Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I remeber some issue long time before, that Eclipse needs a JDK and does not run run with a JRE, but I thought there was a hint. Anyway...

The java.home states now
    java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_37\jre

but error remains.

Comment

Hm, okay, that looks exactly as it is on my machine (where creating instances work from within STS). What kind of instance did you select when creating a new instance in STS? And is there anything showing up in the Error Log view that could possibly be related to this?

I am slowly running out of ideas why this doesn't work on your machine...

-Martin

Comment

No, there are no other errors. I will try the same situation on a similar work station and will report.

Comment

Ok, thanks for further testing this!!!

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by ts-hra View Post
            Yes, the JDK setting is:
            Code:
            JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_37
            but it even works without the java-home option:
            Code:
            C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>tcruntime-instance.bat create myserver2
            Creating instance 'myserver2' ...
              Using separate layout
              Creating bin\setenv.bat
              Creating conf\wrapper.conf
              Applying template 'base'
                Copying template's contents
                Applying fragment 'context-fragment.xml' to 'conf/context.xml'
                Applying fragment 'server-fragment.xml' to 'conf/server.xml'
                Applying fragment 'web-fragment.xml' to 'conf/web.xml'
                Applying fragment 'tomcat-users-fragment.xml' to 'conf/tomcat-users.xml'
                Applying fragment 'catalina-fragment.properties' to 'conf/catalina.properties'
              Applying template 'base-tomcat-7'
                Applying fragment 'web-fragment.xml' to 'conf/web.xml'
                Applying fragment 'catalina-fragment.properties' to 'conf/catalina.properties'
              Applying template 'bio'
              Configuring instance 'myserver2' to use Tomcat version 7.0.30.A.RELEASE
              Setting permissions
            Instance created
            Connector summary
              Port: 8080   Type: Blocking IO   Secure: false

C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>
            Yeah, if you have JAVA_HOME set that is fine.

So... how do you see this server under the Eclipse --> Servers ??? Can you import it there ??

It' December 4th, 2012 and this dumb error still happens...

Comment

Hey!

You can import this instance into STS by walking through the wizard to create a new server of type "tc Server". When you select the tc Server installation for which you created that instance manually, you can select "existing instance" instead of "creating new instance" and then select the manually created instance from the drop-down. That should do it.

HTH,
              Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
                Hey!

You can import this instance into STS by walking through the wizard to create a new server of type "tc Server". When you select the tc Server installation for which you created that instance manually, you can select "existing instance" instead of "creating new instance" and then select the manually created instance from the drop-down. That should do it.

HTH,
                Martin
                Yes, thanks Martin, that worked well.
                -Alex

Comment

Hey Alex!

Great to hear that it is working and thanks for letting us know!!!

Cheers,
                  -Martin

Comment

I can confirm that this issue occurs, as I am still experiencing it. I'm running:

Spring Tool Suite
                    Version: 3.2.0.RELEASE
                    Build Id: 201303060821

With JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_38

Even though I have administrator permissions on this machine and full control over the directory in which it is trying to write (can R/W/X other files there), I get the same errors identified by other users above. Viewing directory permissions shows them set to read only. When I change them, they either change successfully and revert, or fail silently. I haven't tried chmod as this is a windows machine and I'm not running cygwin or anything similar at the moment. Also, I'm in an enterprise and have to accept that perhaps some policy is getting applied without my direct knowledge. I even tested that theory somewhat by moving the entire directory a different, user-writeable location on my drive just to see if it would help - it did not.

However, I did successfully set up a tc Server via command line as Martin described a couple posts up and got up and running - but am still troubled that I could not get around the "Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory..." issue.

Comment

Hey!

Did you maybe install STS (and tc Server) into the "Program Files" directory on your machine? If so, this could cause a variety of problems when working with STS and tc Server, because Windows is treating this directory very special. So please make sure that all this happens outside of "Program Files". (Having the JDK there should be fine though.)

Aside of that STS is setting the environment variable for the JDK in case you are trying to create a new tc Server instance from the wizard. So is your STS instance running on the same JDK that you mentioned? It is important to run it on a JDK and not a JRE only. It is just a bit guessing around here, but those are the cases that I have seen before.

HTH,
                      Martin

Comment

Working...
                      X