Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Loss of Gradle import functionality when eclipse is copied to a new machine Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Gradle import functionality when eclipse is copied to a new machine

I have pulled the STS gradle plugin at home using the following steps:

Install Groovy plugin first via:
    http://dist.codehaus.org/groovy/dist...snapshot/e3.7/

Downloading the following bookmark to a local file first and import it into eclipse:
    http://dist.springsource.com/snapsho.../bookmarks.xml

Then installing the Gradle Plugin from:
    http://dist.springsource.com/snapsho...nightly/gradle

This resulted in functioning Gradle tools within my eclipse, most importantly, the ability to import a Gradle project.

I copied the entire eclipse folder onto my flash drive and brought it to work where I copied it onto my work machine. The springsource tool suite dashboard comes up once I start eclipse, however, when I go to import a gradle project I am presented no option to do so.

Is there some sort of functionality that ties the User License agreement, post install, to the system mac address that is blocking me from being able to copy my eclipse install to a new machine? I'm unable to do the install at work from scratch due to firewall and bandwidth restrictions.

Hey!

There is no license agreement or something similar that is blocking you from copying an STS installation to another machine and just zipping up everything and extracting it on another machine should usually work. Do you see the gradle plugins in the plugins directory of your extracted STS installation?

-Martin

Comment

Yes, as seen in attached screenprint.
      com.springsource.sts.gradle.ui.taskview_3.0.0.2012 04302259-SNAPSHOT.jar and com.springsource.sts.gradle.ui_3.0.0.201204302259-SNAPSHOT.jar can also be found in the plugins folder.
      Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey!

Did you try to start your copied version with the "-clean" option? Maybe that helps... Otherwise we would need to dive deeper into some runtime analysis...

-Martin

Comment

I'm not sure this will help but it is worth a try. Can you try running STS from the commandline with -clean option.

Also have a look in the error log file. See if there are any indications of problems during the startup / initialization of the plugins that might have gotten logged there. You can open the STS/Eclipse error log via "Windows >> Show View >> Error log".

Kris

Comment

I attempted the -clean option just now, but to no effect. I cleared my log and upon a fresh eclipse.exe -clean, the following is what is in my log (doing a search on the "com.springsource.sts.ide.ui with connectorKind jira" error indicates the error can be "safely ignored", but you would be the experts :

!SESSION 2012-05-18 09:57:07.879 -----------------------------------------------
            eclipse.buildId=M20120208-0800
            java.version=1.5.0_21
            java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
            BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
            Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -clean

!ENTRY org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.ui 4 0 2012-05-18 09:57:16.968
            !MESSAGE Could not load repository template extension contributed by com.springsource.sts.ide.ui with connectorKind jira

!MESSAGE Could not load repository template extension contributed by com.springsource.sts.ide.ui with connectorKind jira

!MESSAGE Could not load repository template extension contributed by org.eclipse.mylyn.bugzilla.ide with connectorKind bugzilla

Comment

Anything showing up in the Error Log view inside Eclipse/STS?

Comment

My previous response is the Error Log output from within Eclipse.

Comment

Hey!

Does the "Error Log" view in Eclipse show any other entries? (your posting looks like a log file rather than an entry from the Error Log view). Anything with a stack trace maybe?

-Martin

Comment

The "Error Log" I provided is the verbose file version of what you see in the Eclipse view, which you can see by clicking the "Open Log" button to the right of the Error Log tab when it has focus.
                    By running java in Console mode, the only additional output I get in the console is: "[Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file." .

There is no stacktrace to be found at "configuration/<timestamp>.log" either. Please advise if there are additional locations that log files can be found.

Comment

Hi Sham,

The errors in your log file seem pretty harmless. (The 'Fatal' error is some Eclipse/STS component trying to parse an empty .xml file somewhere, and it is being very vocal about this. The error is there all the time and not really an indication of a problem).

Unfortunately this leaves us with little info to diagnose a problem. The logs seems to say everything is ok. But what behavior you are describing seems to suggest that Gradle plugins are just not installed/active.

At this point I don't really have a good idea on what to do to diagnose it further. I'd recommend just trying to re-install the gradle plugins again, or is there a reason why you can't?

Kris

Comment

Low Bandwidth & firewall rules does not allow me to do so on site. I will have to try again from my home where I got it working in the first place.

Comment

Hi Sham,

Perhaps the solution for you is to install the Gradle plugins from a zipped up copy of the update site.
                          Here's one that you can try to use:
                          http://dist.springsource.com/snapsho...updatesite.zip

To install it go to "Help >> Install New Software". Then click the 'Add' button to add an update site. And add this zip as an update site. You shoyld then be able to install from the zip just like from an update site on the internet.

Note that this zip is actually a 3.0.0 snapshot build but it should be compatible with 2.9.1 STS (the gradle tooling doesn't have strong ties to any STS specific APIs, just Eclipse 3.7.2 APIs).

I would give you a pointer to a 2.9.1 version of the zip but I'm not sure where to find it ATM. When I find out I'll update this thread with the info.

Kris

Comment

Amazingly, that did not work either (at my workplace). I'll also try this zip from home to ensure I'm not going insane. I can't think for a moment how I can be having such problems with a copy of an eclipse that works fine on my home system, yet refuses to work on this system (and have no tangible error log with which I can infer issues from). I'll get back to you.

Thanks for your attention.

Comment

> ... did not work either

Frustrating.

Did you get errors when you tried to install it?

Kris

Comment

Working...
                              X