X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGTS 3.0.0 installed but nothing appears

I installed GGTS 3.0.0 in a new Juno Eclipse and everything seems to go well, reboot and there is no indication that there are any tools available for my Grails project? Do I have to do anything to get it activated? Is there an Open Perspective-> Grails?

Hey!

How did you install GGTS 3.0.0 into a new Juno Eclipse? Using the Marketplace?
    You should be able to see a new perspective "Grails", the "Dashboard" (the SpringSource icon) in the toolbar, etc. When you go to the about dialog and take a look at the installation details, is the Grails IDE feature listed there?

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hey!

How did you install GGTS 3.0.0 into a new Juno Eclipse? Using the Marketplace?
      You should be able to see a new perspective "Grails", the "Dashboard" (the SpringSource icon) in the toolbar, etc. When you go to the about dialog and take a look at the installation details, is the Grails IDE feature listed there?

-Martin
      I installed into a new Juno Eclipse using the Marketplace. When I look in Windows->Open Perspective->Other there is no Grails entry. In the Installation Details it says Grails IDE 3.0.0 is installed. Not sure if I need to do anything else to turn it on?

Mase

Comment

Hey!

I tried to install GGTS from the Eclipse Marketplace into a fresh Eclipse JEE Juno and that worked nicely. After the restart I can see the SpringSource logo in the toolbar (for the Dashboard) and I can switch to the Grails perspective.

Did you choose the right entry from the Marketplace (the one for Juno)? If so, I expect there is a conflicting plugin installed in your environment. Could that be?

To analyze that, you would need to go to your console view, open an OSGi Host Concole, and type "ss" (for short status) and take a look at the bundles called "org.grails.ide.eclipse...". What does the output says about those bundles?

-Martin

Comment

Yes I installed the correct version from the Market Place, in fact when I go back and list installed the GGTS for Juno and not for Indigo has a button that says "Uninstall", so the market place software thinks it is installed.

I went to the OSGI Host Console and did a "ss", but there is no entry for org.grails...... at all anywhere in the list? If there is a conflicting plugin I have no idea how to tell that is the case, is there something I can look at?

Mase

Comment

Hey Mase!

That is kind of strange... Can you take a look into the "plugins" directory of your installation to see if there are "org.grails..." plugins there? And did you try to start Eclipse with the "-clean" option?

-Martin

Comment

I checked in my /opt/eclipse/plugins and there are no plugins for org.grails at all. However when I finally found them they are located in my /home/mase/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.2.0.1473617060/plugins and there is a features and p2 and configuration directories there? I am not sure why it put them there and not into my eclipse home in /opt/eclipse?

I tried a eclipse -clean and there is no difference

Comment

How did you install Eclipse? If you installed Eclipse from the Ubuntu Repos... I advise against this. It is better to download and install Eclipse from an official Eclipse download site. E.g. from eclipse.org.

Or even easier is to download and install a bundled GGTS which alreayd has Groovy and Grails tools installed.

I'm not exactly sure what is going wrong with your installation. But we have had reports in the past of problems with people using Eclipse's from the Ubuntu repos. These repackaged versions may seem to work fine at first but they are sometimes incomplete. They are also setup to be shared among multiple users. But this means that the 'central place' where you typically install other plugins and extensions is not write-accessible. This creates problems for certain kinds of extensions known as 'feature patches' (and GGTS has some).

It is still very strange that your installation seems to have worked without any errors, yet the plugins are not enabled when you run.

I will try to reproduce your problems shortly, but in the mean time if you installed from Ubuntu Repo, could you please try again with an 'official' distribution of Eclipse instead. Install this in your user home directory. Don't try to make it a 'shared' setup.

Kris
                Last edited by Kris De Volder; Sep 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

I just did the following

1) download Eclipse-Juno for Java developers from eclipse.org
                  2) unzip this into my /tmp folder for testing.
                  3) start the unzipped executable at "/tmp/eclipse/eclipse"
                  4) install GGTS from Eclipse marketplace

This seems to work fine for me. I have done a quick smoke test of the resulting Eclipse and was able to create a simple grails app without any problems. Groovy and Grails tooling seem installed properly.

Comment

I actually did a very similar install - on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit version

1) download Eclipse-Juno for Java developers from eclipse.org
                    2) unzip this into my /opt folder for testing.
                    3) start the unzipped executable at "/opt/eclipse/eclipse"
                    4) install GGTS from Eclipse marketplace

And no tooling appears in the menus yet is says it is installed in the plugins. Are you testing on 12.04 64 bit? I need to have different versions of eclipse installed in my /opt directory as we use different application plugins.

