Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.8.0 Installer wants a JRE 1.5.0?

Attempting a STS v2.8.0 installation on a Win7Enterprise 64 bit environment with Admin privileges. Both the 32 bit and 64 bit installers pop a "Installer - SpringSource Tool Suite" dialog saying:

"This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0"

I'm currently using STS v2.7.1 with 32 bit jdk 1.6._20 without issues.

I have attempted the STS v2.8.0 installation with 64 bit jdk visible to the environment with the same results.

Any ideas?

Hey Dan!

I tried running the STS 2.8.0 64bit installer on a Windows 7 64bit machine (having a JDK 1.6.0_24 installed) and the installer runs fine. So lets try and see what is different in your environment and what might cause this problem that you are seeing.

Does the dialog shows up immediately after running the installer or when you select the JDK you wanna use for STS (after several pages of the install wizard)? And what does "java -version" returns when executed from the command line?

Best regards,
    -Martin

Comment

Martin,

Interesting that it worked for you.

The dialog displays immediately on running the installer. The installer never gets to a point of selecting a JDK.

I have both 32 bit and 64 bit JDK installations, and since you're using a 64 bit version, I've mapped my JAVA_HOME to the 64 bit version. So my "java -version" reports:

C:\temp>java -version
      java version "1.6.0_24"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

Just to let you know I didn't want to stay blocked so I went ahead and installed the zipped version of STS 2.8.0, mod'ed a setting or 2 in the STS config file and got it up and running.

However, I'd really like to solve this installer thriller if you're willing as well.

Thanks,
      Dan

Comment

Hey Dan!

First of all I am glad to hear that the zipped package worked for you and that this isn't blocking you.
        And I would indeed be interested to find out what is going wrong with the installer. Although I have no concrete idea at the moment how to track this down... Is there any kind of log file or so written by the installer?

Cheers,
        -Martin

Comment

Martin -

no log files that I can see....
          I'm running the installer with Admin privileges and still no joy....

Comment

Hi Dan!

Weird issue... Do you have a JDK installed only? Or also a JRE?

-Martin

Comment

Hey Martin,

I have both JDKs and JREs installed. Just for grins I switched my JAVA_HOME to point at the JREs and reran the installer but got the same error for both versions. Beats me what's going on....

Comment

Hey Martin,

I have both JDKs and JREs installed. Just for grins I switched my JAVA_HOME to point at the JREs and reran the installer but got the same error for both versions. Beats me what's going on....

Comment

I googled around for this a bit and it seems to be vaguely related to the JDK install or maybe multiple JDKs installed. So maybe some PATH or registry settings are messed, but I am just guessing here...

Comment

Hi everybody! My name is Julio, Im from Spain and Im trying to make an application web with Spring and Hibernate using SpringSource Tools Suite. Ive had several problems but the one that suprises me the most was that it doesnt matter how bad I write the code , I neve get errors or warnings. Ive just try installing Jdk 1.7 and JavaFX 2.0 and Java RunTime 2.0 and it continues in the same way. I have some screenshots that could help you to realize if its related to the way Ive created my proyect or if I need some libreries more or whatever. Thanks a lot.

Attachment
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Julio!

Hard to say from here what is going wrong, but I would strongly recommend to setup a fresh STS installation using the installers and start with a Spring MVC Template project, for example. Does that would for you?

HTH,
                      Martin

Comment

Awwww,,, Thanks a lot . Finally I can see the red X at the end of my wrong words.

Julio

Comment

Example

How could I get an example of a complete Application Web made with SpringSource Tools Suite 2.8.0 using Spring and Hibernate connected with a database????

Julio

Comment

Hey Julio!

Did you take a look at the webinar as an introduction to Spring and the SpringSource Tool Suite?
                            http://www.springsource.com/webinar/...rce-tool-suite

HTH,
                            Martin

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I get this issue on a clean install of Windows 7.

When I run the STS installer (spring-tool-suite-3.1.0.RELEASE-e4.2-win32-installer.exe), I get a message from the Installer: "This application requires a Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0" I'm running it as administrator.

JAVA_HOME is set to a JRockit 1.5.0_22 JRE. %JAVA_HOME%\bin is in PATH. "java -version" from a command prompt returns "blah blah 1.5.0_22 blah blah".

Unpacked STS from zip. Works when JAVA_HOME is set.

Unsetting JAVA_HOME, and trying to run STS (unpacked from zip) does not work and tells me that I need a JRE or JDK and javaw.exe in my PATH.

Looks a lot like this is a bug in the installer.

-Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X