X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optimal ram for STS on intel?

Are any of you guys using an Intel Mac with Snow Leopard or Lion for Spring app development with STS? What have you found to be the acceptable amount of memory for this? What about the optimal amount?

I'm considering an older Macbook with only 2GB of memory that I can get cheaply, but I'm afraid 2GB won't be workable. My max on 32bit JVM on an older Powerbook G4 now is about 1516 MiB. Of course, to make use of more memory I'll have to use the 64-bit version of the JVM. Anyone can tell about the performance of 32bit/64bit JVM and STS on 2GB or so compared to more?.
    Last edited by MiB; Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM.

I typically run with 1GB of xmx heap size and a max perm gen size of 256. This generally works for me (and I tend to have well over 100 projects open at once). I also use the 32 bit JVM since my experience with 64 bit is that it runs slower and takes up more memory (but I don't have any data to back that up).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you Andrew. I interpret your data as it's viable to use a macbook with 2GB with STS. I'm going to try a portable PC with this amount of memory with Linux as well.
      Last edited by MiB; Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Hi!

I am using the settings mentioned here in my comment to this entry:
        http://forum.springsource.org/showth...ttings-for-STS

If you are using a 64bit JVM, just don't forget to set the CompressedOpts option (if not enabled by default on your JVM).

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X