Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring IDE on a Juno release

Hi,

Is there a way to install S IDE on a fresh Juno? I tried nightly and Milestone2, but it complains about missing dependencies...

Regards, Charlie

Hey!

There are different update sites for STS for the different Eclipse versions, so please take care to choose to correct update site for Eclipse Juno:

http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/

This points (at the moment) to the latest milestone build of STS 3.0.0 for Eclipse Juno and you should be able to install everything from this update site. If that doesn't work, please let me know what exactly is missing (maybe just paste the error message here) and we can find out what is going wrong.

New Marketplace entries will follow once we have published the final 3.0.0 release of STS in August.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Hi,

I've installed the full Eclipse Juno, excluding the platform group. The I added your update site http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/ and tried to install STS.

I selected these groups to install (excluding any vFabric, Mylyn and SDK groups);
      x Atlassian Connector
      x Core / Eclipse Integration Commons
      Core / Eclipse Integration vFabric tc Server
      x Core / Grails IDE for Eclipse
      x Core / Groovy/Grails Tool Suite
      x Core / Spring IDE
      x Core / STS
      x Extensions (Incubation) / Spring IDE
      x Extensions / Spring IDE
      Extensions / STS
      x Integrations / Spring IDE
      Mylyn Features
      Mylyn Integrations
      Mylyn SDKs and Frameworks
      Resources / Eclipse Integration Commons
      Resources / Spring IDE
      x Uncategorized

I get the following dependency error though when I proceed with the install. From what I can tell it seems the installer is trying to install multiple JDT plugins, any ideas?

Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
      Software being installed: Groovy-Eclipse Feature 2.7.0.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE (org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.feature.feature.group 2.7.0.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE)
      Software currently installed: m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse 1.1.0.20120530-0009 (org.eclipse.m2e.feature.feature.group 1.1.0.20120530-0009)
      Software currently installed: Object Teams Development Tooling 2.1.0.201206090452 (org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt.feature.group 2.1.0.201206090452)
      Only one of the following can be installed at once:
      Object Teams Development Tooling Core 3.8.1.v_OTDT_r210_201206090452 (org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.8.1.v_OTDT_r210_201206090452)
      Java Development Tools Core 3.8.1.v20120531-0637 (org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.8.1.v20120531-0637)
      Java Development Tools Core 3.8.1.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE (org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.8.1.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE)
      Cannot satisfy dependency:
      From: Groovy-Eclipse Feature 2.7.0.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE (org.codehaus.groovy.eclipse.feature.feature.group 2.7.0.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE)
      To: org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch.feature.group [2.6.1.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE]
      From: m2e - Maven Integration for Eclipse 1.1.0.20120530-0009 (org.eclipse.m2e.feature.feature.group 1.1.0.20120530-0009)
      To: org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group 3.6.0
      From: Object Teams Development Tooling 2.1.0.201206090452 (org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt.feature.group 2.1.0.201206090452)
      To: org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt.core.patch.feature.gr oup [2.1.0.201206090452]
      From Patch: org.codehaus.groovy.jdt.patch.feature.group 2.6.1.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.8.0.v20120525-1249-8-8nFqlFNOfwKDRGz-pXLdGxEM83 (org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group 3.8.0.v20120525-1249-8-8nFqlFNOfwKDRGz-pXLdGxEM83)
      To: org.eclipse.jdt.core [3.8.1.xx-20120703-1400-e42-RELEASE]
      From Patch: org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt.core.patch.feature.gr oup 2.1.0.201206090452 Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.8.0.v20120525-1249-8-8nFqlFNOfwKDRGz-pXLdGxEM83 (org.eclipse.jdt.feature.group 3.8.0.v20120525-1249-8-8nFqlFNOfwKDRGz-pXLdGxEM83)
      To: org.eclipse.jdt.core [3.8.1.v_OTDT_r210_201206090452]
      Last edited by [email protected]; Jul 11th, 2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Hey!

