X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instaling Spring (not STS) into Eclipse

I am using Eclipse Helios SR2 and I am trying to install the Spring jar files only. All I want to do is start a web MVC project. I not need STS, roo, tc, etc.

So what do I need to do? Download the Spring-Framework and copy the jar files to the project's WEB-INF/Lib folder? If so, which jar files are necessary for a Spring MVC project? (All the posts I've seen on this topic seem to be > 5 years old, and everyone seems to have a different method.)

Thanks.

Kevin

Hey Kevin!

I would recommend to use a web MVC example project from GitHub (for example https://github.com/springsource/spring-mvc-showcase), run the Maven build and let Maven setup the Eclipse metadata (I think it is something like mvn eclipse:eclipse) and then import the project into your Eclipse IDE.

If you have the Maven Integration for Eclipse installed, you can also clone the Git repo and import the project with "Import existing Maven project" and Eclipse will setup the classpath and all the necessary dependencies for you.

You can also try to setup everything manually by downloading the Spring framework yourself, add those libs to the project classpath, and then add the dependencies yourself, but I don't know whether there is a list of dependencies defined somewhere aside of Maven. But you might wanna ask that question in the Spring Web forum.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Martin,

Thanks for the information. I've already downloaded the framework, but I'll look into the github example as well.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X