X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Joe!

Thanks for trying out, its still a mystery to me why you can't use the normal way of installing stuff...

-Martin

Comment

I finally figured out my download problem! It was the JDK version I was using. I had the latest (JDK 1.7.0_02-b13), but after switching to JDK 1.6.0_25-b06 all of my downloads work!

Comment

Hi!

Thanks again for finding this. I filed an issue to track this problem and to come up with a fix that makes it work with JDK 1.7.0:
        https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/STS-2478

Cheers,
        -Martin

Comment

hi guys, i am new.

i also cant install extensions. last week i installed (grails update, grails support and groovy eclipse plugin.
          today i set up a new computer and i want to install those but "Grails Support" doesnt work:

i checked it in the extensions tab and click on install. then the pop up comes but nothing happens. when i click on details there is just standing Installing Software. but nothing happens. i am waiting now 30 minutes. and a tried it the third time.

whats wrong here?
          Last edited by manuzi1; Mar 5th, 2012, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnesjd View Post
            I finally figured out my download problem! It was the JDK version I was using. I had the latest (JDK 1.7.0_02-b13), but after switching to JDK 1.6.0_25-b06 all of my downloads work!
            did you fix that in window -> preferences -> java -> install jdk or did you make a new installation?

this happens with 7.0.2, maybe this will help you:
            Code:
            An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
            session context was:(profile=com.springsource.sts.ide, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
            Unable to read repository at http://download.eclipse.org/tools/aj...0216092900.jar.
            Connection reset
            Unable to read repository at http://download.eclipse.org/tools/aj...20301-1100.jar.
            Read timed out
            Last edited by manuzi1; Mar 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I kept getting lots of Connection Timeout errors while trying to set up Grails 2.0 on STS when I first started... this was on Home Win7 laptop and also on a Work XP PC.

I googled something which said to add the following at the end of your STS.ini (which is located in the directory with the STS binaries)
              Code:
              -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
              -Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=200000
              -Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=200000
              -DretryAttempts=20
              -DreadTimeout=2000000
              -DcloseTimeout=2000000
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.readTimeout=20000
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.retryAttempts=30
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.closeTimeout=1000
              This fixed all my timeout issues relating to the downloads.

To be clear, my STS.ini looks like this
              Code:
              -startup
              plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
              --launcher.library
              plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502
              -product
              com.springsource.sts.ide
              --launcher.defaultAction
              openFile
              --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
              384M
              -vmargs
              -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
              -Xmn128m
              -Xms256m
              -Xmx1024m
              -Xss1m
              -XX:PermSize=128m
              -XX:MaxPermSize=384m
              -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
              -Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=200000
              -Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=200000
              -DretryAttempts=20
              -DreadTimeout=2000000
              -DcloseTimeout=2000000
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.readTimeout=20000
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.retryAttempts=30
              -Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.retrieve.closeTimeout=1000
              HTH

Comment

why you have no path to a jde in your ini?

-------
                my problem is "fixed":
                its workin now, i just donwgrade from jde 7.02 to 6.26. know i can add the grail support plugin.

Comment

Hello, I have the same problem: installed STS 2.9 in my user-repository ( under WIN7) and wanted to include the extensions :
                  I get always "timeout"..
                  Also when I add the link above in the "Available Software Sites" I get after a very long time

Unable to connect to repository http://dist.springsource.com/release....7/content.xml
                  Connection timed out: connect

and in the "Event Details" of the Error Log I find
                  Unable to connect to repository http://dist.springsource.com/release.../artifacts.xml

and as session data :
                  eclipse.buildId=2.9.0.201203011000-RELEASE
                  java.version=1.7.0_03
                  java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
                  BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
                  Framework arguments: -product com.springsource.sts.ide
                  Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -product com.springsource.sts.ide

Comment

Hi!

The URLs that you mention don't exist and should return quickly in a way that the Eclipse/STS update/install mechanism knows where to look instead of waiting for a connection timeout. This usually indicates network/firewall configuration issues, so maybe you are behind a corporate firewall or something similar which is configured in a certain way and causes trouble in this case. Just guessing because what was the problem of other people reporting the same symptoms.

I would recommend to either check the network/firewall configuration or download the archived versions of the update sites (available from the STS download site) and install the support from that archived zip file. In case you want to install Groovy-Eclipse at the same time, you would need to download that archived update site as well and install Groovy-Eclipse from that site.

HTH,
                    Martin

Comment

I am installing in windows 7 x64. I used the .exe file to install. I am getting
                      about 1/2 of the way through the input that I expect in the Extension tab
                      (retrieving listing.....) the line only progresses about 1/2 way to the end
                      part of the Dashboard. I want to see " Grails, Gradle Support, Grails Support,
                      Groovy Eclipse, and the rest, but they never come up. All I get is:
                      "Failed to discover all connectors. See 'Details' for more information."
                      Unfortunately I did not ask for information at this point or it was not offered.
                      I am trying to complete this. I have this up under Fedora and I have
                      eclipse already on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (but I want to get SpringSource
                      on MAC as well. I am working to convert a C++ program to Java and I
                      need to learn Java. This looks like a good sandbox to play in. Any Help for
                      a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

-Grace
                      Organic Software & Computers
                      NNNN
                      z
                      Last edited by GraceBT; Mar 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: to add (retrieving listing....)

Comment

Do you know what Java version STS is trying to use? You can check the -vm parameter in the STS.ini file located in the root directory of where you installed it. That's the first thing I'd check given the issues I had.

Comment

Solution!

I had the same problem with STS and Eclipse.

It's a bug of Java 7 in Windows7 64 bits. The solution is to downgrade your java version to Java 6. Doing that, eclipse and variants like STS works perfectly.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for posting the solution, highly appreciated. Do you have a reference to the JDK7 bug on Win7 64bit? Any link to the bug database would be great to keep track of it. Thanks!!!

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
                              Hi!

Thanks for posting the solution, highly appreciated. Do you have a reference to the JDK7 bug on Win7 64bit? Any link to the bug database would be great to keep track of it. Thanks!!!

-Martin
                              Hi Martin,

I haven't found any reference from Sun... But it's something related to sockets...

Regards

Comment

Ok, thanks for the follow-up!

Cheers,
                                -Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X