A few ideas about what is going wrong here:

- you don't need to select "Groovy/Grails Tool Suite" and "Uncategorized" from the update site. Those are the branding and package features, which include some more dependencies to other stuff that really necessary at the moment and can cause missing-dependency issues at the moment. We are going to improve this, but if you install the tooling inton an existing Eclipse Juno, you should not install those two features. For getting the Grails tooling, it is perfectly fine to just select the Grails IDE. There is nothing you will miss from not selecting the "Groovy/Grails Tool Suite" (aside of the branding which isn't active in an existing Eclipse installation anyway).

- is the Eclipse installation that you are using a vanilla Eclipse Juno JEE installation? I can see the ObjectTeams Development Tooling appearing in your error report and I think that the Groovy-Eclipse JDT patch (which is part of the Groovy-Eclipse and Grails tooling) is not compatible with ObjectTeams Development Tooling, because they provide their own JDT patch.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Hi,

I've removed the ObjectTeams plugins completely and also tried the installation without selecting the "Groovy/Grails Tool Suite" and "Uncategorized" groups. Everything is now installing 100%.

I'll give it a run over the next few days too see how it handles my exisiting and new Grails projects.

Two things that I think would improve the STS installation are;
          1. Have the installation co-exist with the ObjectTeams plugins as I assume some people might want to use both ObjectTeams and Grails/Groovy plugins.
          2. Sign the plugins so that the Eclipse installer doesn't keep popping up warning messages about unsigned content.

Other than that, thanks for the help, hopefully I can migrate from my older Eclipse 3.6 environment once the STS plugin goes GA.

Regards

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for letting us know that is works now.

And thanks for the suggestions. Here a few comments:

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            1. Have the installation co-exist with the ObjectTeams plugins as I assume some people might want to use both ObjectTeams and Grails/Groovy plugins.
            This is a tricky one, since both projects provide a patched version of the JDT core plugin. There is not much we can do about this at the moment, since we cannot merge the two patches at install-time... :-(

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            2. Sign the plugins so that the Eclipse installer doesn't keep popping up warning messages about unsigned content.
            We are already signing the bundles, there are just a few plugins that we consume from other projects that are not yet signed. I guess you have seen Equinox Weaving bundles as well as a bunch of codehaus plugins unsigned, right? We are working on getting those remaining bundles in a signed way as well.

Cheers,
            -Martin

Comment

We will... :-) Thanks for the nice feedback!!!

Cheers,
              -Martin

Comment

If I try to add this update site, I'll get this error:

Communication with repository at http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/ failed.
                Communication with repository at http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/ failed.
                Read timed out

Comment

Hey!

Can you contact other update sites correctly? If not, maybe you are behind a firewall or a proxy and your network connection settings are not setup correctly within Eclipse/STS?

HTH,
                  -Martin

Comment

I can contact other update sites. Only the springsource update sites don't work. oO

Edit: I try a new fresh juno, but it still don't work. Maybe a problem with the 64bit version of juno?
                    Last edited by cookie-exploit; Jul 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hey!

I tried this myself again and I have no problems accessing the update site when I put that into the "install new software" dialog in Eclipse Juno. That is strange...

Can you try these URLs to see if they all fail?
                      http://download.springsource.com/mil...S/update/e4.2/
                      http://download.springsource.com/mil...3.0.0.M3/e4.2/

Especially the last one doesn't contain everything you would need to install certain elements, but we could try those URLs to see what is working and what not.

-Martin

Comment

This update sites work for me! Thanks for help, now I can finally use the STS with juno!

Comment

Martin

I am receiving an access denied message from the url http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/

The time out error looks to be a response from within the eclipse installer.

Comment

Hey!

Originally posted by simonb View Post
                            I am receiving an access denied message from the url http://dist.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/update/e4.2/
                            This happens when you browse to that location, right?
                            This is the expected behavior when browsing to that location, as you can also read from here:
                            http://forum.springsource.org/showth...S-FAQs-updated

Originally posted by simonb View Post
                            The time out error looks to be a response from within the eclipse installer.
                            So this is a different error when I understand it correctly. You are getting a read timeout when accessing the update site from within Eclipse/STS? In that case, did you check your proxy settings? And did you try the "download.springsource.com" version to see if that works better?

HTH,
                            Martin

Comment

Working...
                            X