X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish Performance

I use the STS 2.5 at work due to the Maven structure. The performance is a big issue. It is frequently hung even with one or two typing. I have the same issue on other versions of STS, but not as bad as this one. Anything I can do to reduce the performance problem?

Hey!

What memory settings to you use? Can you take a look at the sts.ini and post details here?
    And on what system are you on? (operating system, 32/64bit, memory)

You can also turn on the heap status (from the Preferences -> General) to see if your performance problem is memory related.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hey!

What memory settings to you use? Can you take a look at the sts.ini and post details here?
      And on what system are you on? (operating system, 32/64bit, memory)

You can also turn on the heap status (from the Preferences -> General) to see if your performance problem is memory related.

HTH,
      Martin
      Thanks Martin for your response. Here is the information you ask for:

-vm
      C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_32/bin/javaw.exe
      -startup
      plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
      --launcher.library
      plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.1 .R36x_v20100810
      -product
      com.springsource.sts.ide
      --launcher.defaultAction
      openFile
      --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
      256M
      -vmargs
      -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
      -Xms40m
      -Xmx768m
      -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

Window 7, 32 bit , 4G
      1xxM of 276M

Performance seems to get better after I uncheck the "auto build". I still experience to have a few minute to close a file from time to time.

Comment

Hey!

Can you take a thread dump (using command line with jps and jstack) when you observe a slowdown and attach it here? Maybe that helps us a bit to figure out what is going wrong. Did you also look at the heap consumption when it slows down? Sometimes garbage collection can cause some "stop-the-world" behavior, but you would notice that by looking at the heap status indicator in the status bar of Eclipse (if enabled in the preferences), it would be something like nearly full before, then the slowdown, and then suddenly Eclipse continues and there is some heap space again. Can you check this?

Thanks for your help!
        -Martin

Comment

Working...
        X