X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugin capabilities

I tried to find out, what the plugin offers without implementing it. And well I didn't find any documentation about it. Did I miss something?

I am currently using MyEclipseIde for spring development. But all I am using is the web-project and the deployment tool. No jsp, no struts and yes, no ejbs.

Does the Spring-IDE include support for deployment, too? If yes, what kind of support?

I'me using both MyEclipseIDE and Spring-IDE and they coexist nicely. My favorite feature is the auto-validation of applicationContext.xml upon file save.

Comment

I thought more of an replacement. MyEclipseIDE offers much stuff I don't need. Also I have to renew my subscription in 76 days . Autovalidation is also done by the xml editor. Or is there any extense support for the context?

Is there any deployment support added to the Spring-IDE?

Comment

This page has a feature list: http://www.springframework.org/spring-ide/eclipse/

From what I have gathered from using it (I also am using MyEclipse, too), Spring-IDE does three things: validates your applicationContext.xml, gives you a treeview of it and gives you a read-only graphical diagram of it. The validation is the most useful thing.

It does a bit more than just validate with a DTD, it actually inspects all your beans to make sure they exist and that they actually have the properties that you are trying to inject and reports errors on that.

Comment

The Spring-IDE plugin is just that, a plugin. Unlike MyEclipseIde, which is really a separate install of eclipse with some added capabilities (more than just plugins? licencing reasons for repackaging separate install? different topic?). You can use the Spring-IDE plugin inside of MyEclipseIDE, or just throw it into a base eclipse install. I think the -IDE part of the name may be misleading...jboss does it too.

I really like this plugin btw. Its really nice to see my mistakes while developing and not have to wait until it breaks at runtime.

Comment

MyEclipse isn't a special install of eclipse, so much as a set of plugins. The spring-ide in it's current iteration will provide validation of the bean graph specified in your application context(s). It does not interfere with any other xml plugins I have used (XMLBuddy, MyEclipse xml editor), but sits on top to provide its additional functionality. It allows you to check your applicationContext at compile time. In addition, using GEF, it can graph the bean relationships for you in a uml like object graph.

R

Comment

So the plugin isn't about Web projects and Servlets after all. It's more general. But the validation sounds great, so I will check it out.

MyEclipse is a bundle of plugins packed into a product the marchetcts may sell. Thats all, I guess... . But it's a bit heavy. It's like an hen trying to lay all sorts of eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Kersten
                MyEclipse is a bundle of plugins packed into a product the marchetcts may sell. Thats all, I guess... . But it's a bit heavy. It's like an hen trying to lay all sorts of eggs.
                I'm guessing you haven't worked with WSAD - now THAT's an egg-laiden hen... :wink:

Comment

Working...
                X