Comment

Actually, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit. It is possible this is what makes the difference, but I would think it rather unlikely. Still, I will try to get myself setup on a test machine with more recent 64 bit sometime (I need a bit of time to procure a testing machine as I still want to stay on 10.04 32 bit for my main development). But once I do I'll report back.

From your earlier comments in this thread, it seems the extra plugins get installed in a different location. Somehow I think this is very likely connected to the problem. Are you installing eclipse into /opt and then running it as the same user. Or installing as one user (like root) and then running it as a different user.

I'm not sure of this, but it sounds like maybe for some reason when you install the extra stuff, Eclipse is deciding to keep the extensions separate from the core installation. One reason I could think of is different users owning different bits of the installation. It doesn't do that for me. But I do everything as the same user and that user owns everything I install.

Kris

PS: Another thing that may make a difference, is the JVM version. I'm using Sun Java 6 JDK. If I'm going to setup a test maching to try and reproduce, I probably should make it as much as possible like yours. So what JVM are you using to run Eclipse?

Comment

I actually got it incorrect, I am running on a VM using Ubuntu 32 bit 10.04 with some of the following config info:

*** Date: Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:05:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time

*** Platform Details:

*** System properties:
                        applicationXMI=org.eclipse.ui.workbench/LegacyIDE.e4xmi
                        eclipse.application=org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench
                        eclipse.buildId=I20120608-1400
                        eclipse.commands=-os
                        linux
                        -ws
                        gtk
                        -arch
                        x86
                        -showsplash
                        /opt/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.platform_4.2.0.v201206081400/splash.bmp
                        -launcher
                        /opt/eclipse/eclipse
                        -name
                        Eclipse
                        --launcher.library
                        /opt/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.1.200 .v20120522-1813/eclipse_1502.so
                        -startup
                        /opt/eclipse//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
                        --launcher.overrideVmargs
                        -product
                        org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
                        -vm
                        /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/bin/../lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
                        eclipse.home.location=file:/opt/eclipse/
                        eclipse.launcher=/opt/eclipse/eclipse
                        eclipse.launcher.name=Eclipse
                        eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2/
                        eclipse.p2.profile=epp.package.jee
                        eclipse.product=org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.produc t
                        eclipse.startTime=1346965480631
                        eclipse.vm=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26/jre/bin/../lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
                        eclipse.vmargs=-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
                        -Dhelp.lucene.tokenizer=standard
                        -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
                        -Xms40m
                        -Xmx512m

Thanks for taking a look at this.
                        Mase

Comment

@Mase, it might be that the install didn't work because you didn't install GGTS into a writable directory. Try moving Eclipse to a writable location (eg- user home) and install ggts into there.

This was an Eclipse bug for Indigo and earlier. It was supposed to be fixed in Eclipse 4.2, but perhaps it is not working in all situations.

Comment

So I moved the /opt/eclipse directory to ~/bin/eclipse and then tried to install from the Market Place and I get the following error:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
                            Software being installed: Grails IDE 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE)
                            Missing requirement: SpringSource Tool Suite Grails Support (Core) 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.core 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE) requires 'bundle org.apache.commons.io 0.0.0' but it could not be found
                            Cannot satisfy dependency:
                            From: Grails IDE 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE)
                            To: org.grails.ide.eclipse.refactoring [3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE]
                            Cannot satisfy dependency:
                            From: org.grails.ide.eclipse.refactoring 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE
                            To: bundle org.grails.ide.eclipse.core 0.0.0

Comment

Mase, with 'move' do you mean 'copy/move' the files or did you install a fresh Eclipse in the new location?
                              I'm not sure actually moving the files is a great idea. I wouldn't bet on it working after move. (Yes, in theory it should be ok, but... like I said, I wouldn't bet on it).

I'm trying now to take a look at what my fresh 'Eclipse' looks like in terms of the sysprops you posted. Maybe something jumps out, but right now I really a bit at a loss why you are having these problems.

One question: I see that you are also using sun java 6, just like me. But I can't tell if you are using a JDK or just a JRE (it should be a JVM as STS tools require it for certain functionality, though if you have a JRE, that alone can not explain why you are having issues *installing* the grails features / plugins).

Comment

Working...
                              X