Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud foundry server not showing

Hello yall,

This is my first post on this forum.
    Probably a stupid newbie questiion, but I installed the Cloud Foundry Integration, but I don't see the cloud foundry server as an entry in the 'new server' section.
    There shoud be a new map 'vmware' with the choise 'Cloud Foundry' in there.
    I tried installing from the dasboard, and also form the eclipse marketplace.
    No errors, it just says 'installed'.
    But so far I can't see: zippo, nada, no cloud server.

I also installed most STS options. Any idea's what could be done about this?
    My eclipse version is 3.7.

Regards,
    Ibanezje

Hi Ibanezje!

The Cloud Foundry entry should show up when you are going to create a new server. These is a category called "VMware" that has the Cloud Foundry server type in it. If this is not showing up, there seems to be something wrong with the installation.

Can you take a look at the "Installation Details" from the "About" dialog? Is the SpringSource Tool Suite Cloud Foundry Integration listed there as installed when looking at the installation history?

Can you also take a look at the Error Log view? Maybe there is something suspicious...

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lippert View Post
      Hi Ibanezje!

The Cloud Foundry entry should show up when you are going to create a new server. These is a category called "VMware" that has the Cloud Foundry server type in it. If this is not showing up, there seems to be something wrong with the installation.

Can you take a look at the "Installation Details" from the "About" dialog? Is the SpringSource Tool Suite Cloud Foundry Integration listed there as installed when looking at the installation history?

Can you also take a look at the Error Log view? Maybe there is something suspicious...

-Martin

Hi Martin,

I've just switched to STS from classic eclipse and have a very similar problem while trying to get the example hibernate project to run in cloud. Downloaded Spring Tool Suite (Version: 3.2.0.RELEASE) installed Mac dmg release.

1) I added cloud foundry.
      2) For some strange reason I RC on the cloud instance in the Servers tab and deleted it.
      3) It is still listed as installed in the 'extensions' tab but is not displaying as an deployment option in servers or on 'run in server'.
      4) As Martin suggested I went to 'About' -> 'Installation Details' and saw it listed under 'Installed Software'
      5) I highlighted it and hit 'uninstall' and restarted sts.
      6) When it came back the state had changed subtly: still listed as installed under installation details but now the 'Uninstall' button is greyed out. Its still absent from 'Servers' and listed as installed.

Out of ideas here but found another clue?

Typed 'server' in eclipse prefs and found that Server --> Runtime Environments lists the Cloud Foundry Runtime and VMWare vFabric tc in the name column but the entry for Type for the Cloud server is empty.

I removed this and went back to 'extensions' tab of dash board - Cloud Foundry now listed as uninstalled - bingo (but still listed as installed in 'About / Installation Details'). Restarted STS.

Went to extensions and installed Cloud Foundry.

When Eclipse returned checked extensions and it says CF installed but still no cloud option in Servers - darn.

Am I missing something?

Mike.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for raising the issue. I'd like to get a bit more information, if possible.

When you said that after you re-installed the Cloud Foundry feature in STS, you did not see the Cloud Foundry option in Servers, were you referring to the New Server wizard, or the Servers view tab?

The New Server wizard can be opened by one of the following:

1. The STS file menu: File -> New, and searching for "Server"
        2. Right-clicking in the Servers view tab, open the context menu to select New -> Server.

Also if possible, can you check if 4 Cloud Foundry plug-ins appear in the Plug-In Registry View in the STS where you re-installed Cloud Foundry:

Window -> Show View -> Plug-In Registry

In the search box, type "org.cloudfoundry"

The four plugins are:

org.cloudfoundry.ide.eclipse.server.branding
        org.cloudfoundry.ide.eclipse.server.core
        org.cloudfoundry.ide.eclipse.server.rse
        org.cloudfoundry.ide.eclipse.server.ui

Thanks.

Nieraj

Comment

Hi Nieraj,

Thanks for responding...

A. New Server View

Either...
          1. The STS file menu: File -> New, and searching for "Server"
          2. Right-clicking in the Servers view tab, open the context menu to select New -> Server.

shows a list of app servers (jboss, tomcat etc) and a VMware package. I expect the VMWare package to contain the localhost vFabric and a cloud instance but there is no cloud instance (it is marked as installed in extensions tab).

B. Plugin Registry View
          There are no org.cloudfoundry plugins in the plugin registry.

C. Installed Software View.
          Cloud Foundry Integration for Eclipse 1.4.0.201302222117-RELEASE org.cloudfoundry.ide.eclipse.server.feature.group VMware, Inc.

shows and has 'uninstall' greyed out.

Mike.

Comment

Hey Mike!

It looks like something went wrong with the installation. The easiest way to solve this is to start with a fresh STS distribution and install the Cloud Foundry extension into that fresh installation.

We could also try to find out what exactly went wrong in your case and try to repair it, but that requires more low-level work and I am not sure whether you would prefer that (since it would take longer to solve).

Let me know what you think!
            -Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

I started from scratch. Pointed the new sts to existing workspace, integrated cloud foundry server and just deployed a test app to it - amazing. I've been silo'ed off from the world on a spring project I started 5 years ago and see how busy you guys have been in the meantime.

I still have the previous deployment and would be happy to help you track it down if you think its general enough and not just a local screw up. Let me know what you need.

Mike.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for offering to help tracking down the previous issue. If you have time and you still have your old installation, I was wondering if you could go to the following main menu in STS:

Help -> Install New Software.

Once the wizard dialogue opens, can you go to "Work with" and in the dropdown, see if the following URL is present?

http://download.springsource.com/rel...S/cloudfoundry

If so, can you select it, and then select "Core" component from the list, then click "Next" to complete the installation?

If you do not see the URL, you can either check if it is there but not enabled by going clicking on

"Available Software Sites"

Then click on the checkbox beside the URL, if you see it. If you don't you can also click "Add" and then add the URL to the list, which after you click OK in the Available Software Sites, will take you back to the installation wizard, and you can then select the URL from the drop down again.

If the installation gives you errors about the software already being installed, then most likely there the P2 metadata for CF feature was probably not correctly cleared when you uninstalled it the first time. In that case, the best course of action would be what you already did, which is to install from scratch, rather than try to manually clear the P2 data for the CF feature from your installation.

Thanks.

-Nieraj

Comment

Hi Nieraj,

Okay, wasn't in the drop down nor un "Available Software Sites". I added the url above (http://download.springsource.com/rel...S/cloudfoundry in which the dots look odd?) and eclipse rejects "No software site found at http:///download.springsource.com/rel...S/cloudfoundry)..." - it gives me an access denied when i tried it directly.

BTW My new installation is up and running.

Thanks,

Mike.

Comment

Hey Mike!

Please use the underlying hyperlink as the URL to paste into the Eclipse/STS dialog, not the text that appears for the link that has the dots in it...

HTH,
                    Martin

Comment

Working...
                    X