X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STS 2.7.1 - ROO shell not starting or showing null

I am trying to create a ROO project on STS 2.7.1. If I use the menu Create new roo project, a project is created with nothing but a single dependency to JRE System library.No other folders, files.

If I try using Roo Shell, I get a null..

probably Windows 7 security

In Window 7, when ROO starts up for the first time, it creates a cache folder and the user under which STS runs did not have permissions to create or write a file.I moved the ROO folder to the root folder and changed the folder permissions to Full Control for Authenticated Users. It works now.

Droidment

Comment

Thanks for sharing your solution with us!!! And glad to hear that you solved the problem!!!
      But I think the tooling should at least tell you that it failed to write that cache files. I will put that on our backlog.

Cheers,
      -Martin

Comment

An Alternate solution

Originally posted by droidment View Post
        In Window 7, when ROO starts up for the first time, it creates a cache folder and the user under which STS runs did not have permissions to create or write a file.I moved the ROO folder to the root folder and changed the folder permissions to Full Control for Authenticated Users. It works now.

Droidment
        Even an adminsitrator will have trouble installing in the default location under "Program Files" I installed the whole thing in another location outside the Program Files folder and all works great. You can even reinstall into another folder and your workspace will be retained, simple easy.

Comment

ubuntu 11.04

I have the same problem in ubuntu. what should i do to fix it?
          i can start roo with "roo.sh" script, but not in the sts roo shell.

Comment

investigate the permissions set for the roo directory an related directories within the springsource directory.

Comment

ubuntu 11.04

unfortunately it didn't help at all.
              I gave springsource folder and all subfolders and files (including roo folder, workspace) all permissions.
              Tried to install sts in root folder and start it from root (with all permissions to folder and subfolders/files),
              Nothing helps.

Comment

OK, Have you checked your logs for what happens when you try and startup Roo from within STS?

Comment

The problem was in jdk 7.
                  I'd reinstalled sts with jdk 6, and roo shell started correctly!

Comment

This is a know problem with Spring Roo and got fixed for STS 2.8.0. So running STS 2.8.0.M1 or M2 will allow you to use Spring Roo from within STS when running JDK 7.

Cheers,
                    -Martin

Comment

I thought STS 2.8M1 had problems with Roo 1.2, as did STS 2.7.1 (fixed in 2.7.2). This is fixed also in the 2.8 nightly updates?

Comment

So, here is the complete picture:

- STS 2.7.1 works with Spring Roo 1.1.5 and JDK 6
                        - STS 2.7.2 works with Spring Roo 1.1.5 and 1.2.0.M1 and JDK 6
                        - STS 2.8.0.M1 works with Spring Roo 1.1.5 and JDK 6 and JDK 7
                        - STS 2.8.0.M2 (coming up this week) and STS 2.8.0.RELEASE (planned for mid Oct) works with Spring Roo 1.1.5 and 1.2.0.M1 and JDK 6 and JDK 7

The latest nightly builds of STS 2.8.0 provide the compatibility mentioned for 2.8.0.M2.

HTH,
                        -Martin

Comment

So will the Roo 1.2Release work at all with jdk 1.5? Or partially? I was hoping that 1.2Release would at least be workable under jdk 1.5 until next incremental release, but we don't always get what we hope for.

jdk 1.6 mac hardware is an attainable prospect and I'm going there soon out of necessity, but I'll have to finish my current projects using Roo 1.2 nightlies and STS 2.7.2 / 2.8.x. This with jdk 1.5. In worst case scenario Eclipse Helios with Spring IDE under jdk 1.6. Helios being the last version to work in Linux on my soon "to be repurposed for other duties" PPC hardware).

Comment

I don't have any information about Spring Roo 1.2.0 release NOT being compatible with JDK 1.5 (STS runs with JDK 1.5 as well), but you might wanna also ask the Roo team for JDK 1.5 compatibility.
                            I just focussed on the relation between JDK 1.6 and 1.7 (that was what people asked before on this thread) and didn't mention JDK 1.5.

-Martin

Comment

Configuring new Roo project....forever and ever...

Still have the same issue on Win 7

STS
                              Version: 2.9.1.RELEASE
                              Build Id: 201203221000

ROO
                              spring-roo-1.2.1.RELEASE

Thanks,
                              Nikhil

Comment

Working...
                              X