X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Template Project option not appearing STS 2.9.1

I was just looking today for a Spring Template Project and to my surprise I no
    longer have the option showing up. Has anyone else run into this problem?
    Is there a fix? I have searched the internet to no avail.

I use File > New > Other... Select a wizard... > SpringSource Tool Suite
    and find only 1) Spring Roo Project or 2) Task-Focused Tutorial

I am using STS 2.9.1.RELEASE, upgraded from 2.8.1, upgraded from 2.7.1

I did use this at one time. In my original workspace folder on my PC I can see the following listed:
    .metadata/.sts/content
    > org.springframework.samples.springtravel-2.5.2-20000702-1200
    > org.springframework.templates.mvc-3.0.12
    > org.springframework.web.tutorials.webprojectovervi ew-1.0.0

Any option other than re-installing STS (upgrades were painful) would be most helpful.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Hey!

If you are not seeing the "Spring Template Project" anymore when you try to create a new project, it looks like there is something broken with the installation. So we can try to fix this, but that might require some work. So the easiest way would be to re-install STS, but I can also help you with the "lets try to fix the existing installation".

Please go to the Console view and open an OSGi host console. This gives you access to the runtime that is currently running your IDE. Please type in the "ss" command (for short status) and look for a bundle with the name "com.springsource.sts.wizard". Do you find one? Or multiple? And what is the state of this bundle? (INSTALLED, ACTIVE, etc.) You can also try to execute the command "diag" followed by the number of that bundle to see why it might have a problem and let us know what comes out of this.

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
      I have the same problem as whoke.
      The ss command give this output
      osgi> ss

Framework is launched.
      58 INSTALLED com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE

the diag command:

osgi> diag com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE
      Cannot find bundle com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE.

Comment

Hey!

Ok, the INSTALLED state indicates a problem within the installation and that some bundles within the installation have conflicting dependencies. What happens if you run "diag 58" (using the ID number of the bundle instead of the name)?

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
          thank you for reply, below the output you asked me

osgi> diag 58
          reference:filelugins/com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE.jar [58]
          Direct constraints which are unresolved:
          Missing required bundle com.springsource.sts.quickfix_0.0.0.

Comment

Hey!

This shows that another, required plugin from STS is not available or not resolved (maybe also in the INSTALLED state). Can you do the same for that bundle, etc, until something shows up from the diag command that is not referring to some com.springsource.sts bundle?

Did you also try the to start STS with the -clean option?

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

And thanks vito.chiarello for mentioning you have the same problem.

It appears that mine turned out a little different. Martin, I took you diagnostic
              approach further after the first ss, diag iteration. I appreciate your help and guidance very much.

Here is the list:

osgi> ss
              2181 INSTALLED com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE
              osgi> diag 2181
              reference:filelugins/com.springsource.sts.wizard_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE.jar [2181]
              Missing required bundle com.springsource.sts.quickfix_0.0.0.

2164 INSTALLED com.springsource.sts.quickfix_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE

osgi> diag 2164
              reference:filelugins/com.springsource.sts.quickfix_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE.jar [2164]
              Package uses conflict: Require-Bundle: org.springframework.web; bundle-version="0.0.0"

2052 RESOLVED org.springframework.web_3.1.1.RELEASE
              2053 RESOLVED org.springframework.web.servlet_3.1.1.RELEASE

osgi> diag 2052
              reference:filelugins/org.springframework.web_3.1.1.RELEASE.jar [2052]
              Missing optionally imported package com.caucho.burlap.client_[3.2.0,5.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.caucho.burlap.io_[3.2.0,5.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.caucho.burlap.server_[3.2.0,5.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.caucho.hessian_[3.2.0,5.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.net.httpserver_0.0.0.
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed.atom_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed.rss_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.io_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package javax.portlet_[2.0.0,3.0.0).

