Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating tc server instance in STS

Hi all,

I am having trouble ceating tc server instance in SST. Basically I do the following..

Go to Server tab in Debug Perspective
    Click the link for new Server Wizard.
    Choose the default (VMWare vFabric tc Server)
    Choose create new instance
    Give it a name and select "base" as template
    Click Finish

And the error is "Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory...".
    When I go this directory it mentioned I am seeing that it is read only, but if I remove that option then SST (or Windows) puts it back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey!

I guess you have STS installed into "Program Files" or another special area where Windows watches your file permissions and doesn't allow you to change those permissions for security reasons. I would recommend to install STS into a different, user-writeable location on your drive and try again. That should work.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hey!

I guess you have STS installed into "Program Files" or another special area where Windows watches your file permissions and doesn't allow you to change those permissions for security reasons. I would recommend to install STS into a different, user-writeable location on your drive and try again. That should work.

HTH,
      Martin
      Hi Martin,

I created a seperate folder on my C drive called "STS" and installed there. I still get the same error when trying to create a server.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
      Jehan

Comment

Hey Jehan!

Is the default instance being created correctly after you started STS from the fresh installation for the first time? If not, can you take a look at the Error Log view to see if there is anything related showing up?

-Martin

Comment

Hey Jehan!

Is the default instance being created correctly after you started STS from the fresh installation for the first time? If not, can you take a look at the Error Log view to see if there is anything related showing up?

-Martin
          Hi Martin,

When I look in my install directory for SST I am seeing a folder for the server . But when I go to create an instance (through the server wizard) it still gives the error I noted above. Can you let me know how exactly I can check the Error log?

I am using SST version: 3.0.0.M1
          Build Id: 201205010613

Thanks.

Comment

Jehan --

Thank you for the bug report. I will look into this problem from here.

One quick question: what did you name your new instance? I.e. when you were on the create-new-instance page and selected "base", what name did you give it? If there were illegal characters in the name, or you gave it the name of a directory which already exists, then you might get that error also.

To see the error log view, one way is to select Window -> Show View -> Error Log; another is to press control-3, start typing "Error Log", and select the view "Error Log". (Control-3 is wonderful!) You can clear the error log with the X button.

If you could clear the log, then attempt to make a server, and post the error that results, that would be helpful.

Can you also post a directory listing of this directory, including the permissions?
            C:\STS\springsource\vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE
            This is the directory on the file system where the server instance (what you made from "base") actually gets installed. You should see a directory called spring-insight-instance, for example.

If you have a directory with the same name as what you called your server instance (what you made from "base", what I asked about above), please give the contents of that directory as well.

Finally, please make sure that you are running from the C:\STS directory, that you don't have another version in C:\Program Files and are accidentally running from that.

Comment

Hi Kate,

I just gave a name like "test" and I am sure this was not a name of an existing directory.

Here are the details from the error log...

eclipse.buildId=3.0.0.201205010613-M1-e42
              java.version=1.6.0_25
              java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
              BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
              Framework arguments: -product com.springsource.sts.ide
              Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide

Error
              Tue Jun 05 11:58:42 EDT 2012
              Error creating server instance. Check access permission for the directory C:/STS/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE and its files and subdirectories.
              eclipse.buildId=3.0.0.201205010613-M1-e42
              java.version=1.6.0_25
              java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
              BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
              Framework arguments: -product com.springsource.sts.ide
              Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide
              Error
              Tue Jun 05 11:58:42 EDT 2012
              Output of the instance creation command:

Both of these errors appear to happen together.

I hope the below suffices as a directory listing, if you need more details please tell me how to get it on Windows 7....

C:\SST
              \apache-maven-3.0.3
              \spring-roo-1.2.1.RELEASE
              \sts-3.0.0.M1
              \vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE
              \bash_completion
              \lib
              \licenses
              \templates
              \tomcat-6.0.35.B.RELEASE
              \tomcat-7.0.26.A.RELEASE

The directory with my name did not seem to get created.

Yes I am running from the STS directory. I go into the sts-3.0.0.M1 directory, and launch STS.exe.

Thanks again for your help,
              Jehan

Comment

Thanks for the information. Please see if you have permission to access
                C:/STS/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE
                There is a nice little picture here of how to see what the access permissions are on a file/folder:
                http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ion-ownership/
                (Note that permissions are in the second section, with ownership in the first.) If you don't have permissions on that directory, please give them to yourself, try to make an instance again, and post what you find.

Also please post a listing of the files in
                C:/STS/vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE
                and make sure you have permissions.

Question for our benefit: how did you install STS? Did you unpack a zip or use the installer?

Comment

I tried giving myself permissions through the steps outline in that page but it still gives the same error.

In the vfabric-tc-server-developer-2.6.5.RELEASE folder there are the folders I listed above like bash_completion, lib, etc, and there are some flies like readme.txt, tcruntime-ctl.bat, tcruntime-instance.bat. I also made sure I have access to these.

I installed STS through the installer.

Comment

What happens when you try to create the instance from the command line?

-Martin

Comment

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone found a solution?

Comment

Hey!

Can you try to run STS in admin mode to see if that solves the problem in your case?
                        Otherwise, can you try to create an instance from the command line to see if that works?

Thanks,
                        Martin

Comment

The problem went away but I'm not sure what I did in the end that fixed it. Might have been updating perms on all the folders, but at this point I've completely re-installed STS and tcServer. Now my problem is this Deployment-Assembly-going-haywire

Comment

Glad to hear that the issue with the tc Server is gone. Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
                            -Martin

Comment

Glad to hear that the issue with the tc Server is gone. Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
                              -Martin
                              I was having the exact same issue. Played with the permissions on both the folders and the shortcut that starts the application, but to no avail.

I did however find something that may be of interest. I was trying to create a new server using the wizard and I was selecting the following templates:

base
                              diagnostics
                              insight

Taking diagnostics out of the mix allowed the server to be created. Selecting just base, or just insight worked as well, but selecting just diagnostics and you get the same error.

Comment

Working...
                              X