Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Fedora 17, Installation question - where should spring be installed? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 17, Installation question - where should spring be installed?

I downloaded the latest release

spring-tool-suite-3.1.0.RELEASE-e3.8-linux-gtk-x86_64-installer.sh

To install I did a su - root

and then

sh /download-directory/spring-tool-suite-3.1.0.RELEASE-e3.8-linux-gtk-x86_64-installer.sh

During installation, I said yes to the install directory /root/springsource

It got installed user /root - That was perhaps a bad idea.

Can I move the spring source directory elsewhere? If so would that create a problem? It would appear that Eclise got installed under /usr/bin.

I would like to put it in a common directory so that I just have one instance of spring. How can I rectify the situation? Thanks

Hello

Is wise not work how root for development purposes, I would assume the same for production.
    It is due security concerns

You should move your directory to some directory within your userhome, or just unistall and install again but in some directory within your userhome

In my blog there is a detailed tutorial about how install STS in Fedora Core 17

Comment

I don't use Fedora, I'm on Ubuntu. I always just run the installer as my day-to-day user and install in a subdirectory of my user home. That works well for me and this also the kind of setup that we test before each release of STS and GGTS.

So generally, unless you really have a very good reason to want to share the IDE installation with multiple users (e.g. in some corporate setting where users only allowed to use centrally installed and authorized software) it is probably best to just install the IDE as your day-to-day user in that user's home dir.

I wouldn't advise moving the installation around and trying to fix file permissions, ownership etc. Theoretically that is possible, but I think it is probably easier and less effort to just reinstall.

Kris

Comment

Manual/Kris,

Thanks for your response.

I just moved the spring directory under my home directory and did a chown/chgrp - I will see if that works.

I would like to have uninstalled and re-install, but I just do not know how to uninstall the package since it would appear it installed Eclipse also. So how do I uninstall spring?

Also, Manuel, I can't seem to find your article on spring installation on FC 17. Could you please provide me link to that article?

Thanks for your help and patience with me.

Comment

Hi Patt,

I notice you mentioned this: "It would appear that Eclise got installed under /usr/bin."

That seems really odd. As far as I know our installer doesn't do stuff like that. It basically just keeps everything it installs under the directory where you installed it. Maybe the EZPack installer has some functionality where it detected an opportunity to stuff things into "/usr/bin" because you ran it as root.

When I uninstall, all I really have to do is to delete the installation directory, it doesn't add or modify any files outside of that directory.

Also the installer doesn't install eclipse separately. STS/GGTS is based on Eclipse, so all eclipse functionality it depends on is already contained within the STS product. There's simply isn't a 'separate eclipse' anywhere in there.

Are you sure our installer installed eclipse in /usr/bin ? That seems more like something you would get if you installed a copy of Eclipse via some rpm or apt style packaging system (I know there's something like that in Ubuntu repos, not sure about Fedora, but I always advise people *not* to use those repackaged Eclipses as they tend to cause trouble).

Comment

Hello Path

Also, Manuel, I can't seem to find your article on spring installation on FC 17. Could you please provide me link to that article?
            Here the tutorial

Getting Started with SpringSource Tool Suite

And later you should read
            Creating a Spring MVC project with SpringSource Tool Suite

It going to be really useful for you

Comment

Kris,

My apologies for not responding earler. I had installed Fedora 17 first. I somehow recall that I had unselected Eclipse installation during the OS install. After I installed Spring, I noticed Eclipse. It is possible that I may be mistaken and I had installed Eclipse during Fedora installation. Since I was instalint Spring the first time, I kind of assumed that Eclipse was installed by Spring.

I also thought, Spring installation was kind of like rpm installs and I needed to run an unistallation script. Since it appears Spring keeps everything in one directory, it is perhaps simple as removing the directory. Thanks for all your help.

Originally posted by Kris De Volder View Post
              Hi Patt,

I notice you mentioned this: "It would appear that Eclise got installed under /usr/bin."

That seems really odd. As far as I know our installer doesn't do stuff like that. It basically just keeps everything it installs under the directory where you installed it. Maybe the EZPack installer has some functionality where it detected an opportunity to stuff things into "/usr/bin" because you ran it as root.

When I uninstall, all I really have to do is to delete the installation directory, it doesn't add or modify any files outside of that directory.

Also the installer doesn't install eclipse separately. STS/GGTS is based on Eclipse, so all eclipse functionality it depends on is already contained within the STS product. There's simply isn't a 'separate eclipse' anywhere in there.

Are you sure our installer installed eclipse in /usr/bin ? That seems more like something you would get if you installed a copy of Eclipse via some rpm or apt style packaging system (I know there's something like that in Ubuntu repos, not sure about Fedora, but I always advise people *not* to use those repackaged Eclipses as they tend to cause trouble).

Comment

Working...
              X