Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS - Eclipse

Hi,

I am working on a project and planning to use spring, hibernate, JSF, weblogic server 11g on eclipse IDE. I am a newbie trying to understand STS and eclipse, I know installing STS will give eclipse IDE, but we really want to install all the plugins in the dropins folder so that we can share the folder. Can anyone please let me know the advantages of installing STS directly or add STS as a plugin to eclipse and the better way to use the dropins folder for other frameworks.

Thanks

I cannot answer your question directly, but there seems no better option than getting something going in the standard STS,
    and perhaps using that as a guide to rolling your own.

It would be interesting to see exactly what STS provides beyond the linking of Tomcat to Eclipse. What are the STS additions to such a mix?

Certainly one advantage would be in there testing that Tomcat/tcServer works in STS - but what else does STS provide?

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by greeshma View Post
      Hi,

I am working on a project and planning to use spring, hibernate, JSF, weblogic server 11g on eclipse IDE. I am a newbie trying to understand STS and eclipse, I know installing STS will give eclipse IDE, but we really want to install all the plugins in the dropins folder so that we can share the folder. Can anyone please let me know the advantages of installing STS directly or add STS as a plugin to eclipse and the better way to use the dropins folder for other frameworks.

Thanks
      Installing STS directly from the download packages gives you the complete and pre-configured set of plugins and runtime environments, like Spring Roo, tc Server and Maven. Its all bundled together and ready configured so that you should be able to start working on Spring projects right away without any extra work. Installing STS as a set of features from the update sites brings you the same functionality, but you would need to install and configure Spring Roo, tc Server and Maven manually. Therefore I mostly prefer using the STS packages and go from there.

With regards to the dropins folder: We don't provide a download of all the raw plugins/features for the dropins folder, so that would require some additional extra work to get everything together you need to have STS being installed completely from the dropins folder. I haven't done this before and would avoid this extra work of manually hacking the dependencies together.

Just my 2 cents,
      -Martin

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by gjpaul View Post
        I cannot answer your question directly, but there seems no better option than getting something going in the standard STS,
        and perhaps using that as a guide to rolling your own.

It would be interesting to see exactly what STS provides beyond the linking of Tomcat to Eclipse. What are the STS additions to such a mix?

Certainly one advantage would be in there testing that Tomcat/tcServer works in STS - but what else does STS provide?
        STS provides a lot more stuff than just putting together tc Server and Eclipse. At the core of STS is the support for the Spring programming model, including really advanced support for working with Spring configuration files in XML, including content-assist, validation, quick-fixes, refactoring, visualizing Spring aspect weaving directly within your code, you can work with Spring Roo projects directly within STS, there is a huge support being implemented for working with Groovy and Grails projects, Gradle is supported, etc. You can see, there is a lot of stuff in STS that makes live easier when working on Spring and/or Grails projects.

Hope this provides some insights... :-)

Cheers,
        -Martin

Comment

Working...
        X