X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey!

Good find with the "diagnostics" template. It looks like it requires certain properties that we don't support yet from the wizard. If I try to create the instance from the command line, it tells me:

Code:
    create failed. A value for the property 'diagnostics.jdbc.driverClassName' is required but was not provided. A value can be provided using --property diagnostics.jdbc.driverClassName=<value>
    So it looks like you need to create a diagnostics template from the command line.

Here is a JIRA issue to improve the wizard for those kinds of templates:
    https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2463

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

The same problem for me with the newest STS (downloaded today). Even starting with admin rights didn't help. :-(

Comment

Hey!

What error exactly? Can you provide some more details here? That would be great!

Cheers,
        -Martin

Comment

error1: Project facet grails.app has not been defined. It is used in plugin com.vmware.vfabric.ide.eclipse.tcserver.core.
          error2: Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Dev/sts-3.1.0_64/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.

Don't know if these errors are related, but the apear together during the "create tc server instance" action.

Comment

Hey!

Error 1 is "expected behavior", since the tc server integration supports Grails apps in case you have the Grails tooling installed as well. If not, this message is being generated.

Error 2 sounds more relevant to the problem we are seeing. It looks like there is a problem while creating the instance. Are you able to create the instance from the command line?

-Martin

Comment

Hi.

I have the same problem.
              (Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit, Java 1.6, sts-3.1.0.RELEASE - tried all variants: zip, installer, update Eclipse Juno)

Steps:
              view Servers -> New Server -> vFabric tc Server -> Create new instance -> name=MyTcInst, template=base -> Finish
              I got error "Server Error Creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory ... "
              Using the instructions, I changed folder owner and added to myself all permissions. - Doesn't help
              I started STS or Eclipse as Administrator - Doesn't help.

When I create new instance on command line, it is created successfully. I can run it from command line, deploy simple war and it's working.
              But again, I can't use the existing instance from STS: it is created ok, but failed to start.
              "Server VMware vFabric tc Server Developer Edition (Runtime) v2.7 at localhost failed to start.
              An exception stack trace is not available."

Comment

Found workaround for the second variant.

Create new instance via command line.
                In STS: new server using "existing instance" choise.
                When I try to run it, I see in Console:
                org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory getStore
                SEVERE: Failed to load keystore type JKS with path %workspace%\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.ser ver.core\tmp1/conf/tc-server-bio-ssl.keystore due to %workspace%\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.ser ver.core\tmp1\conf\tc-server-bio-ssl.keystore (The system cannot find the file specified)
                java.io.FileNotFoundException: %workspace%\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.ser ver.core\tmp1\conf\tc-server-bio-ssl.keystore (The system cannot find the file specified)
                I searched the file and found it at %spring%\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE\MyInst\conf
                Copied from instance config into sts workspace metadata config.

Now I can start/stop/publish from STS to the vFabric server.

But STS deploys not to MyInst webapp folder, but to %workspace%\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.ser ver.core\tmp1\wtpwebapps
                Last edited by zmila; Nov 13th, 2012, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zmila View Post
                  But STS deploys not to MyInst webapp folder, but to %workspace%\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.ser ver.core\tmp1\wtpwebapps
                  Are you able to change that in the Server Editor, under Server Location section? To open the editor double-click on the server in the Servers view.

Comment

Originally posted by zaza View Post
                    Are you able to change that in the Server Editor, under Server Location section?
                    Yes! Thanks, I changed to "use tc Server installation" and fixed deploy path.

Comment

Yes, I get the following message:
                      Code:
                      C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>tcruntime-instance.bat create --java-home "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_3
                      7" myserver
                      Creating instance 'myserver' ...
                        Using separate layout
                        Creating bin\setenv.bat
                        Creating conf\wrapper.conf
                        Applying template 'base'
                          Copying template's contents
                          Applying fragment 'context-fragment.xml' to 'conf/context.xml'
                          Applying fragment 'server-fragment.xml' to 'conf/server.xml'
                          Applying fragment 'web-fragment.xml' to 'conf/web.xml'
                          Applying fragment 'tomcat-users-fragment.xml' to 'conf/tomcat-users.xml'
                          Applying fragment 'catalina-fragment.properties' to 'conf/catalina.properties'
                        Applying template 'base-tomcat-7'
                        Applying template 'bio'
                        Configuring instance 'myserver' to use Tomcat version 7.0.30.A.RELEASE
                        Setting permissions
                      Instance created
                      Connector summary
                        Port: 8080   Type: Blocking IO   Secure: false

C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>
                      After that, I have a new myserver directory in the TC root dir.

Comment

Hey!

Originally posted by ts-hra View Post
                        Code:
                        C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>tcruntime-instance.bat create --java-home "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_3
                        7" myserver
                        I can see from this that you are specifying the JDK explicitly with a special value for java-home. STS does this automatically when you try to create an instance from within STS and it uses the system property java.home for that, so it uses the same JDK as the one you are running STS with. Is that the same in your case?

-Martin

Comment

Yes, the JDK setting is:
                          Code:
                          JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_37
                          but it even works without the java-home option:
                          Code:
                          C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>tcruntime-instance.bat create myserver2
                          Creating instance 'myserver2' ...
                            Using separate layout
                            Creating bin\setenv.bat
                            Creating conf\wrapper.conf
                            Applying template 'base'
                              Applying fragment 'context-fragment.xml' to 'conf/context.xml'
                              Applying fragment 'tomcat-users-fragment.xml' to 'conf/tomcat-users.xml'
                            Applying template 'base-tomcat-7'
                            Applying template 'bio'
                            Configuring instance 'myserver2' to use Tomcat version 7.0.30.A.RELEASE
                            Setting permissions
                          Instance created
                          Connector summary
                            Port: 8080   Type: Blocking IO   Secure: false

C:\Dev\sts-3.1.0_64\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE>

Comment

Hey!

Two more questions:

First: If you open STS, select the About dialog -> Installation details -> Configuration, what does the system property for java.home mentions there? Just curious what is there and therefore gets passed to the instance creation.

Second: if you try to create an instance from within STS, what template do you select? And after that fails, so you see the instance being created when you take a look at the tc server itself (using a file browser)?

Thanks,
                            Martin

Comment

Java home points to the JRE:
                              java.home=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6

Perhaps the whitespace is a problem?

There is no server dir and the error message states:
                              Code:
                              Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/Dev/sts-3.1.0_64/springsource/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.7.2.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
                              Stack trace:
                              Code:
                              An exception stack trace is not available.

Comment

Hey!

Can you try to point your STS installation to a JDK instead of just a JRE?
                                (-vm parameter in the sts.ini)

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X