X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!

Yes, those builds are there (they exist) and you can download and use them. But we haven't run the full testing cycle on them, therefore they don't appear on the official download page.

In addition to this we are heavily discussing this performance issue at the moment to come up with a good solution for the upcoming versions. One option could be to ship 3.1.0.M1 on top of Eclipse 3.8 as the main distribution, but that hasn't been decided yet. I will keep you posted.

-Martin

Comment

Hey!

Since you asked for it and just in case you missed this: We published STS 3.1.0.M1 with 4.2- AND 3.8-based distributions. So you can easily use STS 3.1.0.M1 based on the Eclipse 3.8 platform if you observe performance or other issues with the 4.2-based platform:

http://forum.springsource.org/showth...-0-M1-released

HTH,
      Martin

Comment

Slowness between XML editor still occurs in STS 3.1

Hi Martin,

I am still experiencing this issue in STS 3.1.0.

I switch from the spring xml editor to the standard editor and it does seem to improve performance. I do notice that the standard xml editor is slow to render the xml, there's a noticeable pause before it displays.

Using the spring editor, the IDE locks up for about 10+ seconds. I can see the building workspace is happening in the Progress bar but nothing really is being built, since I hadn't changed any source.

Regards
        Kiren

Comment

Hey Kiren!

Can you take a thread dump during these 10+ seconds where the IDE locks up? (using jps and jstack)
          That would be great and could help us identifying the problem.

Thanks,
          Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
            Hey Kiren!

Can you take a thread dump during these 10+ seconds where the IDE locks up? (using jps and jstack)
            That would be great and could help us identifying the problem.

Thanks,
            Martin
            See attachment

Comment

Hey!

Thanks a lot for providing the thread dumps. I looked at them and it seems like there is some issue with the new e4 UI platform going on. Can you download and install the STS 3.1.0 distribution that is based on Eclipse 3.8 to see if the problem goes away using that version? It is available from the STS download page and contains exactly the same feature set (just uses the older UI implementation from Eclipse). My hope is that it solves the issue you are seeing.

HTH,
              Martin

Comment

STS 3-1-0 still has the problem

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
                Hey!

Thanks a lot for providing the thread dumps. I looked at them and it seems like there is some issue with the new e4 UI platform going on. Can you download and install the STS 3.1.0 distribution that is based on Eclipse 3.8 to see if the problem goes away using that version? It is available from the STS download page and contains exactly the same feature set (just uses the older UI implementation from Eclipse). My hope is that it solves the issue you are seeing.

HTH,
                Martin
                Hi Martin,

I am experiencing the same issue on STS 3.1.0. I am running Java 7, on ubuntu 12.04 Linux 64bit.

Regards
                Kiren

Comment

Also, my CPU goes to 100% when this happens.

Comment

Hi Martin,

I've also experienced "lag" after working for a while during the day. I'm currently using the nightly builds hoping that it would be resolved but still no luck. Restarting fixes it for a while but it the issue returns.

My observation is that everything will be fine until after I start doing a few File Searches containing some text and searching files in my workspace matching this pattern: *.java, *.js*, *.properties, *.tag, *.xml, *.css In my project, this is searching roughly 5500 files.

I just switched to the "Classic" theme and disabled animates tonight (Preferences>Gneral>Appearance) and have yet to see any lag. I'll report back in a couple days to let you know if switching to the Classic theme helps with the lag.

Dan

Here's some info:
                    System76, i7 2.4Ghz, 16GB ram, SSD, Linux Ubuntu 12.

Spring Tool Suite
                    Version: 3.1.0.CI-B884637
                    Build Id: 201210240250

Some config info:
                    com.atlassian.connector.eclipse.branding.ui.isOnly JiraInstalled=false
                    eclipse.application=org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench
                    eclipse.buildId=3.1.0.201210240250-CI-B884637-e42
                    eclipse.commands=-os
                    linux
                    -ws
                    gtk
                    -arch
                    x86_64
                    -showsplash
                    -launcher
                    /home/dmonroe/Applications/springsource/sts-3.0.0.RELEASE/STS
                    -name
                    STS
                    --launcher.library
                    /home/dmonroe/Applications/springsource/sts-3.0.0.RELEASE//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1. 200.v20120522-1813/eclipse_1502.so
                    -startup
                    /home/dmonroe/Applications/springsource/sts-3.0.0.RELEASE//plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
                    --launcher.overrideVmargs
                    -exitdata
                    4b78011
                    -product
                    org.springsource.sts.ide
                    -vm
                    /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_29/bin/java
                    eclipse.home.location=file:/home/dmonroe/Applications/springsource/sts-3.0.0.RELEASE/
                    eclipse.launcher=/home/dmonroe/Applications/springsource/sts-3.0.0.RELEASE/STS
                    eclipse.launcher.name=STS
                    eclipse.p2.data.area=@config.dir/../p2/
                    eclipse.p2.profile=DefaultProfile
                    eclipse.product=org.springsource.sts.ide
                    eclipse.startTime=1351131787919
                    eclipse.vm=/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.6.0_29/bin/java
                    eclipse.vmargs=-Xverify:none
                    -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/jni
                    -DCATALINA_HOME='/usr/local/tomcat'
                    -Xmn194m
                    -Xms1024m
                    -Xmx2100m
                    -Xss4m
                    -XX:PermSize=256m
                    -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m
                    -XX:+UseParallelGC
                    -XX:CompileThreshold=500

