality requests. Maybe a community effort?
                  Last edited by MiB; Dec 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MiB View Post
                    Is there a document describing the available resources and the author groups for the project parts that make up Eclipse/STS? Sometimes it's a bit hard to deduct if it's the one part or the interconnections that are acting up. There ought to be some way to report correctly to the respective group without detailed knowledge of the whole Eclipse parts. An introductory document that could be referred to when a developer needs to report bugs could perhaps improve the quality of bug reports and functionality requests. Maybe a community effort?
                    There is no document with this information. We can suggest where to raise bugs in m2e and other components that we consume, but the tricky part is that since we build on top of these tools, there are often interdependencies that make it difficult to determine the root cause of problems.

If you have a problem and you are not sure of the cause, your best bet is to post here and we can help triage. You will not get much love from the m2e folk if the problem you are having comes from STS.

That being said, though, it would be useful to have a page where different components and their issue trackers and mailing lists are listed. I'll cobble something together.

Comment

Working...
                    X