Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS & GGTS 3.0.0 released

Dear Spring Community,

we are happy to announce the next major release of our Eclipse-based tooling today: The Spring Tool Suite 3.0.0 and the Groovy/Grails Tool Suite 3.0.0.

As you may have noticed from following the milestone builds for our 3.0 release cycle, we are now shipping two distributions:
    • The Spring Tool Suite is best suited for developers using Spring and Java.
    • The Groovy/Grails Tool Suite is focused on providing the best experience for Groovy and Grails developers.
    Both tool suites ship on top of the latest Eclipse Juno release from June this year.
    And both tool suites are now fully open-sourced and componentized into separate projects at GitHub.
    Please take a look at the full announcement here: http://blog.springsource.org/2012/08...-and-at-github

To download the distributions, please go visit:
    Detailed new and noteworthy notes can be found here: STS/GGTS 3.0.0 New & Noteworthy
    FAQ for the 3.0.0 release can be found here: STS/GGTS 3.0.0 FAQ

We recommend to start with STS and GGTS 3.0.0 using a fresh vanilla download of the distributions or an installation from the Eclipse Marketplace into a vanilla Eclipse JEE installation. Manually upgrading an existing STS 2.9.x or older installation is not recommended and is not available through "Check for Updates". Automatic updates will be available again for future releases beyond 3.0.0.

Enjoy!!!
    The SpringSource tooling team
    Last edited by Martin Lippert; Aug 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM.

Is it possible to update from STS 3.0.0.M3 to 3.0.0 release using "Check for Updates"? Because it can't find any updates.

Comment

No, that's not possible. The bundle-ids where changed after M3. This was to avoid problems with upgrades from 2.9 to 3.0. The changes are to great to make this possible and people who would attempt to do it would end up with a broken installation.

To avoid these problems we decided to explicitly make upgrades from any pre 3.0.RELEASE versions impossible.

(Note: this is in the FAQ, but as I read it, I see that the entry isn't clear that this also applies to 3.0 milestones, we'll have to fix that, thanks for pointing that out

Comment

Thank you, I had understood from the FAQ that it wasn't possible to upgrade from 2.x to 3.x, but didn't understand that the same applied to 3.0.0.Mn

Comment

You are absolutely right, it wasn't very clear from the FAQ before. Thanks, Kris, for making this clear and adding this to the FAQ.

Cheers,
          -Martin

Comment

Symantec is blocking both STS and GGTS 3.0.0 classifying it under WS.Reputation.1 virus. Please see attached files for warnings displayed.

Attachment
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

I wanted to install the Grails IDE 3.0 into my Juno installation (OSX Mountain Lion), but get the following error (using the release update site):

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
              Software being installed: Grails IDE 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE)
              Missing requirement: SpringSource Tool Suite Groovy Debug Support (Core) 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.groovy.debug.core 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt 2.2.0' but it could not be found
              Cannot satisfy dependency:
              From: Grails IDE 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE (org.grails.ide.eclipse.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE)
              To: org.grails.ide.eclipse.groovy.debug.core [3.0.0.201208091000-RELEASE]

I tried to install the Groovy Plugin from http://groovy.codehaus.org/Eclipse+Plugin (Version 2.7), but no success. I also tried to install it from the milestone and nightly update site.

Any hints?

Wolfgang

Comment

Hey Wolfgang!

Which update sites did you try for this?

I tried to install the Groovy/Grails Tool Suite tooling into a fresh Eclipse Juno JEE package from the Eclipse Marketplace without any problems. Just open the "Eclipse Marketplace", search for Grails, and select the "Groovy/Grails Tool Suite for Eclipse Juno (4.2)". Its the easiest way to get the grails tooling installed, I think.

HTH,
                Martin

Comment

Hey1

Originally posted by raj.sisodia View Post
                  Symantec is blocking both STS and GGTS 3.0.0 classifying it under WS.Reputation.1 virus. Please see attached files for warnings displayed.

Attachment
                  Attachment
                  Thanks for this hint. The classification under "WS.Reputation.1" seems to be a false positive. I will check with Symantec to get STS and GGTS white-listed.

Thanks for letting us know!
                  -Martin
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
                    Which update sites did you try for this?
                    I tried to install from http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/grails-ide/ into Juno 4.2. This did not work.

I tried to install the Groovy/Grails Tool Suite tooling into a fresh Eclipse Juno JEE package from the Eclipse Marketplace without any problems. Just open the "Eclipse Marketplace", search for Grails, and select the "Groovy/Grails Tool Suite for Eclipse Juno (4.2)". Its the easiest way to get the grails tooling installed, I think.
                    Thanks for the tip, installing from Marketplace did the trick for me.

