X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS / GGTS 3.1 toolbar problem

After upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1, the toolbars are messed up. For every deselected or unavailable command group, there is an empty toolbar section with separator. When switching from Java/JEE/Grails/Spring perspective to Debug, there are no debug toolbar icons (Step into ...) visible. After randomly dragging around the empty toolbar sections, they appear in a previously empty section. After switching back (to a perspective without debug commands) the section is empty again. but retains the size that it had with the buttons visible.

Here's a screenshot:
    Attachment

Same error happened in GGTS and STS.
    This problem was already mentioned in
    http://forum.springsource.org/showth...rsion&p=427127 but I'm afraid it goes unnoticed there as the poster asked a different question.
    Attached Files

Eclipse 4.2.x is basically a PITA... It sucks in performance and user experience so you should really be directing these questions to the eclipse guys (I use the 3.8 version without any problems).

Also posting the same question day-after-day isn't considered polite so please don't do that anymore...

Comment

Oddly this didn't come up at all in our testing of STS 3.1.0, but this week I'm seeing the same behaviour in my own dev Eclipse which doesn't include STS. I'd like to suggest this is a bug in Eclipse, but I updated that *last* week and didn't see this behaviour either, so there must be another component involved to triggering this issue.

Comment

It seems to be a problem with the update in any case. It doesn't occur in a new installation of STS 3.1.0

Comment

Hey!

As an alternative, you could also download and install a distribution of STS 3.1.0 that is based on Eclipse 3.8. It includes exactly the same features as the 4.2 version, but it using the old (and at the moment more performant) UI implementation from Eclipse. Just in case you would like to give it a try.

HTH,
          Martin

Comment

Hi.
            I have the same problem after upgrade Spring Tool Suite to version 3.2.0.RELEASE, 64 bit, build Id: 201303060821. Windows 7, 64 bit.
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

As mentioned in this thread, this seems to be a problem with the Eclipse 4.2 UI, as I would guess. I could think of three ways to tackle this:

- try to reset the perspective and/or start with a clean workspace, to see if that solves the problem somehow.
              - you could try to use a fresh installation of STS 3.2.0.RELEASE and re-open your existing workspace.
              - you could try a fresh installation of STS 3.2.0.RELEASE for Eclipse 3.8, that should definitely solve the issue as a last resort.

HTH,
              Martin

Comment

I'm tried:
                1. ran sts.exe with parameter "-clean" - nothing changed
                2. same as 1. and create new workspace - nothing changed
                3. same as 2. and reset perspective - nothing changed
                4. downloaded spring-tool-suite-3.2.0.RELEASE-e4.2.2-win32-x86_64.zip and make clean install - same problem

My history of STS 3.x:
                - clean install STS 3.0.0 - work fine
                - upgrade to STS 3.1.0 (managed by STS) - work fine
                - upgrade to STS 3.2.0 (managed by STS) - my first problem with toolbars, menus etc.

I'm try version STS 3.2 with Eclipse 3.8 - work OK.

Thanx
                Petr

UPDATE: my home computer with Ubuntu 12.04 and STS 3.2.0/Eclipse 4.2 work fine without any problem.
                Last edited by petrf; Mar 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Hey Petr,

thanks for the update and the additional details. I am sorry that had such an unpleasant experience upgrading to 3.2.0. But I am glad to hear that STS 3.2.0 on Eclipse 3.8 is working fine for you.

We will take an additional look at the Windows version that you mentioned that had the same problem to see if we can find out more about this.

Cheers,
                  -Martin

Comment

For me it's not a problem. I am convinced that the next version will work fine.

Thank you for your work.

Peter

Comment

spring-tool-suite-3.3.0.M1-e4.2.2-win32-x86_64 without any problems with toolbars.

Thanks!

Petr

Comment

Awesome!!! And thanks for letting us know!!!

Cheers,
                        -Martin

Comment

Working...
                        X