Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
STS 2.91 fails creating Grails project with install-plugin gwt Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.91 fails creating Grails project with install-plugin gwt

I'm a newbie, so I'm learning lots of moving pieces all at once. The problem occurs when I create a new Grails project and then do install-plugin gwt. I get a compile error that com.goog.gwt.user.client.rpc does not exist.

I've tried this many times and always fail in the same way.
    1. Fresh install of 2.9.1 (or 2.9.2)
    2. Install Extensions: Google Plugin for Eclipse, Grails, Grails Support
    3. File -> New -> Grails Project
    4. Right click on the new project, choose Grails Tools -> Open Grails Command Prompt
    5. Type install-plugin-gwt

6. I get the following output in the console
    | Loading Grails 2.0.4
    | Configuring classpath.
    | Environment set to development.....
    | Resolving plugin gwt. Please wait...
    | Installing zip gwt-0.6.1.zip.....
    | Installed plugin gwt-0.6.1
    | Resolving plugin JAR dependencies.....
    | Plugin installed.

7. Then a popup "Problem Occurred" box:
    'Updating Grails dependencies for project 'test4'' has encountered a problem. (quotes exactly as shown)
    Command terminated with an error code (see details for output)

8. The details are:

Command terminated with an error code (see details for output)
    ------System.out:-----------
    | Loading Grails 2.0.4
    | Configuring classpath.
    | Environment set to development.....
    | Installing zip svn-1.0.0.M1.zip.....
    | Installed plugin svn-1.0.0.M1
    | Resolving plugin JAR dependencies.....
    | Compiling 56 source files.
    | Error Compilation error: startup failed:
    Compile error during compilation with javac.
    /Users/keithg/.grails/2.0.4/projects/test4/plugins/gwt-0.6.1/src/java/grails/plugins/gwt/client/GwtActionService.java:3: package com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc does not exist
    import com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.RemoteService;
    ^
    /Users/keithg/.grails/2.0.4/projects/test4/plugins/gwt-0.6.1/src/java/grails/plugins/gwt/client/GwtActionService.java:12: cannot find symbol
    symbol: class RemoteService
    public interface GwtActionService extends RemoteService {
    ^
    /Users/keithg/.grails/2.0.4/projects/test4/plugins/gwt-0.6.1/src/java/grails/plugins/gwt/client/GwtActionServiceAsync.java:3: package com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc does not exist
    import com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.AsyncCallback;
    ^
    /Users/keithg/.grails/2.0.4/projects/test4/plugins/gwt-0.6.1/src/java/grails/plugins/gwt/client/GwtActionServiceAsync.java:11: cannot find symbol
    symbol : class AsyncCallback
    location: interface grails.plugins.gwt.client.GwtActionServiceAsync
    <T extends Response> void execute(Action<T> action, AsyncCallback<T> callback);
    ^
    Note: /Users/keithg/.grails/2.0.4/projects/test4/plugins/gwt-0.6.1/src/java/org/codehaus/groovy/grails/plugins/gwt/XMLJUnitResultFormatter.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
    Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    4 errors
    1 error
    ------System.err:-----------

Thank you for any help and suggestions.

Some additional information:
    1. I'm using os x 10.6.8
    2. I have tried this as described above and also with both GWT_HOME exported and GRAILS_HOME exported in my .bash_profile
    3. From the command line (outside of STS) I can successfully do the following:
    a. cd /projects/test
    b. grails create-app GwtTutorial
    c. grails install-plugin gwt

So, I'm guessing that it appears to be something in STS that is not picking up some path or environment setting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Keith,

I'm not really familiar with GWT plugin...

But I found this via a Google search:
      http://waynedge.blogspot.ca/2012/02/...tup-notes.html

BTW: the one thing I can add to that is that on his 'note 2'. There *is* in fact a mechanism in recent versions of STS to set Java system properties for all your grails commands / processes at once via a preferences page. Go to

Windows >> Preferences >> Groovy >> Grails >> Grails Launch. There's place there to add system properties. These will get added to all commands you run from STS.

Though I am not certain of this, I think GWT will check both for a system property or an ENV variable called GWT_HOME. So if you add your GWT_HOME that will probably work for you. (Let me know if it does, for future reference when other people ask :-)

You should not have to set GRAILS_HOME (the Grails tools already take care of this, if you configured a grails install in your workspace).

Kris

Comment

Hi Kris,

First, thank you very much for responding.

I am pleased to report that after several days and *many* reinstalls I have just now got it to work. Although I had GWT_HOME defined in my .bash_profile, it was not being picked up by STS. It did not work even when I had gwt installed as part of the Google Plugin for Eclipse extension. So, what I needed to do was to create an environment.plist file and put it in ~/.MacOSX directory. (I had to create that directory). I used Xcode to create the .plist, but I think it is just a plain xml file as I was able to edit it with a text editor. Here is what my environment.plist file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
        <plist version="1.0">
        <dict>
        <key>GWT_HOME</key>
        <string>/Developer/Devtools/Google/gwt-2.4.0</string>
        <key>GRAILS_HOME</key>
        <string>/usr/share/java/grails-2.0.3/</string>
        </dict>
        </plist>

In STS preferences I pointed the Google -> Web Toolkit to my /Developer/Devtools/Google/gwt-2.4.0 directory

This now works.

It is interesting what you report about system properties and Grails Launch. That may be helpful to me going forwards.

Thanks again, Keith

Comment

Working...
        X