Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS license

Hi all,

I want to evaluate STS to find out if I could use STS instead of pure Eclipse or Netbeans for Java develiopment.
    But when reading the end user license agreement I find the following in topic "2. LICENSE GRANT, USE AND OWNERSHIP":
    "...VMware grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable license (without the right to sublicense) (i) to use the Software in accordance with the Documentation solely for non-production purposes of Licensee's internal business operations, development, evaluation, and education..."

So I can use STS only "... for non-production purpose..."? What if I want to use it for "production purpose"? If I want to develop Java software that I want to sell one day? Do I have to buy a license then?

Up to now I thought that STS is also running under Apache license. But now I would be happy if someone could tell me if STS can be used for SW development for free or not.

thanks and regards
    GŁnter

Hey GŁnter!

Please take a look at:
    http://forum.springsource.org/showth...e-of-IDE-tools

So as long as you don't redistribute STS itself (the IDE) with your products, you can of course use STS as your IDE to build commercial products.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Martin,

thanks a lot for your answer and for clarifying things.
      Then there is no reason anymore not to start with STS ;-)

Regards
      GŁnter

Comment

Working...
      X