X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• granting token in password flow using group-based access

From all the examples I've seen, it looks like the typical scenario in password flow is to always issue a token to an authenticated user and let subsequent requests to protected resources dictate whether the logged-in user is authorized to access them.

I have a slightly different use case. How can I set it up in password flow so that only authenticated users in a certain role (i.e., LDAP group) would be granted a token? All other users (whether unauthenticated or unauthorized) would receive an error message.

I will be supporting other flows (auth, client) so whatever solution posed here cannot override other flows. For example, a simple solution to my use case would be to change:

Code:
    <intercept-url pattern="/oauth/token" access="IS_AUTHENTICATED_FULLY" />
    to:

Code:
    <intercept-url pattern="/oauth/token" access="(my specific role)" />
    But then this would change the access pattern for non-password flows as well, which I don't want.

Is it possible to have separate <http> blocks pointing to the same URL for different flows?
    Last edited by jrod; Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:34 AM.

Originally posted by jrod View Post
    How can I set it up in password flow so that only authenticated users in a certain role (i.e., LDAP group) would be granted a token? All other users (whether unauthenticated or unauthorized) would receive an error message.

I will be supporting other flows (auth, client) so whatever solution posed here cannot override other flows.
    OK, I think I found the answer. My first attempt extended ResourceOwnerPasswordTokenGranter.getOAuth2Authent ication(), but I abandoned this after realizing that the chain of TokenGranters is associated with the AuthorizationServer. This would have forced me to replace the convenient namespace tag for a custom CompositeTokenGranter chain and replacing the ResourceOwnerPasswordTokenGranter with a custom subclass -- while possible, I felt this was a bit much.

Instead, I noticed the following line one level up the call stack in AbstractTokenGranter.getAccessToken()...

Code:
    		return tokenServices.createAccessToken(getOAuth2Authentication(outgoingRequest  ));
    ...and chose to override DefaultTokenServices.createAccessToken() to account for the exclusive use case, falling back to the superclass implementation for most normal cases.

Code:
    public class CustomTokenServices extends DefaultTokenServices {

private static final GrantedAuthority CUSTOM_AUTHORITY = new SimpleGrantedAuthority("SOME_ROLE");
    	private static final String CUSTOM_CLIENT_ID = "custom-client";

@Override
    	public OAuth2AccessToken createAccessToken(OAuth2Authentication authentication) throws AuthenticationException {
    		String clientId = authentication.getAuthorizationRequest().getClientId();
    		Collection<GrantedAuthority> authorities = authentication.getAuthorities();

if (clientId.equals(CUSTOM_CLIENT_ID) && !authorities.contains(CUSTOM_AUTHORITY))
    			throw new InvalidGrantException("Could not authorize user: " + authentication.getName());

return super.createAccessToken(authentication);
    	}
    }
    But, I wonder now, is this a bad design since I'm delegating authorization failure to the TokenServices rather than handling it in TokenGranter?

Comment

Your token services do not distinguish between grant types, so you don't actually do what you said you wanted to do (only override password grants), although I don't see any reason why it shouldn't add that check. Personally I would prefer to change the TokenGranter. It should be easy to add a <custom-grant/> to the <authorization-server/>.

Comment

Working...
      X