X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

Hello. I am a newbie to STS, Spring and Java. Need some guidance to setting up the development environment. Read the STS installation tutorial but it did not specify the environment. I know first i need to install a JDK. Then do i install the STS or eclipse ? Does STS need eclipse or its already with eclipse, so i dont need to install eclipse?
    Another thing i am confused is about the spring library. I know STS include Maven and it will handle the spring dependency file, so do i still need to download the spring library ?
    Any help or point me to the right documentation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

STS is Eclipse with a set of Spring tools already installed into it, so its easier just to download STS and use that instead of downloading Eclipse and getting all the plugins installed.

STS also includes a copy of tcServer which you can use for development. Again, this makes it easier as you don't need to download Tomcat and get it configured in Eclipse.

For Spring development, you can create a Spring template project. This uses Maven and downloads the relevant Spring libraries for you so you do not need to download Spring separately.

For more info about STS, check out the following Webinar.

http://www.springsource.com/webinar/...rce-tool-suite

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for a quick reply. So this means i just need the jdk and sts to get started. Great.
      Thanks for the pointer to the videos. Will go though it. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello Davey.
        Spring can use xml, annotation and javaconfig. So which one do you use? Which one is the future trend? javaconfig? Which one to learn first?

Comment

Hi,

I use a bit of each.

I usually define items that I am never going to change (e.g. database connections or view resolvers) in XML.

I always use annotation injected beans rather than injecting via XML.

I don't use Java Config much, but mainly for accessing MongoDB via the new Spring stuff.

In essence, you probably need to learn all three, but if it was me, I would learn XML, Annotations and then Java config in that order.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Will start learning them.
            Is there any performance difference?
            Can you use a mixture in one bean or use one for one bean and another for another bean? You understand what i am asking?

Comment

I don't think there is any real performance difference in any of the techniques.

You are free to mix and match the techniques that you want. You are free to choose how you want to develop.

Comment

So much choices. For a newbie it can be very overwhelming. Need time to digest all this.
                For data access, i see also got choices like JPA and JDBC. Which one do you use David? Any best practice for a newbie?

Comment

Again, its up to you - you can use which technology you want. By programming to interfaces, you can easily switch one implementation out for a different one.

If you are familiar with SQL then JDBC may be the easiest to learn.

Comment

Working...
                  X