Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Web app debugging problem- changes not reflected - always cached version of old build Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web app debugging problem- changes not reflected - always cached version of old build

Hi -

When I debug my spring mvc app - changes to my app controller are not showing up. This appears to be a problem with the way sts builds my app because it will eventually dump the old version, but not without significant fiddling. (Clean module work directory, Clean Tomcat work directory, delete server config, clean build, restart sts, restart os, pray, pounds fists on desk. repeat.)

This is a major issue for me and I will have to abandon this product if I can't debug code changes quickly. I've scoured the interweb without success. Has anyone run into this issue?

I began using the tcServer, but abandoned this as it would have similar problem that was made worse when I was unable to shutdown last debug session and so the port was always already being used. This caused a runtime error when trying to launch a new debug session.

I am now debugging with apache tomcat instance. I am working on Mac OS with the STS 2.7.2 release. Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Peter

Hey Peter!

Can you provide some steps to reproduce this from within a clean STS installation? Something like "do this, then do that, the problem appears in this way, correct would be that"? That would be great and would help us a lot to figure out what is going wrong here in your case.

Aside of that we have a quite advanced technology now in STS called agent-based reloading that helps you to reduce turnaround times a lot. Using agent-based reloading, you can change a lot of stuff without the need to restart the server or to redeploy the app. You might want to take a look at this as well, sounds like you have some good use cases for it.

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Hi Martin -

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will look into agent based reloading. I don't have time to do a reinstall at the moment. Have you not heard of anyone experiencing this issue before? Is there some troubleshooting thing I can try first?

For example, where are the temp server configuration files normally located? Can I perhaps check my tomcat security settings or something?

Peter

Comment

Hey Peter!

You can take a look at the deployed files when looking for the directory for the tc Server instance within the tc Server installation directory. There you find the typical tomcat directory structure with all the deployed apps.

HTH,
        Martin

Comment

Working...
        X