So Marketplace does have more features, which are not available, when installing directly from the update sites mentioned in the GitHub GGTS readme.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Comment

I installed GGTS 3.0.0.RELEASE some days ago. Now it fails installing updates complaining
                      Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
                      Software being installed: Groovy/Grails Tool Suite 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37 (org.springsource.ggts.ide 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37)
                      Only one of the following can be installed at once:
                      Text Editor Framework 3.8.0.v20120523-1310 (org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor 3.8.0.v20120523-1310)
                      Text Editor Framework 3.7.0.v20110928-1504 (org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor 3.7.0.v20110928-1504)
                      From: Java Development Tools UI 3.8.0.v20120524-1551 (org.eclipse.jdt.ui 3.8.0.v20120524-1551)
                      To: bundle org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor [3.8.0,4.0.0)
                      From: JAX-WS DOM Tools 1.0.200.v201109042201-5-F8NAkF7BB7U8PEK8K (org.eclipse.jst.ws.jaxws.dom.feature.feature.grou p 1.0.200.v201109042201-5-F8NAkF7BB7U8PEK8K)
                      To: org.eclipse.jdt.ui 0.0.0
                      From: Eclipse Platform 3.7.2.v20120207-1839-9gF7UHPDFxGjd-PqDr2jX_4yKaumkoHTz04_q-q (org.eclipse.platform.feature.group 3.7.2.v20120207-1839-9gF7UHPDFxGjd-PqDr2jX_4yKaumkoHTz04_q-q)
                      To: org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor [3.7.0.v20110928-1504]
                      From: Groovy/Grails Tool Suite 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37 (org.springsource.ggts.ide 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37)
                      To: org.springsource.ggts.package.feature.group [3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37]
                      From: Groovy/Grails Tool Suite Package 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37 (org.springsource.ggts.package.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37)
                      To: org.eclipse.jst.ws.jaxws.dom.feature.feature.group 0.0.0
                      From: Groovy/Grails Tool Suite Package 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37 (org.springsource.ggts.package.feature.group 3.0.0.201208091152-RELEASE-e37)
                      To: org.eclipse.platform.feature.group [3.7.2.v20120207-1839-9gF7UHPDFxGjd-PqDr2jX_4yKaumkoHTz04_q-q]

Comment

Hey!

Did you install GGTS 3.0.0 from the distribution downloads? Or did you install it into an existing Eclipse?
                        From the error message it looks like there is a conflict between different Eclipse versions going on. Can you tell me what Eclipse version you used to install and how you installed GGTS then? And what other update sites are active on your installation?

-Martin

Comment

Hey!
                          Can you tell me what Eclipse version you used to install and how you installed GGTS then? And what other update sites are active on your installation?
                          -Martin
                          I installed a clean GGTS copy decompressing the distribution archive from http://download.springsource.com/rel...nux-gtk.tar.gz
                          Then (and maybe this is my fault) I installed some plugins using |File||Import|Install|From existing installation| taking them from the previous STS 2.9 installation. No warning. No alert. No update sites added. Plugins were installed successfully. Then I installed some other plugins (like the fullscreen plugin) that in the meantime I removed just to check if they were responsible for this problem.

This is the list of currently enabled update sites:
                          * http://download.eclipse.org/releases/juno
                          * http://dist.springsource.com/release...LS/update/e4.2
                          * http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x
                          * http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.8.x
                          * http://dist.springsource.com/release...0.RELEASE/e3.7

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that after the clean install I also added some extensions from the dashboard: namely "gradle support", "subclipse" and the "performance patch for Bug 386070". Installing these extensions seems enough to reproduce the problem... I'll give you more info asap
                          Last edited by d_cavestro; Aug 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM. Reason: additional info about installed extensions

Comment

@Martin
                            Now I'm sure enough: decompressing the distribution archive from http://download.springsource.com/rel...nux-gtk.tar.gz and then installing "Gradle Support" from the Dashboard "Extensions" tab is enough to reproduce the problem.

I saw installing Gradle support introduces the following components:
                            Gradle IDE 3.0.0.201208090949-RELEASE org.springsource.ide.eclipse.gradle.feature.featur e.group
                            Gradle Tooling Api 3.0.0.201208090949-RELEASE org.gradle.toolingapi.feature.feature.group

Please tell me if you need more info.

Comment

Hey!

I looked into this in more detail and have identified the issue:
                              The extension install item for Gradle pointed to the Eclipse 3.7-based update site and didn't distinguish this depending on the platform that you are running on. This caused this update site to creep in:
                              http://dist.springsource.com/release...0.RELEASE/e3.7

I fixed this and the Gradle extension is now correct and should always install from the correct update site. In case you already installed it from the wrong update site, you should just delete the mentioned update site from the list of available update sites (Preferences -> Install/Update -> Available Update Sites). After that, installing updates should work again.

HTH,
                              Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X