Comment

Hey!

Originally posted by kirenpillay View Post
                      Hi Martin,

I am experiencing the same issue on STS 3.1.0. I am running Java 7, on ubuntu 12.04 Linux 64bit.

Regards
                      Kiren
                      Did you try to run the STS 3.1.0 version that is build on top of Eclipse 3.8 (instead of 4.2)?

-Martin

Comment

Hey Dan!

Originally posted by DanMonroe View Post
                        I've also experienced "lag" after working for a while during the day. I'm currently using the nightly builds hoping that it would be resolved but still no luck. Restarting fixes it for a while but it the issue returns.

My observation is that everything will be fine until after I start doing a few File Searches containing some text and searching files in my workspace matching this pattern: *.java, *.js*, *.properties, *.tag, *.xml, *.css In my project, this is searching roughly 5500 files.

I just switched to the "Classic" theme and disabled animates tonight (Preferences>Gneral>Appearance) and have yet to see any lag. I'll report back in a couple days to let you know if switching to the Classic theme helps with the lag.
                        Thanks for the details here. It is interesting that just switching to the Classic theme improves this. That surprises me a bit, since I thought that most of the problems were caused by the new UI implementation that is still being used after switching to the classic theme (as far as I know). However, good find. Thanks for that.

Did you also try the Eclipse 3.8-based version of STS 3.1.0 (and then go with the nightly builds)? Would be interesting to see if the problems go away when using that version. Since most of the performance issues of these kinds are caused by the 4.2-based Eclipse UI platform, using our nightly builds doesn't help much. We have to wait for the next Eclipse maintenance release (Juno SR2), which will include a lot of fixes for the performance issues. Meanwhile you should give STS 3.1.0 based on Eclipse 3.8 a try, ok?

HTH
                        -Martin

Comment

fixed

I think the folks at eclipse.org may have finally made real progress.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_b...?id=391868#c12

http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/ec...2975b3351da433

Bogdan's code changes appears to have fixed my problems with long delays switching between xml documents. I looked at the code changes he checked in, and identified two jars affected in this build:
                          http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/dow...-x86_64.tar.gz

So I swapped in these two jars:
                          org.eclipse.e4.ui.services_0.10.2.v20121107-162442.jar
                          org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings_0.10.2.v20121107-162442.jar

and updated the bundles.info to point to the new jars, and no more waiting!

Thought others might want to know...

John Phillips
                          Last edited by jephillips34; Nov 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM. Reason: fixed url

Comment

Hi,

Do you guys happen to have the tar.gz file mirrored somewhere ?
                            Downloading it from Eclipse's server seems horribly slow...

Originally posted by jephillips34 View Post
                            I think the folks at eclipse.org may have finally made real progress.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_b...?id=391868#c12

http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/ec...2975b3351da433

Bogdan's code changes appears to have fixed my problems with long delays switching between xml documents. I looked at the code changes he checked in, and identified two jars affected in this build:
                            http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/dow...-x86_64.tar.gz

So I swapped in these two jars:
                            org.eclipse.e4.ui.services_0.10.2.v20121107-162442.jar
                            org.eclipse.e4.ui.bindings_0.10.2.v20121107-162442.jar

and updated the bundles.info to point to the new jars, and no more waiting!

Thought others might want to know...

John Phillips

Comment

Hey!

I think those maintenance builds are not mirrored by the usual Eclipse mirrors, since they are just in-between integration builds, and not full milestone or release builds.

As a side note: You could also download the STS builds on top of Eclipse 3.8 (available from the general STS download pages) to avoid those performance issues.

Cheers,
                              -Martin

Comment

Hey!

As we are working on more performance improvements at the moment, there is now a collecting JIRA ticket for that:
                                https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-3054

This gives a good overview about what we are working on, what we found, and what is already done.

Cheers,
                                -Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X