osgi> diag 2053
              reference:filelugins/org.springframework.web.servlet_3.1.1.RELEASE.jar [2053]
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed.atom_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.feed.rss_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package com.sun.syndication.io_[1.0.0,2.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package freemarker.cache_[2.3.14,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package freemarker.core_[2.3.14,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package freemarker.ext.jsp_[2.3.14,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package freemarker.ext.servlet_[2.3.14,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package freemarker.template_[2.3.14,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package jxl_[2.6.6,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package jxl.write_[2.6.6,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package net.sf.jasperreports.engine_[2.0.5,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package net.sf.jasperreports.engine.design_[2.0.5,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export_[2.0.5,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package net.sf.jasperreports.engine.util_[2.0.5,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package net.sf.jasperreports.engine.xml_[2.0.5,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel_[3.0.2.FINAL,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem_[3.0.2.FINAL,4.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.awareness_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.context_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.definition_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.definition.dao_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.definition.digester_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.evaluator_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.evaluator.el_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.evaluator.impl_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.factory_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.impl_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.impl.mgmt_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.jsp.context_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.locale_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.locale.impl_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.preparer_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.renderer_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.servlet.context_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.tiles.startup_[2.1.2,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.velocity.tools.generic_[1.4.0,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.velocity.tools.view_[1.4.0,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.velocity.tools.view.context_[1.4.0,3.0.0).
              Missing optionally imported package org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet_[1.4.0,3.0.0).

Comment

Hey!

This is the interesting piece here:

Originally posted by whoke View Post
                osgi> diag 2164
                reference:filelugins/com.springsource.sts.quickfix_2.9.1.201203221000-RELEASE.jar [2164]
                Package uses conflict: Require-Bundle: org.springframework.web; bundle-version="0.0.0"
                I guess there are multiple versions of org.springframework.web installed, not just the 3.1.1 version, right? Or maybe multiple versions of other org.springframework... bundles that are causing confusion. Do you use your STS installation from the distribution (upgraded to 2.9.1) without any additional plugins? Or did you install something else as well?

Those package use conflicts appear if there are multiple versions of libraries installed for some reason (and other bundles have conflicting version constraints set for the imports). Do you see anything suspicious when you look at all the projects that are installed and what maybe could use an old version of some spring libs?

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
                  WOW, that was quick!

My initial thoughts on your questions:
                  - Original install was 2.7.1 which was completed by a person no longer here.
                  - A new person added two(2) additional "workspaces" to my original workspace
                  - I upgraded myself to 2.8.1(or .3) myself
                  - Unfortunately, I don't remember but my guess is that I upgraded from workspace #2 instead of #1
                  if this is even important(?). I do remember upgrading in the same week as I was having difficulty
                  with 2.8.1 - menu items disappearing from where they were before, help missing, very slow processing
                  at times.
                  - I upgraded myself to 2.9.1
                  - Once again, I don't remember but my guess is that I upgraded from workspace #2
                  - 2.9.1 has been much nicer - menu items back, fast for the most part, only the template problem
                  exists right now.
                  - I am running these diagnostics from workspace #1. Should I use #2?

Also,
                  - In workspace #1 - I'll call it my tutorial workspace, I have multiple projects, each from
                  separate tutorial examples on the internet. For example, a Maven project, a Spring MVC project,
                  and Ant project. The Spring MVC project needed cut and paste directly into the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib
                  of possibly older Spring libs. The question arises, should I create separate workspaces for different
                  archetypes? Would that have any impact on this situation?

I'll also do some more checking on my pc to search for other clues based upon your questions.

Thanks very much, Bill

Comment

Hey!

Your workspaces shouldn't make a difference here. The problem is part of the running installation, not the workspace that you selected. Its just a question of what plugins are installed in your IDE and how they depend on each other.

But reading your history sounds much like a clean STS installation would be a good think to do. You should be able to continue to use your existing workspaces and projects and all that. So maybe make a backup of your workspace data, do a clean STS installation to a different location on your drive, start it and select one of the workspaces that you would like to use. I think that is the easiest way to go.

HTH,
                    Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
                      I was afraid of that...Will do...
                      Thanks very much Martin for your time and attention, Bill

Comment

Hi Martin,
                        I have the same output as whoke and my installation is clean and is not an upgrade.
                        I downloaded springsource-tool-suite-2.9.1.RELEASE-e3.7.2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz and extracted in /home/vito/springsource2.9.1 I have the old 2.8.x version in /home/vito/springsource.

Vito

Comment

Hey Vito!

You see the same package use conflict message in your console when you are using your freshly installed 2.9.1 installation? Or do you mean a different output?

-Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,
                            after a reinstall of 2.9.1 version the Spring template project are visible.
                            Thank you.

Vito

Comment

Hey Vito!

Good to hear its working now! Thanks for letting us know!

-Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X