Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
STS 2.71 and Aptana plugin - anyone using it - having trouble starting after install Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.71 and Aptana plugin - anyone using it - having trouble starting after install

Hi there I have 2.71 and have just installed the aptana plugin and after its suggested restart I get a null pointer.

I am looking at the memory params to see if that could be the issue:

-Xmn128
    -Xms256m
    -Xmx768m

Attachment

It would be good to know if this issue is just mine or a common one?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Hey!

Are you getting a NullPointerException or the JVM startup failure you posted via the screenshot?
    If you wanna check the JVM settings, I would try to start a JVM with the same options via:

java -Xmx768m -version

(I would put all the -X... options in there). If that gives you the version of your JDK back, those options should be fine. Otherwise you can try to reduce, for example, the Xmx value to make the JVM happy again.

If its a NullPointerException that you are seeing, could you post the stack trace here? (maybe also in a .log file within the configuration folder)

HTH,
    Martin

Comment

Thanks for your reply Martin,

Initially I saw a popup with the null pointer, and then the jvm message I displayed. I will try some of the options manually and let you know. I didnt get a stack trace.

Thanks
      Chris

Comment

Hi,

I have now run from the command line the following based on the error message

Code:
        "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_17\bin\javaw.exe" -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -Xmn128m -Xms256m -Xmx768m -Xss1m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -jar "C:\Program Files\springsource\sts-2.7.0.RELEASE\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar" -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -showsplash -launcher C:\Program Files\springsource\sts-2.7.0.RELEASE\STS.exe -name STS -launcher.library C:\Program Files\springsource\sts-2.7.0.RELEASE\plugins/org.eclipse.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.100.v20110502\eclipse_1406.dll -startup C:\Program Files\springsource\sts2.7.0.RELEASE\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar -launcher.overrideVmargs -exitdata 2018_48 -product com.springsource.sts.ide -vm C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_17/bin/javaw.exe -vmargs -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -Xmn128m -Xms256m -Xmx768m -Xss1m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -jar C:\springsource\sts-2.7.0.RELEASE\\plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.v20110502.jar
        The IDE starts
        It prompts to confirm the workspace
        The IDE starts
        It starts loading in the status bar bottom right..."loading cloud model" and then I get :

"Launch Installer Wizard has encountered an error" in a dialog - when I select "details" it says

Null Pointer Exception but no stack trace.

I am not sure which log in the configuration directory is useful - does anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

Just incase this helps anyone else. STS by default had an older 1.50 plugin for selection and not the correct plugin download:
          http://download.aptana.com/studio3/plugin/install

I removed the old plugin manually, after testing some memory changes which did not make any improvements.

Comment

Sorry for not coming back to this earlier (was on vacation). Did you solve the problem in the meantime?

-Martin

Comment

Thanks for coming back Martin,

Yes I solved it, by manually removing what I think was an old aptana install. Somehow the plugin selected must have been old. I've installed the new one from
              http://download.aptana.com/studio3/plugin/install

and it is working well thank you.
              Thanks
              Chris

Comment

Glad to hear you got everything working!!!

Cheers,
                -Martin

Comment

Working...
                X