Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
problem creating grails project with GGTS 3.1 (linux x64 and macosx 10.6) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem creating grails project with GGTS 3.1 (linux x64 and macosx 10.6)

im stuck with a fresh installation of GGTS 3.1 64 bit on my ubuntu 12.04 development machine.

creating a new grails project always results in a timeout:

Code:
    The command '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/java (14.11.2012 12:24:11)' was terminated because it didn't produce new output for some time.

See details for the output produced so far.

If you think the command simply needed more time, you can increase the time limit in the Grails preferences page.

See menu Windows >> Preferences >> Grails >> Launch
    ------System.out:-----------
     | Loading Grails 2.1.1
    | Configuring classpath.
    | Environment set to development.....
    | Installing zip tomcat-2.1.1.zip.....
    | Installed plugin tomcat-2.1.1
    | Resolving plugin JAR dependencies.....
    | Installing zip cache-1.0.0.zip.....
    | Installed plugin cache-1.0.0
    | Resolving plugin JAR dependencies...
    | Installing zip hibernate-2.1.1.zip.....
    | Installed plugin hibernate-2.1.1
    | Installing zip jquery-1.8.0.zip.....
    | Installed plugin jquery-1.8.0
    | Installing zip resources-1.1.6.zip.....
    | Installed plugin resources-1.1.6
    | Installing zip database-migration-1.1.zip.....
    | Installed plugin database-migration-1.1
    | Resolving plugin JAR dependencies
    | Downloading: liquibase-core-2.0.5.pom.sha1
    | Downloading: liquibase-parent-2.0.5.pom.sha1
    ------System.err:-----------

Terminating process: Timeout: no new output for 60000 milliseconds
    i tried:
    - deleting ~/.grails
    - redownload && reinstall GGTS
    - creating a grails plugin project - works
    - install GGTS on two notebooks (Ubuntu 12.10 64 and MacOSX 10.6) - same errors

all the machines have at least 8GB RAM and SSDs, i saw no big cpu load.

questions:
    - i saw the GGTS package as complete, groovy & grails is included - did i get that wrong ?
    - where did i go wrong ?

thx in advance.

Are you able to create a grails project from the command line?

Also, are you behind a proxy or a firewall?

On the command line, you can use the add-proxy and set-proxy commands. I believe that this will also work for grails commands inside of ggts. More information here:

http://grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Com...add-proxy.html
    http://grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Com...set-proxy.html

clear-proxy and remove-proxy are also commands. Clear removes all proxies, and remove is for a single named proxy.

Let me know if this works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
      Are you able to create a grails project from the command line?
      Let me know if this works for you.
      thx, i should have thought of that.
      using the ggts packaged grails i had no troubles creating a new app.
      however run-app throws ...
      Code:
      | Downloading: liquibase-core-2.0.5.jar.sha1
      :: problems summary ::
      :::: ERRORS
      	Server access Error: Connection reset url=http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/liquibase/liquibase-parent/2.0.5/liquibase-parent-2.0.5.jar
      | Compiling 113 source files
      Note: /Users/tja/.grails/2.1.1/projects/xcc/plugins/cache-1.0.0/src/java/grails/plugin/cache/web/GenericResponseWrapper.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
      Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
      | Server running. Browse to http://localhost:8080/xcc
      there is no such jar on that url. i guess the http timeout is too long for ggts ...
      which leads to the questions ...
      - is the jar file needed ?
      - why is it not there or otoh where is grails going wrong ?

Comment

The file http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/li...rent-2.0.5.pom does exist, though. I'm thinking that your local maven repo is corrupted. Maven seems to think that liquibase-parent is packaged as a jar, not a pom. Try deleting it (or at least deleting ~/.m2/repository/org/liquibase/* and trying again.

Comment

thx for your efforts andrew.

i found no ~/.m2 but found that doing a commandline run-app would allow me to continue to work in ggts as a second run-app (or using ggts) would not try to download the jar.

just to find the cause i then deleted .grails and the test projects and started anew with creating a project in ggts ... and the error is gone ... project creation works now as supposed.
          i tried again on the other machines which all had clean fresh installations and all had no grails/groovy/eclipse history whatsoever and all yesterday showed the error ... and all ggts installations now will happily create grails projects.

its mindbogling, if i didnt try it in front of my co-coder i would assume i was on a strange kind of trip.
          did i step over a network glitch or some temporary bug in the repos ?

anyway, thx for the helping hand, happy coding now ...

Comment

I was thinking that it was your maven cache that was corrupted (located at ~/.m2). Instead, it was likely your grails-ivy cache (located at ~/.grails). So deleting ~/.grails forced everything to be downloaded again, which likely fixed your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Eisenberg View Post
              I was thinking that it was your maven cache that was corrupted (located at ~/.m2). Instead, it was likely your grails-ivy cache (located at ~/.grails). So deleting ~/.grails forced everything to be downloaded again, which likely fixed your problem.
              not that i want to complain as it is fixed for /me ...
              ... but on the other 3 machines i didnt delete .grails, i just deleted the testprojects and recreated them (with other names to be sure) - so i guess something in the repos has been changed between yesterday and this morning.
              i still have a long way to understand all that dependency stuff ...

Comment

> just deleted the testprojects and recreated them (with other names to be sure) -

Grails has a somewhat annoying habit of leaving some stuff around inside the .grails folder where it has some sub folders associated with your specific project name and grails version. So likely something in there then was corrupted. If you started with a 'new name' then it would create this stuff fresh for that project.

This isn't a definitive explanation... just a possible one :-)

Comment

Working...
                X