Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only one of the following can be installed at once:

Only one of the following can be installed at once:
    Java Development Tools Core 3.7.0.xx-20110921-1600-e37 (org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.7.0.xx-20110921-1600-e37)
    Java Development Tools Core 3.7.0.v_B61 (org.eclipse.jdt.core 3.7.0.v_B61)

I have seen this sort of error several places, sometimes blamed on directory perms, sometimes folks have to reinstall, usually it is with a fresh install of STS (like me, 2.7.2 in my case) followed by installing Grail support.
    Basically reinstalling when the install is fresh is disquieting ...

Is there a solution? Why does this continue to be a bug? Can't it be solved?

thanks,
    owen

Do you have the full error message?

If you are seeing a "Shared install" problem, then this is an Eclipse-p2 problem:
    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=332158

Assuming that this is the problem you are seeing, unfortunately there is not much that we can do. However, one of the goals of p2 for Juno (the Eclipse code name for the 3.8 release) is to help fix many of these shared install problems.

You may not need to do a full reinstall if you can ensure that your install directory and all sub-directories are writable. However, if you have installed in the C:\Program Files directory on windows, then you will need to move the installation.

Let me know if this helps.

Comment

The install location is the answer

So even though it is a P2 problem, in response to the statement "unfortunately there is not much that we can do":

1) The default Windows installation directory should never be 'Program Files' with this bug! This is obviously costing users HOURS of needless trouble, the default should be immediately changed to C:\SpringSource then this would work around the bug right away, in fact the user should be warned to avoid "Program Files" AND

2) the faq should be updated to say "just exit STS and move the SpringSource folder out of 'Program Files', the Start-Menu shortcut will still work, it will fix everything in one minute."

thanks for the help though,
      owen

Comment

Yes, we know about these problems. You would think it is easy to specify a different default directory, but apparently it is not. We are trying to decide what to do about this.

As for documentation, we can do a better job on this one. This is described in the Groovy FAQ, in the Grails-STS FAQ, and in numerous places in the forum and bug reports. But there are other places we can put out this information.

Comment

Working...
        X