Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic workspace configuration

Hi all,

I noticed that when I run STS 3.0.0 for the first time, the workspace is automatically configured and the vFabric tc server setup is automatically created. I need to do the same to another server (I'm creating a custom installer for my company). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
    Fl�vio

Hey Flavio!

STS does this when it finds tc Server, Spring Roo, Maven (and possibly Grails) at startup. So as long as you have tc Server, for example, installed together with STS, it does this auto configuration. This doesn't happen for Tomcat or other types of servers, but you could implement that yourself, if you want to spend the time. What exactly are you trying to do?

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hey Flavio!

STS does this when it finds tc Server, Spring Roo, Maven (and possibly Grails) at startup. So as long as you have tc Server, for example, installed together with STS, it does this auto configuration. This doesn't happen for Tomcat or other types of servers, but you could implement that yourself, if you want to spend the time. What exactly are you trying to do?

-Martin
      Hi, Martin.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm creating a custom installer with all development tools we use in my company, STS and Tomcat among them. I want Tomcat to be configurated automatically in the workspace the same way tc Server is, when the workspace is used for the first time (I'm using Izpack to build the installer). Do you know how I can do that?

(Please forgive my poor language, I'm not a native speaker.)

Flavio

Comment

Hi Flavio

There are a couple of places where you'd need to start looking in order to get this working for your customized install, and you need to be a little familiar with Eclipse plugin development and extension points. I'd like to point you to https://github.com/SpringSource/ecli...ration-commons where we host our code for automatic workspace configuration, and also https://github.com/SpringSource/ecli...ation-tcserver where we host our tc Server integration (and where you'd get some example of automatic server configuration).

At the eclipse-integration-commons repository, the plugin org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.configurator exposes a few extension points, but the one you'd be interested in is the com.springsource.sts.ide.configurator.serverConfig urations. This extension tells STS that you have a server that you want auto-configured, where to find it, how to define it, etc. If you look into the tcserver git repository, the com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core plugin.xml contains about 6 examples of this extension point, so you can see how we've done if for tc Server.

In your case you'd need to include a custom Eclipse plugin in your STS. Your plugin would have a dependency to our org.springsource.ide.eclipse.commons.configurator plugin, and it would implement the com.springsource.sts.ide.configurator.serverConfig urations in a similar way that the tc Server integration does.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you for your kind response. The information was very helpful and put me in the right direction.

Flavio

Comment

Working...
          X