Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS on a Terminal Services Server

Hi,

I have a requirements that all of our developers need to use STS via RDP sessions on our Terminal Services server. They need to obviously checkout, develop, test and check in code. They also need the ability to use the inbuilt Tomcat server to test their builds etc. What is the best way to install STS so we can accomplish this? Has this been done before? Is it a supported option?

Thanks,

Terry

Hey Terry!

We don't test and explicitly support running STS via RDP session on a terminal server, but since it is a general desktop application, it should be fine running that on a RDP session.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

So there wouldn't be any issue having a single STS install, used by multiple people simultaneously?
      We are facing some issues mainly around the developers having write access to certain logs etc. in the standard path of the install. Is there a simple way we can get around this issue?

Regards,
      Terry

Comment

Hey Terry!

I haven't tried this myself, but I can see people reporting that they can use Eclipse on a terminal server having a shared install for multiple users. Each user would need to access his own workspace, of course. But I would recommend to look around in the Eclipse community space for questions and answers around this topic, since I expect you will find more people there who have experience with this setting. And the solutions should work for STS as well.

But you should keep in mind that Eclipse/STS requires a good amount of resources (processor and memory), so I don't know if running the IDE on a terminal server will produce the best possible results.

Sorry for not being more helpful...

Cheers,
        -Martin

Comment

Working...
        X