Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
STS 2.8.1, Roo Shell hung Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • STS 2.8.1, Roo Shell hung

    I am on STS 2.8.1, and I have seen a problem since upgrading where the Roo Shell started from within STS hangs on all commands.

    The Roo Shell starts fine, displays the banner, but any commands pile up as "executing" in the Progress tab. The only work-around I have found is to run the Roo Shell from command line. It doesn't appear to be a problem with the Roo Shell, as I have tried several projects I have, all ranging from Roo Shell version 1.1.5 to 1.2.0.RC1, and they all do the same thing.

    I tried asking for help in the IRC channel, but it was pretty dead. I am hoping someone her can guide me on where to look to correct whatever problem might be keeping this from working.

  • #2
    Hi!

    Can you start STS from the console and try again to execute Roo commands? Would be interesting to see what the Roo output on the console is and if we can see there what is going wrong. Can you try that?

    And you mention that "since upgrading" the problem appears. Do you mean since upgrading STS to 2.8.1? From what other version?

    -Martin

    Comment


    • #3
      I upgraded from 2.7.2.RELEASE, using the popup that comes up when there is a new version. I assume this is the same mechanism as if you do a Help->Check for Updates.

      I ran the STS app from command, started the Roo Shell, and executed a 'perform eclipse'. It did the same thing, where it hung on executing, but I got destracted and had let it sit for a while. About 30-40min went by, and finally, the 'perform eclipse' ran. So, it may not be hanging indefinately, but instead it seems like its just taking forever to actually run the command. Once the command ran, it was pretty fast, finishing in a few seconds.

      I did see this one error when I first started STS:
      Code:
      [Fatal Error] :1:1: Premature end of file.
      [debug] execute contextualize
      [debug] execute contextualize
      [debug] execute contextualize
      [debug] execute contextualize
      [debug] execute contextualize
      [debug] execute contextualize
      It happens once the Dashboard tab shows up. I dont think its related, though

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi!

        An additional note: Using Spring Roo from within STS (using the Roo Shell view), you typically don't need to execute any Eclipse commands on the Roo command line. This should be taken care of by STS itself. You should be able to create a Spring Roo project within STS, open the Roo Shell view and type in the commands as usual, all the Eclipse-related project setup is done automatically.

        Cheers,
        -Martin

        Comment


        • #5
          I know. I was just trying to run something non-destructive, and was drawing a blank. That was the first thing that came to mind. It would have been better to run a 'poll now' of 'finder list', but my brain being divided among tasks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Ah, okay... :-)
            Just wanted to make sure you know... ;-)

            Cheers,
            -Martin

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, update to this thread:

              I had a mate of mine pull my project from GIT and try it. He was also using 2.8.1 STS, with Roo 1.2.0.RELEASE, but he is on a Windows 7 laptop that is fairly new. After some time of messing around, he too got the "frozen process" issue. And, just as I have seen, when he tried to stop STS it hung coming down for over an hour.

              So, this may not be my laptop after all. It may be a problem with STS. Has anyone else seen these issues? His install of STS 2.8.2 was fresh, and mine was an update from a previous 2.7 release, so I don't think its a problem with the upgrade process, but it definitely appears there is something buggy happening. I can provide any logs needed, or can open a Jira as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hm, sounds like there is something buggy going on indeed. Can you open a JIRA for this and describe the steps to reproduce this problem? The most critical part for those bugs is often to get it reproduced on our machines so that we can debug and fix it properly. So anything that helps us here would be highly appreciated (sample projects, logs, steps to reproduce, stack traces). For example, if your process is frozen, please capture a stack trace (via jps and jstack) and attach it to the bug as well. Maybe that helps us figuring out what is going on here.

                Thanks for your help with this!!!
                -Martin

                Comment


                • #9
                  For those following, Jira story 1230 was opened for this problem. I have included a console log and jstack dumps during the problem.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the ticket and all the details!!!!!!

                    Cheers,
                    -Martin

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X