X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't create a new vfabric instance in STS 3.1

I can't create any instances of vfabric using either STS 3.0.0 or 3.1.0.

When I try and create the instance using the "base" template only and call the instance "chris", I get the error:-

Code:
    Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Users/a363595/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
    Session data is:-

Code:
    eclipse.buildId=3.1.0.201210061306-RELEASE-e42
    java.version=1.6.0_25
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_GB
    Framework arguments:  -product org.springsource.sts.ide
    Command-line arguments:  -data C:\ws\sipp-ao3 -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.springsource.sts.ide
    and stack trace is not available.

Tried re-installing STS in c:/programs, c:/users/me and still the same error.

I have Administrator access to my PC and am in the Administrator group.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers, Chris.

It seems like this line might be failing:-

Code:
    cmd /c C:\Users\a363595\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE\tcruntime-instance.bat create xxx -v 7.0.30.A.RELEASE -t base
    If run it manually from the command line it works fine and the instance is created, although not reflected (obviously) in STS, which is annoying.

I found the line using SysInternals Process Monitor.

Can anyone help me to find out why this line isn't working from STS on my PC?

Comment

Hi there,

You already mentioned there is no stack trace produced, but is there anything in the Error Log view which you think may be related?

To open the view go to Window > Show view > Error Log, or simply press Alt+Shift+Q and then L.

Comment

Originally posted by zaza View Post
        Hi there,

You already mentioned there is no stack trace produced, but is there anything in the Error Log view which you think may be related?

To open the view go to Window > Show view > Error Log, or simply press Alt+Shift+Q and then L.
        Hi zaza,

Thanks for the reply. There is nothing else in the Error Log unfortunately. There is something in the .log file from the workspace .metadata/.log folder:-

Code:
        !ENTRY com.vwmare.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core 4 0 2012-10-26 14:27:04.414
        !MESSAGE Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Users/a363595/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
        !SUBENTRY 1 com.vwmare.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core 4 0 2012-10-26 14:27:04.414
        !MESSAGE Output of the instance creation command:

!ENTRY org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.configurator 4 0 2012-10-26 14:27:04.416
        !MESSAGE The server could not be created.
        !STACK 1
        org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Users/a363595/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
        	at com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.internal.core.TcServerUtil.handleResult(TcServerUtil.java:117)
        	at com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.internal.core.TcServerUtil.executeInstanceCreation(TcServerUtil.java:91)
        	at com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.internal.core.TcServer21ServerHandlerCallback.configureServer(TcServer21ServerHandlerCallback.java:33)
        	at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.internal.configurator.server.ServerDescriptor$ServerHandlerCallbackDelegate.configureServer(ServerDescriptor.java:40)
        	at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.configurator.ServerHandler.createServer(ServerHandler.java:318)
        	at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.configurator.ServerHandler.createServer(ServerHandler.java:157)
        	at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.internal.configurator.server.ConfigurableServerExtension.configure(ConfigurableServerExtension.java:70)
        	at org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.internal.configurator.ConfiguratorImporter$4.run(ConfiguratorImporter.java:419)
        	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
        Contains: Output of the instance creation command:

!SUBENTRY 1 com.vwmare.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core 4 0 2012-10-26 14:27:04.416
        !MESSAGE Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Users/a363595/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
        !SUBENTRY 2 com.vwmare.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core 4 0 2012-10-26 14:27:04.416
        !MESSAGE Output of the instance creation command:
        Maybe that will help?

Comment

After some digging I found that the "Check access permission for the directory {0} and its files and subdirectories." msg is displayed each time a process returns a non-zero code. To make matter worse, there is no additional info from the process in either of its streams, i.e. nothing meaningful after "Output of the instance creation command:".

Is there any chance you set a breakpoint in com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.internal.c ore.TcServerUtil.executeInstanceCreation(IPath, String, String[]) and let me know what arguments have been passed there?

Comment

Originally posted by zaza View Post
            Is there any chance you set a breakpoint in com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.internal.c ore.TcServerUtil.executeInstanceCreation(IPath, String, String[]) and let me know what arguments have been passed there?
            Thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately, I can't seem to resolve the TcServerUtil class in my STS in order to set a breakpoint. If I use ctrl-shift-T to search for the class it doesn't exist. How would I go about setting the breakpoint?

Comment

You will need to import the tc Server bundles into your workspace first.

Here are simplified steps how to do this:
              * clone the eclipse-integration-tcserver project from github
              * set the breakpoint
              * create a new Run configuration
              * launch a debug session
              * follow the steps from your initial post

In case of any questions, feel free to ping me.

Comment

Working...
              X