X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow IDE

I'm using STS (SpringSource Tool Suite) and if I type something (like simple tabs or spaces) then STS takes a long time to respond: why?

It seems to happen with long files .groovy.. (~700 rows)

Any idea? any trick?

I am seeing similar performance issues with STS 2.9.1 running under Ubuntu 11.10 (VirtualBox). I have plenty of processor power (the vm has 3 3GHz Xeon processors) and memory (4GB), so that shouldn't be an issue.

It is so slow to build a war and deploy it that when I try to test with the vFabric tc Server the server times out!

Comment

Ok, but it's not usable as editor! I can't wait up to some seconds anytime I type a character in some files.

Maybe you could disable some content assist kinds, but I don't know which ones and if this is the right way to follow..

Comment

I just replied to your thread on grails-user. As Andrew mentioned, look in the STS error log (accessible through Window>ShowView>ErrorLog - or some other similar path to showview on windows). Does it have anything unexpected in it?

And please raise a jira at https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS to cover the slowness
        and we can use that to track progress on the problem.

Andy

Comment

Thanks for the response, Andy. I will post the results of the error log as well as raise a jira.

Comment

Andy, Quantum

I have resolved the IDE issue in my environment. I tried the following:

- Changed JDK from OpenJDK to Oracle (no effect)
            - Added ~.5 GB of RAM (large effect)
            - stopped using firefox as browser and went to Chrome (noticeable effect)
            - turned off Folder Sharing in VirtualBox (noticeable effect)

In other words, it turned out that memory and some processor overhead were causing the problems. I started top and looked at how much vm STS was using and realized that between STS, Firefox, and Ubuntu I was woefully short of VM. I also found some comments on the web that VB folder sharing could cause delays (from being based on Samba).

So I bumped the available memory, ended using Firefox (Chrome uses about 50% of the VM in my usage patterns), and switched off shared folders. STS is quite responsive now and usable.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mike. There is now an issue open related to the slowness that QuantumUniverses was seeing which doesn't sound memory related (but you never know) https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2570 . Under that jira I'm asking for stacktraces (jstack) when it is on a 'go slow' to see if we can pinpoint what it is doing.

Andy

Comment

Working...
              X