X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of a lighter STS

I have been increasingly frustrated lately with STS, even before the latest 3.1. I am using STS 3.1 now, based on the older Eclipse 3.8 platform. It is prone to prolonged freezes or high CPU usage. Moreover, it is extremely memory hungry. Starting up on my Maven/Spring project, here is what the memory footprint looks like:

STS 3.1: 594MB
    Eclipse 3.7 for Java EE, plus m2e plugin: 380MB

Is there a lighter weight version of the STS functionality available for Eclipse/Spring support? There was a time when you could just install an STS plugin in Eclipse and get basic functionality for stuff like editing the Spring XML.

Hey!

You can still install the latest STS-related projects into an existing Eclipse installation. Just go to the Eclipse Marketplace, there you can get the Spring Tool Suite item and install that into your Eclipse installation.

However, I wonder why exactly your footprint is soo much higher using STS directly and we should definitely work on a fix for this. Can you provide more details and information on your setting, how the project looks like, etc.? Or maybe even provide a heap snapshot for us? That would be great!!! Any help is highly appreciated here!!!

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Fair enough. I have opened a JIRA issue STS-3040, complete with a heap dump.

Comment

Hey!

Thanks a lot for submitting the JIRA and attaching a head snapshot. Much appreciated. I will follow up on that JIRA ticket.

Thanks again,
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X