X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!

We have created a feature patch for the performance issue mentioned above. You can install it directly from the Dashboard into an existing STS/GGTS 3.0.0 installation. Can you please try this to see if this helps with the performance problems you observe?

The other way is to install the feature patch directly from this update site:
    http://dist.springsource.com/release...hes/bug386070/

Please let us know what your experiences are using this patch!

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Installed the patch, didn't much difference but didn't have real problems.

What I wonder is what's going on with the memory consumption.
      For example switching from one editor to another one (Java files) makes the Heap size increasing by 15/20M each time.
      So going back and forth 10 times will add 200M before some garbage collection kick off. Still, during that time memory consumption is going through the roof.
      Am I the only one to see that ?

Comment

Hey!

I can see something similar on my installation, the heap status shows an increase in memory consumption of around 8-9MB each time I switch between editors. However, this gets garbage collected from time to time and doesn't slow down my machine (or my STS usage).

I am using these specific GC settings in my sts.ini. Can you try that maybe:

Code:
        -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
        with a max heap of 1024m, but that depends a bit on your OS (whether it is 32bit or 64bit).
        Does this setting make a difference on your machine?

Aside of that I would be highly interested in getting to know whether the patch makes a difference for those users at observe a significant slowdown over time when using STS for an hour or more...

-Martin

Comment

Thanks Martin.

Looks like adding
          Code:
          helps the garbage collection.

Here is my full STS.ini
          Code:
          -vm
          C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.7.0_05/bin/javaw.exe
          -startup
          plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
          --launcher.library
          plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.200.v20120522-1813
          -product
          org.springsource.sts.ide
          --launcher.defaultAction
          openFile
          --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
          256M
          -vmargs
          -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
          -Xms512m
          -Xmx2048m
          -XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Comment

This helped, but it could be better:

with a max heap of 1024m

WinXP 1.8 Gb open, 2GHz dual core.

Comment

Hi,
              I have installed the Patch and also made the GC setting change in STS.ini,
              but still not much improvements. Switching between the files is still taking bit time..
              I also observed that switching between java and property files is bit quick but switching between XML files in editor does take long time..
              Not sure if I am the only one who is getting this kind of behavior.

I am running 2 instances of STS and only the instance which is bit loaded (6 projects and approx 2000+ files) is having this problem.
              The other instance works well for XML switching but it has very less load (less than 50 files).

Please note I am not opening these thousands of files in the Editor when I mentioned the switching.. But just normal 20-30 files at a time.

Sorry, I haven't performed any memory monitoring exercise.
              Thanks.

Comment

Hey!

Can you capture a few thread dumps while it is taking a long time to switch something (using jps and jstack)? This is maybe not the best data to find performance issues, but maybe the easiest thing to do. Just find out the process ID of your running STS instance via jps and then do a jstack <processID> while STS is taking a long time. Maybe we can see something from that.

I usually work with STS while having something around 30-50 projects in the workspace (also with a lot of files), but I haven't experienced those issues yet, therefore my questions for more data... :-)

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

I have just observed that, if I open XML files in a text or XML editor, the switching is very quick, like java and property files.
                  But if I open XML files in Spring Config Editor, then it takes bit time. I am using spring integration and I liked using Spring Config editor, since I can see integration-graph etc details. And I think this is taking a bit time since its generating graph and other GUI components, but in earlier version of STS (2.9.2), there was no delays using that editor.

May be this finding will help narrowing down the root cause?

Also, I have captured few thread dumps but not sure how to send these, as I am bit new to community.

I think, as of now I will keep using text/xml editor for working with XML files.

Thanks.

Comment

Just one more thing, its not only about switching between the files takes time, but even expanding different views (like Console, Problems, Servers etc) takes a while to expand. At least this was the behavior before the patch and after running STS for 2-3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by nakulbhor View Post
                      I have just observed that, if I open XML files in a text or XML editor, the switching is very quick, like java and property files.
                      But if I open XML files in Spring Config Editor, then it takes bit time. I am using spring integration and I liked using Spring Config editor, since I can see integration-graph etc details. And I think this is taking a bit time since its generating graph and other GUI components, but in earlier version of STS (2.9.2), there was no delays using that editor.

Also, I have captured few thread dumps but not sure how to send these, as I am bit new to community.
                      That is indeed a very interesting observation and will help narrow down this issue. Can you add this observation to this issue, together with your thread dumps:
                      https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2848

That would be great!

Just one more thing, its not only about switching between the files takes time, but even expanding different views (like Console, Problems, Servers etc) takes a while to expand. At least this was the behavior before the patch and after running STS for 2-3 hours.
                      Did this change after you installed the patch?

Thanks for your help investigating these issues!!!
                      -Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

I think, as of now I will keep using text/xml editor for working with XML files.

Thanks.
                        I've filed a issue to run a profiler over the Spring Config Editor: https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2864

I've run Eclipse Memory Analysis Tools over the config editor in the past, and it has been very useful for tracking down resource leaks but I haven't run it lately. The config editor itself hasn't changed since 2.9.2, but if Eclipse or one of our dependent frameworks has changed something about the way resources are handled, then it could help to flag it down.

Comment

may be eclipse bug

Hi Martin, I came back from vacation

Further I was investigated, this problem may be caused by eclipse bug.
                          https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=385272

The bug has been resolved, this problem might be resolved too.
                          In parallel, I'll try the solution you pointed(#15, #16).

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi,
                            I tried the patch(http://forum.springsource.org/showth...869#post422869), but this did not improve by my case..
                            So, I think the eclipse bug is main cause of this issue.

Thanks.

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for letting us know, we will keep a close eye on this.
                              In the meantime, you might want to switch to an Eclipse 3.8 Classic SDK and install STS and the other required parts manually, if you want. It is a bit work, but gives you the "old UI" feeling and hopefully the old performance in your case.

See, for example:
                              http://forum.springsource.org/showth...-Eclipse-3-8-0

HTH,
                              -Martin

Comment

Thanks for your help!

I changed an Eclipse 3.8 Classic SDK and installed STS 3.0, WTP, etc, it worked very well.
                                I did not know about Eclipse 3.8, and your advice was very helpful.

My issue is closed, and I wait that the eclipse bug is solved..
                                Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                                X